Woodworkers..save Your Fingers..

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:14 PM

I think it would be worth it. It may not keep you from a cut finger but you might get to keep your fingers. I have been sort of an electronics geek at times in my life. The only issue is that if you have any kind of rubber glove on it more than likely won't work as well.

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:31 PM

It is a very cool concept, but I also wonder just how well it works.

Last summer, my uncle had almost lost his hand in a drop saw. He has worked with power tools his whole life and does for a living; he is also one of those big safety guys (you know what I mean). He cut 3/4 of the way through his hand diagonally and will never and full mobility. I don't know what happened exactly, but he doesn't either; it was just a freak chance thing.

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:56 PM

That seems like a good idea. But on the other hand, it would probably make people more careless around a table saw if it had one of those installed. And they are still a very dangerous tool. That guy has guts that's for sure. I could never stick my hand into a moving table saw blade like that even if I knew it would stop.

#19 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Confucius say, "Loud scream of saw blade is nothing compared to what careless woodworker make."

Confucius also say, "Man who clean out snowblower chute better stop machine."  I remember that one to this day!:D

#20 Fauschanator OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9926
  • 8 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have heard the guy who owns the pattent on this is out trying to sue and lobby to get laws passed that everyone should have a safety device.  From my understanding the patent holder is not the inventer but a lawyer who bought the pattent and now want everyone to have to pay him royalties.

THe saws are fairly expensive, but they are pretty good quality,  When I'm retired or have a dedicated shop I would think of one,  But for now too expensive,  from my understanding the mechenaism pretty much destroys every thing inside when activated and you send it off an then it is a couple hundred to get a replacment.

I assume it works off the impedence it detects,   I guess there is a by-pass for working with "treated" wood that may be wet and such.

I had the TV on just last week during the daytime and one of those super-duper high powered crooks - I mean LAWYER commercials came on with the video of this blade stop using a hot dog.  It did cut into the hotdog but not all the way through.  Of course it said

"If you have lost a finger in the last 20 years from a table saw blade call the law offices of Cheatun and Screwum.  This technology has been around for 20 years and manufacturers have not utilized it in order to save costs at the expense of your fingers!" 

I guess Cheatum and Screwum has a class action suit filed. 

I guess if you have seizures it would be a good setup - but if you have that problem you probably should not be running power tools anyhow.

#21 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,451 Thanks
  • 17,089 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:24 AM

These have been around for a few years now but are very expensive.

I've had the opportunity to use one and they are a good quality saw, I think they have a setting to where you can turn the device off if you are cutting some questionable wet wood. I have heard some instances where someone ran a board through and it went off due to the wood having some small amounts of moisture in it.