• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GPMPPartners OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hello Bush Hog fanatics.

I am in need of some help. My Grandpa purchased a Bush Hog V4-6 new back in his day and it was passed on to my dad and my dad to me and now me to possibly my daughter or son.

With everything I do I tend to find out everything I can about something so it can be a part of me that gets passed on as well. So what I would like help with is finding out everything I can about these machines including how rare they are and how much value they hold. Let me be clear that it is not for sale how ever. :D I simply want to know so I can tell a complete and resourceful story.

I am considering a total restore on this tractor, but have hesitation about even doing that. The only thing that has been done to this tractor is I had a replica seat made for it and I had to rebuild the carb back when I was in high school as a project. The deck was removed also but I still have all of it to put back on (I hope).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. You will soon find out that we LOVE pictures. If you need help posting pics just ask and we'll point you to some helpful threads.

So, do you have any pics of your tractor? That sure would be great and would help when assessing value. Love to hear stories of GTs being passed along from one generation to the next.

BTW, I now live in Maine but spent 5+ years living in Lincoln and we have near and dear friends still living in Omaha. My dad's family lived in Lincoln as well for many years. What part of Nebraska do you hail from? I've still got a little Husker fever left in me after being gone from NE for 10+ years.

Again, welcome to the forum.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 GPMPPartners OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, I live north of Lincoln.

I will get some pictures tonight and get them posted for you.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,462 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 02:08 PM

GPM, First off, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. I also would like to see some pictures before trying to put a monetary value to it. I will say that because of the family history, it's priceless to you I'm sure.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Welcome to the forum! We can always use another Bush Hog fan!! Can be kinda lonely on our side of the forum some times. :D  :D

Like the rest have said pictures will help. I have not seen many V4-6 in my search for bush hogs so that puts it up there in the rarity part for my neck of the woods.

That being said, I have seen nice D4-10 that were restored going for only $600 or so dollars. Most of us do this for the love of the brand, if we get lucky and do find that jewel.....we usually never sell it no matter how much we can make.

I probably have over $500 dollars in the dump cart I restored- I am only counting the cost of the dump cart, paint, materials, etc.....no time to restore it and no gas to go get it is included. That being said....I would not sell it for $1000.....it probably is the only one I will ever find so money is not a factor (well anybody got $10,000 may want to call me :thumbs: )

I can appreciate the sentimental value, that alone is priceless. I think the history you collect, along with a restoration that shows various stages of the tear down and the restoration would make for a pretty neat album to share. Especially if you had pictures from past to present.

Look forward to the pictures, sounds like what you got is already rare and priceless- a family heirloom- and one of a kind. :thumbs:

Edited by sacsr, January 29, 2013 - 02:22 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 02:49 PM

First off, welcome to GTTalk!  Glad to have another Hog owner on board!

I am currently in the process of restoring my V4-6. Here is the link to the ongoing story:  V4-6 Restoration

They are quite hard to find, but they still don't seem to bring high $'s.  I seen a nicely restored V4-7 (no new decals though) that a fella tried to sell for a long time for $700 & no takers.  I believe he ended up selling it for less, but he dropped off the map, so I don't truly know.  

As far as mine is concerned, value doesn't matter, as I'll keep it till I croak.  You never seem to recover $'s in a restoration, but once finished,  I'd not take less than $750 for it if I was forced to sell.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,523 Thanks
  • 7,383 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check out the manuals for downloading and the photo galleries. Take care of that tractor and you'll be giving you grandkids rides on it. Check around your family for pictures of it over the years and record any stories that it was involved in. It is an heirloom.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,677 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 06:18 PM

And as others have said, :wewantpics:  no matter what shape your GT is in! We like them all!

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure we'll see some pics before long (check out the last line in my signature for help there). Hopefully, one of the guys can elaborate on the history of these for you!