21 replies to this topic

#16 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• Member No: 7954
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:05 AM

Moose:

I'd venture a guess that is a 1980's Speedex 1630. I have a 1632 and aside from the taller front wheels on mine, you have a large frame Speedex. If you have any tools and know how to use them, that tractor will run forever. I've modified mine somewhat, but I can attest to the simplicity and durability of these tractors. That, and I just like working on them.

See my 1632 versus my WH 310-8. I'm really anxious for some snow so I can test out my hillbilly engineering. :)

Check out the attachments and let me know what you think.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT4291.JPG

Attached Files

• Texas Deere and Horse and Moosetales have said thanks

#17 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:06 AM

I believe it's an early 70's model. Looks identical to mine. I still haven't found any numbers on my frame.

• Moosetales said thank you

#18 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Moose:

On the left side of the frame (under the flywheel) you should find a small riveted plate (approx. 1/2" x 2"). If there is, see if you can use some thinner to remove some of the custom green paint from this tag. This can provide info on build date for your Speedex. Additionally, from the pic, your engine seems to be an original Briggs motor. On the top of the engine shroud, you can use some thinner or wire brush to clarify the engine code located on the shroud. Go to the Briggs website to obtain info on the engine year and hopefully, back into an approximation on year of manufacture.

If you haven't found this already, there is some interesting info on how Speedex got started. Near relative to Wheel Horses. See the history located here:

http://www.speedextr...nformation.org/

Is your mower deck 42" or 48"? Either way, I may be able to help in the rebuild (if needed) and tuning the blades.

Tom

• Moosetales said thank you

#19 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:44 AM

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. I wish this tractor was sitting in my garage but alas it is not. The seller finally emailed me back yesterday but only wrote back to say, "I'll be in touch." UGH! I guess you can say he/she's not eager to part with their machine.

#20 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Moose:

I'd venture a guess that is a 1980's Speedex 1630. I have a 1632 and aside from the taller front wheels on mine, you have a large frame Speedex. If you have any tools and know how to use them, that tractor will run forever. I've modified mine somewhat, but I can attest to the simplicity and durability of these tractors. That, and I just like working on them.

See my 1632 versus my WH 310-8. I'm really anxious for some snow so I can test out my hillbilly engineering. :)

Check out the attachments and let me know what you think.

Tom

Those are nice looking machines.

#21 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Moose:

Thanks for the compliment!

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Sorry to hear this, as I read on I was waiting for some good news. Hopefully the seller is actually going to let it go eventually.

BLHW, those are great looking tractors!