Garden Tractor Forums banner

Out In The Light

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  crittersf1 
#1 ·
Pulled my "one legged "Plow Hoss" out today to see if it would start. Wouldn't you know it, first pull on the rope and the spring breaks.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear that. The cold makes engines harder to turn over and may have caused the spring to snap as well. .

#7 ·
I have been playing around with my Gravely all summer, i go out regularly and give it a run and it starts within two pulls everytime, a foot of snow arrived the other day and can i get it to start?... its in my bad books now, i really want electric start as im sure it will run fine if i can keep it turning, those rope starts sure test your patience not to mention your fitness..

#8 ·
With the ethanol in gas, I would suspect ice in the fuel system. Try a little gas in the carb. If it starts then dies you need to add dry gas to the tank and warm the engine. In the future, add Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas and run the engine out of gas when you put it away for sometime. Then add fresh gas when you want to start it. Good Luck, Rick

#9 ·
I have been playing around with my Gravely all summer, i go out regularly and give it a run and it starts within two pulls everytime, a foot of snow arrived the other day and can i get it to start?... its in my bad books now, i really want electric start as im sure it will run fine if i can keep it turning, those rope starts sure test your patience not to mention your fitness..
Sam, I really feel for you there. I have two pull start Gravelys, and sometimes they are a bear to start. That is usually an indicator that something isn't right somewhere, though. Sometimes a good multigrade oil can help, because a standard oil can really thicken up in the cold, and with a Gravely you are trying to pump oil through the system right away. I've also tried two different starting methods. One way, you roll the crank backwards till you come up against compression, then pull and have plenty of speed and momentum to pull through the first compression stroke. But sometimes I find it works better to roll FORWARD to the compression stroke, then pull slowly through that. That way, I know the magneto impulse will catch and fire off on the first stroke, and that is usually enough to get the old girl running.

#10 ·
With the ethanol in gas, I would suspect ice in the fuel system. Try a little gas in the carb. If it starts then dies you need to add dry gas to the tank and warm the engine. In the future, add Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas and run the engine out of gas when you put it away for sometime. Then add fresh gas when you want to start it. Good Luck, Rick
It had been sitting for a while with half a tank so yep your probably correct with ice, or even condensation i suppose, i will try it with fresh petrol. marvel mystery oil is not something i am familiar with and have never seen it in the shops, im assuming its some sort of fuel stabilizer ? in which case im sure i can get an alternative, thanks for the advice.

Sam, I really feel for you there. I have two pull start Gravelys, and sometimes they are a bear to start. That is usually an indicator that something isn't right somewhere, though. Sometimes a good multigrade oil can help, because a standard oil can really thicken up in the cold, and with a Gravely you are trying to pump oil through the system right away. I've also tried two different starting methods. One way, you roll the crank backwards till you come up against compression, then pull and have plenty of speed and momentum to pull through the first compression stroke. But sometimes I find it works better to roll FORWARD to the compression stroke, then pull slowly through that. That way, I know the magneto impulse will catch and fire off on the first stroke, and that is usually enough to get the old girl running.
Hi, i called it a Gravely but its really a Belos so the engine (M.A.G) has its own sump, it fires up after a few attempts and 10 secs later it dies regardless of where you set the choke or throttle, it gets tiresome after a while as the compression on it is enough to drag the machine towards you and rips the starting cord out of your hand, its actually quite sore when it does it... it bites back, suppose i will just need to man-up and show it whos boss ;)

My other Gravely has got the Gravely engine so thats some good tips to remember when the time comes to try start it, i havent attempted it yet as i promised myself to only work on one or two projects at a time so its in the queue, it does however have a nice spark so thats a plus.

#12 ·
It had been sitting for a while with half a tank so yep your probably correct with ice, or even condensation i suppose, i will try it with fresh petrol. marvel mystery oil is not something i am familiar with and have never seen it in the shops, im assuming its some sort of fuel stabilizer ? in which case im sure i can get an alternative, thanks for the advice.

Hi, i called it a Gravely but its really a Belos so the engine (M.A.G) has its own sump, it fires up after a few attempts and 10 secs later it dies regardless of where you set the choke or throttle, it gets tiresome after a while as the compression on it is enough to drag the machine towards you and rips the starting cord out of your hand, its actually quite sore when it does it... it bites back, suppose i will just need to man-up and show it whos boss ;)

My other Gravely has got the Gravely engine so thats some good tips to remember when the time comes to try start it, i havent attempted it yet as i promised myself to only work on one or two projects at a time so its in the queue, it does however have a nice spark so thats a plus.
Sam, I suggest you at least check the ignition timing. With the displacement of these old Gravely, and I assume the M.A.G is large also, it doesn't take much for a spark to send the engine rolling backward. And yes, I've got enough mass and muscle that I've yanked the tractor sideways when things didn't go right.......and I've had the strap wrenched out of my fingers also. There is another forum with a very active Gravely presence and one member there actually had his finger tendons rip slivers of bone out of his finger bone when the engine "bit back".

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
The thing to remember when you are starting an impulse mag fired engine is to roll it over slow. The impulse retards the timing and prevents the pull back. I like the get it ready to roll over compression and then pulling it to start suggestion. Keep the momentum but don't get it rolling too fast. Sam, your problem is either lack of fuel getting to the carb or its running too lean. Try opening the main mixture screw a quarter turn, This might help if its not a fuel delivery issue.

#14 ·
Marvel Mystery Oil is an upper cylinder lubricant. It cleans and lubticates the combustion chamber, rings and valves. I like that it leaves a light oil coating in the fuel system after the gas is run out. Turn your engine to the compression stroke when you are done with it. This will prevent moist air from getting into the cylinder and causing the exhaust valve from rusting and sticking.

#15 ·
Thanks guys for the good tips and advice, i will get back to it on the weekend and have a fiddle with it, will look out for some mystery oil or equivalent too, but i know she will start..the snow has gone, but yes i would agree something isnt quite right and needs attention, will see what at weekend.

Ahh yes, i would just like to apologise to crittersf1 for hijacking his thread, i will hijack another thread to update the engine problems ;)

#17 ·
These things are kind of weird.
I saw one of these one wheeled things a while back, had the engine in the wheel, a Pegson i think it was and have seen many others like the Gravely D etc, is it not that they are a bit unstable, like wanting to topple over all the time? i would imagine with a narrow hoe on and the ground was a bit rough they would be or are they ok to work with ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.