26 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 12:21 PM

What is up with some women?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a chain of, um, debates
today with my wife. Apparently there are certain things one should not do in the kitchen. I have a parts washer and a deep sink. But much like my other shop equipment they are not hooked up and running for various reasons too lengthy to get into at this time. So I am left with nothing more than a hose and spray bottle of solvents. I decided today that will just no longer do. So I started off by placing the air box from my truck in the dish washer. I had no idea this was the sort of thing inconsiderate people do until it was pointed out to me.

My response was logical but perhaps not that well worded. “Well if dish washers were not meant to wash parts why did my air box and tubing come out so clean?” I also got the impression that things would not have went the way they did had I not mixed in the air box and tubing with our dishes. Okay, lesson one learned for the day.

On to lesson two. As I mentioned my deep sink is not operational. However, I do have a nice large double sink in the kitchen. Soaking the brake parts off of my motorcycle in a can of solvent got them cleaner than I expected. But I still had to take a tooth brush to them and wash the solvent off. I figured using the sink in the kitchen was a great idea. Once again, it was pointed out to me that I was wrong. It would seem that cleaning brake parts with a tooth brush over the sink while washing solvents off into the sink at the same time I was cooking spaghetti was not a wise combination of tasks. I felt I was doing a great job of multitasking. Not only was I getting dinner ready, but I was also getting my motorcycle that much closer to getting back on the road. I find it strange how two people can see a situation so differently.

And finally, I learned the oven is not intended for non-food items. After dinner I was asked why the oven was on. My response “I just painted the master cylinder on my bike so it is baking in the oven” was not well received at all. I guess that fact that I had painted a part made of aluminum and baking it would help the paint stick was irrelevant to her. No, the fact that I had a freshly painted part in the oven is all she cared to acknowledge.

I tell you, I just have no idea what some women are thinking. Her comments today almost had me second guessing my idea of soaking my transfer case in her tub tomorrow. Almost any way…

• wawcub47, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 12:31 PM

As long as I clean up after my self the wife is OK with me washing off plastic parts like air boxes, covers etc.  She does draw the line with strong smelling solvents but I can understand that since she is on O2.  She will even come down hold parts, start bolts I can't get my big paw in a tight space to start, look for something I dropped and can't find etc.  She's pretty cool.  I haven't tried parts in the dish washer or use the oven to bake on paint so I'm not to sure how she might react.  

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#3 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 12:34 PM

You sir are a lucky man.  If I did that I would be wearing a frying pan for a hat.  But I have been married for over 35 years and I'm well "housebroken" so I know better.   Good luck with that transfer case.

Jack..

• Texas Deere and Horse, CRFarnsworth and backwoods have said thanks

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 12:45 PM

How does that saying go, 'Can't live with them and you can't live without them.

Dick

• CRFarnsworth and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 12:47 PM

i bring car parts in the house and clean them in the sink when she's not around and get the mess cleaned up before she gets home for fear of being scolded like a bad dog lol. however i have the battery for my truck sitting on top of the dryer and that is ok...... i just dont understand

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 01:03 PM

I want to know how much the emergency room bill is after you get with the transfer case. Thanks!!

• IamSherwood, CRFarnsworth and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 01:25 PM

I hear you... My last EXPERIMENT cost me $400.

I use Acrylic paint in airbrushes to paint on T Shirts. When I used to do shows I would have about a dozen different colors in small glass bottles.

The thought occurred to me one day that these tiny 4 oz bottles are hard to clean but they would come out sparkly clean if I put them in the dishwasher. Obviously I didn't think ahead on this project.

The paint is formulated so that if I spray it on a shirt and then put in a heat press it bonds to the shirt and ends up like plastic.

The water in a dishwasher is evidently hot enough to activate the paint and make it impossible to get off the inside of the dishwasher Think tye dyed dishwasher.....

The wife likes the new dishwasher better than the old one !!

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Old days at home with old-fashioned farm Mom were better I guess. I baked cycle parts to adhere paint to engine parts once in oven. Pretty hot too. Stunk up whole house!  She didn't mind too much. My older brothers used to rebuild carbs and sandshave cycle heads on the kitchen table. I've done many carbs and small items on same table. Painted by brush many things in the kitchen and all over the table with proper papers down of course! 

Move forward to my home and wife.........Might clean a few non-greasy things in the sink, but not much else. Have cut gaskets and clean part assemblys on the dining room table.  She absolutely frowns on any paint or cleaner smells in the house and throws fit with those items.  Course after a day in shop with parts washer, gas and oil or paint smells all over me and clothes, and even after a shower, AND coming home from work at GM plant I hear about how I STINK for the day and she Rolls over in bed angrily!  She gets over it!   I'm the King in My castle and she knows it!  That's When She LET'S me be anyway! :smilewink:

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 01:55 PM

You sir are a lucky man.  If I did that I would be wearing a frying pan for a hat.  But I have been married for over 35 years and I'm well "housebroken" so I know better.   Good luck with that transfer case.

Jack..

Yep, I agree 100%. I tried ALL of the things you mentioned plus a couple more along the way, but I finally got a shop with heat and the marriage improved immensely. One of my worst was having a jeep plow pump thawing in the living room by the door when her mom was coming over ( you know the blue hydraulic fluid that Myers guarantees never freezes, ya they ended up giving away cases of it that year because of a bad batch from the factory) Well anyway I stuffed the pump in the hall closet and everything looked fine, until the M-I-L went to leave and had grease on her brand new coat that I had hung up in the hall closet..oooppps...Every once and a while I hear that I'm still a bit rough around the edges but at 37 years she has me reasonably trained for company to come over. Keep smiling, as somebody pointed out above, ya can't always live with'em but it's better than going with out !

#10 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hey guys,  Thank you, thank you, thank you. I shouldn't laugh about your "mishaps" , but after i had the wife read this thread she actually apologized for ever complaining about me and my "mishaps"       :angel:

• backwoods said thank you

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Being a farmer's wife, Teresa has learned to bend & flex to put up with various things I'll bring in the house to work on, clean, etc.  She does however draw a line when it comes to smelly solvents.  She lets me bring small painted parts in to cure, but I don't use the oven.....just air dry. I've never used the dishwasher, but unless I put in something nasty greasy, I don't think she would care.  After all, I'm the one who has to repair the thing anyway, and if I did ruin it....she's been wanting a new one anyway!  :D 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Washing parts in the DISHWASHER! You, sir, are a very brave man!

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well it could be worse. Imagine thawing out a frozed Tuna in the dishwasher, during the steam cycle. Not a pretty picture or smell when you open the door. Can't say that I remember much after that either. Seem to recall seeing a lot of birds flying around in the kitchen, and hearing a very loud bell ringing. Not sure what that was all about. All I know is, that happened on a Tuesday evening, and when I woke up, it was Thursday morning and I had a major headache!

Last time I ever take advice from Tim "The Toolman" Taylor!

• IamSherwood, KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:00 PM

has anyone else heard the Man song???? or am i the only one..... ill look for a link

and here it is

It's not Rodney Carrington its from the Bob and Tom radio show

Edited by backwoods, January 27, 2013 - 04:02 PM.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and jpackard56 have said thanks

#15 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 05:41 PM

hey guys, been married 45 yrs yesterday to the same lady. she doesnt hang up stuff in the shop, idont do parts in the house. simple.

• jpackard56 said thank you