sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:09 PM

From what I can gather there were at least 3 if not more models/types of the clutches.

The one I am working on now came off my crusty rusty D4-10. When I took it off last night, I remembered what my old BH dealer friend had told me about there being 2 screws in the hole holding part of the clutch on.....well the outside screws were not there....and I cleaned and tried every allen wrench I had with no luck in finding anything or any part that wanted to turn.....so I am figuring there must not be any screws in the 3 holes......well I put the trusty puller and with some encouragement it came off......you will see from the pictures...the 3 screws were still in the hole......crazy thing is I have not yet figured out how to get them out....I have cleaned and used every allen wrench I have.....none of them grab where ever is down there......any suggestions?? Another part of the rusty clutch that I kept thinking I remembered being in the nos parts I had bought from Jack......yep a new old stock (paint is messed up but much better than my old one) clutch spring was out in the shed in a box!! I will try to lay out everything on a table tomorrow to give those who have never taken one of what to expect and what to look for. My disc was broken (good news is I saw at least one at the dealers place and I will pick it up this week)...image.jpg image.jpg

Edited by sacsr, January 29, 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Scott, you may have to thread nuts on them on the inside, tack weld on and back them out on the inside. Once they're out, you can run a tap thru the hole to chase the thread out.

• Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 06:52 AM

If they are feeling free, use vice grips to turn them. They maybe striaght slots or somebody could have rounded out the hex of the allen. If all else fails, left handed drill bits might get them out.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Being it is off, I also would think Vise Grips would move them, but if not, Brian's "weld a nut" trick should work.  The heat from the welding may do as much as anything.  But while hot, shoot it with penetrant, or rub candle wax over them.

Cub cadet PTO's are extremely similar, and I had one once that would NOT pull off & the allens were stripped.  I drilled each through with a tiny bit, then followed with one that just fit inside the threads.  once everything was apart, I simply chased the threads with a tap & all was fine.  I just got long allen set screws, and ground them to a tip to replace the OE I drilled out.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 06:36 PM

I got another front pto clutch and pulled it apart- I knew it had a damaged part and wanted to start building a good clutch from the parts I had acquired.

In the picture below you are going to see what damage can be done if you do not get the set screws out before pulling off the clutch body.IMG_2947.JPG

Now a good one besides the bad one.

IMG_2952.JPG

The clutch plate will be replaced

IMG_2955.JPG

Edited by sacsr, May 05, 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I got another front pto clutch and pulled it apart- I knew it had a damaged part and wanted to start building a good clutch from the parts I had acquired.

In the picture below you are going to see what damage can be done if you do not get the set screws out before pulling off the clutch body.

IMG_2947.JPG

Here is a good one by the damaged one so you know what to look for.

IMG_2952.JPG

Once taken apart here were the parts in question. I will replace the clutch plate and the damaged part.

IMG_2955.JPG