• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Asking dumb ????? here... What is the function of the ball,, (where the drawbar goes ) on each end of the lift assembly ??? and could I do with out ??? and just drill holes and pin from there ??

I may be missing something here  BUT   wouldn't the upper link assembly bind in some way when raiseing the  lift assembly ...

Not a farmer   YET !!!    sodi

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:03 AM

The ball joints at the end of the lower lift arms allow the implement to move around without wearing one the pins or the holes.

The upper lift link keeps the implement level or where ever you set it at.

• mjodrey, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:04 AM

And those ball joints are called "HEIM Joints"

• mjodrey, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:08 AM

The ball joints also make it easier to get the arms over the pins one at a time or when the attachment is not perfectly aligned with the arm.

• mjodrey, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:08 AM

The ball joints also make it easier to get the arms over the pins one at a time or when the attachment is not perfectly aligned with the arm.

Forgot that, thanks JD.. :thumbs:

• sodisr said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:16 AM

I used to wrestle with my 300+lb rear blade on the 2320 3pt before I got the imatch. I was glad to have those ball joints.

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for asking....I learned something today.

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:08 PM

This seems very doable but at that point it is only a 2 pt hitch.$(KGrHqIOKi!E1yNv1GzJBNiVnrNv2Q~~_3.jpg

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:21 PM

OK !!  now I was thinking of makeing a 2X2 drawbar with holes to fit a briney yoke.. BUT I need the 3pt to keep the drawbar and yoke from swiveling on the lower lift arms

Any thoughts from here ???

What keeps the lower lift arms--(that are stable to the axel  ) and the upper link assy from binding when you lift the 3pt. ?? It seems like haveing 3 stationary points when it is lifted it would bind ... This is very confuseing to me and don't want to purchase anything before it is clear to me   

Thanks sodi     ps.. maybe we can get this thing done yet..

If this is someones tractor here,,, Thanks for the pic It shows a-lot and helps me understand what I a'm trying to build

Edited by sodisr, January 28, 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 09:04 PM

The picture you posted of the 3 pt didn't have the "top link" on it . This isn't a great picture but here's my PK  with a draw bar and ripper I made for it ,Al

Attached Thumbnails

• 0403091752.jpg

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 09:10 PM

If you have a 3-pt it easier to just get or make an "A" frame like this.  I bought one of them for my 3-pt hitch. Here's his web site:

http://www.ballardfa...cat0sleeve.html

The video at the bottom will show that the 3-pt in operation.

I'm giving serious consideration to getting another one since I have two tractors with 3-pts.  I'd really like to get this one for the quick attach feature, but it's a LOT of $$$

http://www.xtrememot...s/CC-19-100.htm

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 09:15 PM

So   If I weld  brackets to a draw-bar,,, and up to the top link assy  I could then ,, per-say have a 3pt ???

#13 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Was wondering if anybody could give me some measurements  Please.. for a 1477 lg frame bolens..

What is the width inside the the brackets that are on the axal  houseing that a tiller would bolt to, on each side.. I know it is 18" center to center,overall width,, but the inside width of each bracket..would a heim ball fit inside it..the pic I sent shows the lower lift arms on the inside of those brackets...

Also-- what is the depth of the bracket to center of hole..  Maybe thats why the pic shows them inside the brackets ???

I'm wondering how far out from the tire should I make my ball ends..I need enough to clear tires,and then attatch a draw-bar,but the longer it is the more stress on the tractor and attatchment for lifting. SO if any one has a 3pt how far does it stick out from the lower brackets -strait out no bends-- to the ball ends ???

next I will be making some lift rods and brackets to weld to the lower lift arms... I need a total width of the trans and  OR  how wide are the hydro lift arms  ??? so I can  determine the bracket spacing..That I will be welding on to the lift arms...

My tractor is 200 miles from here for the winter..and being winter trying to keep busy in the shop..My mind is full of ideas and my tractor is so far away and no way to measure these things..

SO any help would be app.    Thanks  sodi

#14 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:21 PM

This seems very doable but at that point it is only a 2 pt hitch.attachicon.gif$(KGrHqIOKi!E1yNv1GzJBNiVnrNv2Q~~_3.jpg

Whats that tank for ? or not your tractor ?

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Whats that tank for ? or not your tractor ?

That is one of the earlier Large Frame Bolens.  The HT Large Frames used a different 3-pt

...  Maybe thats why the pic shows them inside the brackets ???

I'm wondering how far out from the tire should I make my ball ends..I need enough to clear tires,and then attatch a draw-bar,but the longer it is the more stress on the tractor and attatchment for lifting. SO if any one has a 3pt how far does it stick out from the lower brackets -strait out no bends-- to the ball ends ???

next I will be making some lift rods and brackets to weld to the lower lift arms... I need a total width of the trans and  OR  how wide are the hydro lift arms  ??? so I can  determine the bracket spacing..That I will be welding on to the lift arms...

My tractor is 200 miles from here for the winter..and being winter trying to keep busy in the shop..My mind is full of ideas and my tractor is so far away and no way to measure these things..

SO any help would be app.    Thanks  sodi

Those lift arms are on the inside of the tabs, because the opening between the tabs is too narrow for the ball end to fit.  What you show in that pic is most of the 18010 3-pt hitch for the earlier large frames.

Quite frankly, it would be easier to just find one of the 18010 hitches for sale.  By the tine you find and purchase the parts, and count your labor, it would be cheaper.  I'm betting that Bob from Bob's tractors or Rick Show would have one of those.  You can contact them through the SPONSORS section in the main forums listing.

Here's the link to the 18010 parts list:

http://gardentractor...0-3pt-hitchpdf/