#1 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:23 PM

I DO understand that we have a younger crowd here and in that regard I, like most others, keep things mellow in posts even tho I feel if you have children at the age in which they are not able to handle something maturely then YOU are failing as a parent to allow them to be on the internet.  That being said, If I have offended anyone with any pics that may or may not have been used in recent "Morning Humor" threads, I do apoligize as this was not my intention.  I choose very carefully when I post things and try to keep them as humor and in good taste in which I feel I have done although I have been told different.  I have children of my own and I can understand protecting them to a degree, however I also realize this is no longer 1932 and things are different.  They learn more from tv, internet, etc than any bad habits they could ever pick up from me.  So once again, I do apoligize to those who are on a very short list of the ones offended.  This is not directed to to any "one" specific either as I have been contacted by a few telling me they just shook their heads at the thought of my posts being overboard.  Thank you, and I will continue to post Morning Humor........in good taste.......

• mjodrey, Moosetales, bgkid2966 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:45 PM

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Its funny how some people are offended about something an older guy says, then 2 minutes later they are swearing worse than I ever have. BTW my wife reformed me from my "Army" mouth 35 years ago.

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:52 PM

I still talk like a Marine. Been out 21 yrs now.

Edited by crittersf1, January 28, 2013 - 09:35 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:53 PM

I haven't seen or heard anything on this site that kids haven't already seen , heard , or don't already know from school , tv , internet , or their friends and other adults But I do understand trying to be respectful . You can't please everyone .

Keep up the good work.

• tractorman604, Moosetales, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,661 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 09:57 PM

This is not only a direct statement to this thread, but more of a broad overview of my personal opinion regarding some of the responses lately to moderation of charged topics, gray area comments/content, and the job the staff does in general.

The members and staff have all set the bar pretty high as to what is acceptable and what isn't. Even if it's "Socially Acceptable" or "Commonplace" does not mean it is OK for this site.

Please, if anyone has post(s) that gets pruned, edited, etc, don't take personal offense. No one here is out to call anyone foul mouthed, dirty minded, etc... We just have reserved the right to edit as we feel the need, and to be blunt, we will do so without apology. We volunteered to do a job because we feel it's important and this is a place worth keeping tidy.

Now, I know a few people will be hesitant to post because of this... That is not my intent. Only meaning to say that if one of the staff feels a post is needing editing or help in some way, it's not a personal attack. We will periodically edit for spelling, format, or context and no one seems to feel oppressed by that... If we see repetitive behavior that needs modified or we feel the need to explain the actions we took we will contact the member via PM.

In short, we do have some younger members... And it's up to the individual parents as to minimum acceptable age for their child. We have had members here as young as 8 and while they may hear or see worse at the lunch table at their school, if you would be uneasy saying or showing something to an 8 yr old at your dinner table, it's probably not GTTalk Fodder.
  • olcowhand, massey driver, mjodrey and 13 others have said thanks

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,315 Thanks
  • 4,912 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have to say that if I still had young ones around it would be nice to know that they could set on my lap and look at the tractor pictures or other things of interest here. Thanks everyone for keeping this site family orientated. 

• olcowhand, ducky, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Oh man.......I missed out on the gun debacle AND NOW on the offensive pic or joke? Where am I going wrong? Could we please create a "BANNED" category so when things like this happen we can pay $1.00 to enter the forbidden zone so we can be offended too? Aren't we funny as humans.....someone says don't or can't and we want to see what we shouldn't or are forbidden to see or do.

On a serious note, I'm a parent who likes to expose my kiddos to reality while protecting them from some of the harshest facts in life. I did not see your post Farmlife so I can't weigh in BUT I have read your response and KUDOS to you for coming out and taking responsibility for what was perceived as bad taste while pushing forward and vowing to keep the jokes coming.

To all of us who need  a reminder about mistakes here are a few thoughts:

Quotes About Mistakes

“I am glad that I paid so little attention to good advice; had I abided by it I might have been saved from some of my most valuable mistakes.”
Edna St. Vincent Millay {this happens to be my wife's favorite poet}

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
Marilyn Monroe

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”
Albert Einstein

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
L.M. Montgomery

“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
Mahatma Gandhi

“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

“To err is human, to forgive, divine.”
Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism

“When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.”
Paulo Coelho, Brida

“If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you've made, if they don't realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go.”
Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.”
Salvador Dalí

“Well, we all make mistakes, dear, so just put it behind you. We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them forward into the future with us.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

“It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.”
Mahatma Gandhi

“Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

“Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.”
Rita Mae Brown, Alma Mater

“We are all mistaken sometimes; sometimes we do wrong things, things that have bad consequences. But it does not mean we are evil, or that we cannot be trusted ever afterward.”
Alison Croggon

“We learn from failure, not from success!”
Bram Stoker, Dracula

“I never made a mistake in my life; at least, never one that I couldn't explain away afterwards.”
Rudyard Kipling, Under The Deodars

“I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being--forgive me--rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

“The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.”
Elbert Hubbard

“Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time.”
George Bernard Shaw

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts”
Jim Morrison

“I'm afraid that we all make mistakes. One of the things that defines our character is how we handle mistakes. If we lie about having made a mistake, then it can't be corrected and it festers. On the other hand, if we give up just because we made a mistake, even a big mistake, none of us would get far in life.”
Terry Goodkind, Confessor

