Time to Vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Lombardini Diesel Engine

lombardini diesel engine.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,981 Thanks
  • 8,210 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Anbody know anything about these?  http://newlondon.cra...3552028264.html

3k33Fc3Le5K15Fa5Jed1hf3264de4019b1a56.jp

It claims 9hp and wants $400.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 02:20 PM

LOL. I was going to post this same add and question. But I have been feeling to sick to even post. The only thing I noticed on this one is I think it is set up to run a constant speed? Maybe it could be modified for a throttle easy? Good luck if you decide to get it :D

#3 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Im not so sure its 9HP but yeah, never heard anything negative about them, i have used many in the past with no problems. Depending on where you are and what you intend to use the engine for you might want to check that the dealers have good spares backup. Of course the history of the engine counts too, but you wont know that till you hear it.

http://service.lomba... 1-5302-387.pdf

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,361 Thanks
  • 5,508 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:06 PM

Like my Lister's a lot of these were used in traffic control signs. I have no experience with them personally but they've been around a long time. When the early Simplicity's were sold with diesels, they were Lombardini.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think Kohler has some affiliation with them. I think the new Kohler diesels are either made by Lombardini or Kohler has actually bought into the company. 

#6 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:20 PM

That makes sence, i spoke to them a few months ago and in the correspondence i noticed "A Kohler company" written, they must have bought it for the Diesels, not sure Kohler make diesels? so that would be tempting for them to have a hand in each market.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 10,981 Thanks
  • 8,210 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'll pass on it. I was curious because its close by. I sometimes think I want a diesel generator to run on vegetable oil. My other choice is to run a 2 cylinder Wisconsin generator on woodsmoke. I've got several of the Wisconsins so I'll just go that way. Chris, I hope you feel better by now. Be real careful there are several nasty bugs that can gang up on you so you end up with head, body and stomache problems at the same time. Good Luck, Rick

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,547 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I think Kohler has some affiliation with them. I think the new Kohler diesels are either made by Lombardini or Kohler has actually bought into the company. 

That makes sence, i spoke to them a few months ago and in the correspondence i noticed "A Kohler company" written, they must have bought it for the Diesels, not sure Kohler make diesels? so that would be tempting for them to have a hand in each market.

Can't speak as to Kohler but they used to be relabeled and were sold as Briggs engines. 

Under edit disregard my post.  I think I am thinking of Daihatsu's

Edited by IHCubGuy, January 27, 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'll pass on it. I was curious because its close by. I sometimes think I want a diesel generator to run on vegetable oil. My other choice is to run a 2 cylinder Wisconsin generator on woodsmoke. I've got several of the Wisconsins so I'll just go that way. Chris, I hope you feel better by now. Be real careful there are several nasty bugs that can gang up on you so you end up with head, body and stomache problems at the same time. Good Luck, Rick

I was debating if I wanted to get it for a GT diesel conversion. But the oil filter location might interfere with the PTO and drive belt on the Jacobsens? 

The wood gas idea is something I have been wanting to do for a while now, I even printed out a book that Fema put out in the 80's with detailed plans on how to make one.

And as far as the sick thing, 1st it was stomach, then a tooth broke and got infected. Now It is a head thing and for 3 days I feel dizzy and light headed. Feeling a bit better now :D At least I was still able to read everyones posts I just couldn't respond back lol.

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 10,981 Thanks
  • 8,210 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Chris, I hope that you heal fast. In the early 80s I visited the Mother Earth News Eco Village in Hendersonville, NC. They had a Belsaw Sawmill powered by a 6 cylinder Chevy that was fed with wood smoke. It worked fine. My father said that he saw vehicles running on wood smoke when he was in England during WWII. I have alot of wood so I thought that I would try it.

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Chris, I hope that you heal fast. In the early 80s I visited the Mother Earth News Eco Village in Hendersonville, NC. They had a Belsaw Sawmill powered by a 6 cylinder Chevy that was fed with wood smoke. It worked fine. My father said that he saw vehicles running on wood smoke when he was in England during WWII. I have alot of wood so I thought that I would try it.

Thanks! It's all good. But on the wood gas I did a lot of research on the subject about 2/1/2 years ago. It was very common during WWII mostly in Europe.Maybe we'll have to start a thread on this topic soon :D

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Heres the US site explaining the history. It looks like Kohler actually owns the company now. http://www.powertech...Lombardini.html

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,498 Thanks
  • 15,397 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Chris, From what I could find out is it is a 5HP engine. It would have the the torque of maybe a 7 or 8 HP gas engine. I wouldn't mind having one for a small GT to play with.

Gotta love black smoke in the morning!!

#14 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 06:33 PM

If you guys are planning a producer gas powered Gt, keep us informed, that would be a very interesting project, well worth following :)