• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Excellent job to her :dancingbanana:  and good job being a supportive husband to you. :thumbs:

• A.C.T. said thank you

#17 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Congratulations to your wife.  Very determined.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:12 AM

That makes her 45 now... same age as me... I, too, went back to school; albeit under different circumstances; I lost a very good paying job in a steel mill as a millwright, with abundant overtime, because I got hurt badly ---in my own front yard, no less.  Coincidentally, I was 40 as well, at the time.

I have neighbors 2 doors away, who the whole family is affiliated with health care;  they are empty nesters now, but the Mom and Dad and 3 daughters are all nurses, while  the son works in "loss prevention" at a hospital... guess what profession they tried to talk me into going to...
I came close, as I applied for a couple of Maintenance positions at the local hospital recently but I guess they found someone they liked better...

I went to school and got an Associates in Ag Business, along with a CDL and a pesticide operators license, as I prefer outdoor work most of the time/ I finished all this in May '12.

I figured "we gotta eat, right" so there would be plenty of job security in AG.... but I found that growing up in a farming community and hanging out with my farming buddies wasn't "close enough" experience wise  It seems these days, with the economy and job market as it is, what you started in is where you're gonna be stuck;   career changes at mid life seem impossible.  Graduating with "high honors" meant nothing these days either, unless it's in the same field you have been in for years. that also does not  equate to experience in  the new field I tried to enter. so my degree seemingly did me no good.  Collen's certainly will!!!

After dibbling at a couple of temp jobs over the last couple of years, I had to go back to where my experience was for 18 years, turning wrenches. Locally these days, any place I went--- even along that field, they want me to bring my 25K worth of tools along for not much over min wage...

so I came across  a State jobs website and found they were looking for a mechanic in the Motor Pool.... offering better pay than any of the local shops wanted to pay...  I left that field in 2005 largely because my pay had "topped out"/ flat lined...

and currently,  independent shops and franchises alike, think I oughtta re enter in 2013 for less than half what I made then and be happy I have a job. cant happen if I wanna pay my bills and eat too. parts sales places arent payin anything more than minimum, either; no wonder they are gettin such idiots behind the counter.  

So, I went and took the State's written test to qualify for their position in October, I then interviewed the beginning of December, went for the drug test 2 weeks later and as soon as I get thru the background check hoops and such I am "in", they take a bit longer than most places.

In my case I didn't leave wrenching because I was tired of it, see above; but for those that do grow tired of "same-old, same-old" daily grind and want to shift gears,  it seems everyone wants to say "too bad you're stuck" these days...

It surely helps Colleen that she was a medical tech to begin with, for sure...I'll bet she understood what the Professors were talking about in those long sleep inducing lectures a little better with that background, than alot of her school peers did.

it's great that she had the guts and stamina to stick it out and complete her goal. Going back to school at 40, is sure harder than at 20.

And it seemed hard then when, I was at the local community college directly out of High school.  I didn't finish what I started then, because it seemed so hard as compared to what high School was. I often find myself wishing that I had. back then, the Commons/pool hall was more interesting back then... maybe why the school I just completed my degree from, didn't have a Pool hall!!!

I know that I definitely felt awkward these last couple of years being back in school; in my case I actually had 3 kids in my classes that just graduated High school--right alongside of my son!

And best of all, I know the pay as an RN is alot more comfortable and easier to take than what a tech makes;

Who knows; the next time I slip off a bolt, the cheater pipe slips and comes back and nails me in the face, I may well need Collen's services....  I know that I have gotten to know alot more medical people since I turned 40, than I ever thought I would...

Edited by dodge trucker, January 29, 2013 - 10:14 AM.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Congrats to her. My sister has went back at 54yrs old and loves it, top of her classes. You can do anything at any age if you put your mind to it. My oldest sister was in college the same time I was, she is 18 yrs older so she was in college about same age as your wife, she is an RN also.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:06 AM

congrats. after being away from school for awile i can make the choice to back hard but its deffinetly worth it as not everyone has a chance to go back.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#21 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Congrats to Colleen for passing the boards!

nurse_graduate_gifts_card-p1379712179749

I remember how proud I was when Mr's M went back to get her MSN after her RN.  Her DNP a few years  later in life was a little much though . :rolling: :worshippy1: 

• A.C.T. said thank you

#22 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Congratulations to her . Well done .

larryd

• A.C.T. said thank you

#23 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Congrats to her. My sister has went back at 54yrs old and loves it, top of her classes. You can do anything at any age if you put your mind to it. My oldest sister was in college the same time I was, she is 18 yrs older so she was in college about same age as your wife, she is an RN also.

I think the school work itself is easier at 40 or 50 than at 18. I went back to school at around age 40. I had a 4.0 and it was a cake walk. All the kids fresh out of high school complained how hard it was. Of course all us older students showed up for class and payed attention to the professor, the younger students didn't think attending classes was all that important.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Congrats to her!  I know it was not easy, I've had night classes myself and they aren't easy.  And it is certainly a field with a lot of demand.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#25 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I think the school work itself is easier at 40 or 50 than at 18. I went back to school at around age 40. I had a 4.0 and it was a cake walk. All the kids fresh out of high school complained how hard it was. Of course all us older students showed up for class and payed attention to the professor, the younger students didn't think attending classes was all that important.

yeah a few years of "school of hard knocks" and "life in general" seems to help make sense of things vs the younger crowd..

and OP; will Colleen be working now as an RN in the same hospital as she has been a tech? knowing the surroundings and working with the same people that she's familiar with, has got to be an advantage, if she can.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#26 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Congrats to her!  I know it was not easy, I've had night classes myself and they aren't easy.  And it is certainly a field with a lot of demand.

yup it sure is!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#27 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Congratulations Colleen.  :thumbs:

That is no easy task to accomplish, going back to school at age 40 and raising a family and household duties.  That is a JOB well done.

:iagree:

Geno

• A.C.T. said thank you

#28 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Congratulations to Colleen.  Takes a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve that goal at any age, even more so when your life is full already.  Way to go!!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#29 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Congratulations to your wife! Going back is not easy and she stuck with it. I am sure she has some stories about the younger students and she had her own trials while there too. Thats says alot about her and her drive for betterment.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#30 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Congrats Colleen. Job well done. You got a ata girl from here! :wave:

• A.C.T. said thank you