“Makin' mistakes ain't a crime, you know. What's the use of having a reputation if you can't ruin it every now and then?”
Simone Elkeles, Perfect Chemistry

“The mistakes I've made are dead to me. But I can't take back the things I never did.”
Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

“But what if I make a mistake?' Will asked. Gilan threw back his head and laughed. 'A mistake? One mistake? You should be so lucky. You'll make dozens! I made four or five on my first day alone! Of course you'll make mistakes. Just don't make any of them twice. If you do mess things up, don't try to hide it. Don't try to rationalize it. Recognize it and admit it and learn from it. We never stop learning, none of us.”
John Flanagan, Erak's Ransom

“One mistake does not have to rule a person's entire life.”
Joyce Meyer, Any Minute

“Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not. ”
C.G. Jung

“Everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is to not make the same mistake twice.”
Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.”
Bill Gates

“Mistakes are the growing pains of wisdom.”
William Jordan

“God knows I'm not perfect, either. I've made tons of stupid mistakes, and later I regretted them. And I've done it over and over again, thousands of times; a cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred. But even so, every time I learned something about myself-Misato Katsuragi”
Hideaki Anno, Groundwork Of Evangelion

“We all make mistakes but one has to move on.”
Jeffrey Archer

“The 50-50-90 rule: anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.”
Andy Rooney

“You must never feel badly about making mistakes ... as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons.”
Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

• tractorman604, boyscout862, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,294 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Farmlife, I have smiled or even chuckled at all the morning humor jokes you have posted. And while I agree with you (100%) that kids can find stuff that is 10 times worse than anything you will find here on GTT is readily available for minors to view on the internet almost everywhere, they are not going to find it here. Ever.

Since I became a mod and started looking through the older mod-land threads about risque' posts, I constantly see a 'family-friendly' emphasis on the ultimate decision. They've been very consistent with that from the get-go.

While I think it's hilarious when June reminds Ward that he was awfully hard on the Beaver last night, I really don't want to explain that to my 7 year old over breakfast.

• mjodrey, DougT, tractorman604 and 8 others have said thanks

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Alan, As a father of 3-12, 14 and 21 yr. olds. I agree with everything you have said in your post. I am EX-ARMY and I can hold my own with the most foul mouthed people, or I should say used to. The fact is that this is a site about garden tractors, the best site on the net I might ad. I do enjoy a good joke as well as the next person, but when my wife and I started having children, it changed things for us. We are responsible for what our children become, and more over we are responsible how we come across to other peoples children.

I became a member here because it truly felt like a place where I could let my children could come to and I didn't have to worry about what they might see or read. BTW my 14 yr.old daughter is a member here and I know that she sees and hears things at school that I can't control. When she is here, I know that she isn't going to pick up something that she might think is cool to say or do. Here we can All control what is posted, not just us Moderators.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but we as a nation need to control how we come across to the youth of the country, I think this is part of the reasons we see so many problems with our youth now.  This is just my opinion and not to be seen as the stance of the site

• olcowhand, mjodrey, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#11 Guest_gravely-power_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:18 PM

As a Father of 3, albeit grown and gone from the roost, I and my wife believe we did one heck of a job. Not one ever got into any trouble outside of kid pranks. My oldest works as a senior machinist for General Electric. My middle son is a supervisor for a government agency and my youngest is in college getting a masters in physics. He already has a degree in business admin. and one in computer science. So they have done well.
Never, ever were they coddled, like so many in the last 2 generations, and the present one. My opinion is the younger generation, meaning the doctor Spock generation do not live in the real world, but in one that does not, nor ever will, exist. It's humans, after all that we are dealing with.
Farmlife, you did nothing wrong. I enjoy your morning humor and hope you continue.
Just say'n.

Edited by MH81, January 28, 2013 - 11:33 PM.
Unnecessary name calling

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,661 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:32 PM

I am usually one to turn the other cheek on stuff. I will not abide with any more name calling. We went thru several threads that we had to lock up and or edit because we were "coddling" and wanted to keep the site as it was intended... Non confrontational, friendly, and fun...

Now we are again at an impasse and a gauntlet has been thrown down.
I will say this one time and once only... The next person who resorts to name calling or any other form of belittling mannerism at one of my fellow mods for doing the job they volunteered for, will be trying to log in unsuccessfully for the next three days.

Not kidding.
  • olcowhand, mjodrey, Orangeman05 and 7 others have said thanks

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:33 PM

I just want to say this to put everyone with any doubt in their mind at ease. I have been here posting for about 2 years, and so far I have never been oppressed, and 97% of my posts have never been modified, and even the few that were modified, were by me. I don't go back and read many of my own posts, but if I can post without problems, I don't think anyone else is incapable (I mean come on, I am the GTTalk test dummy LOL).

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, January 28, 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:39 PM

One thing to add to Alan's post. You guys have absolutely zero to worry about until otherwise told within the confines of a PM from any of the moderation staff at GTTalk. They are not generally going to say anything unless as noted by Alan, "It becomes a recurring problem." The staff here WILL NOT call you out in public about posting behaviors like has been seen with many other forums in the past.

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Reading this I seem to think most of the parents on here have already smashed their kid's TV sets!  Good thinking, maybe there's hope yet...

• Texas Deere and Horse, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks