DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:04 PM

How are you mounting the motor for the deck, belt drive?

Where are the batteries going?

Ya I know too many questions.

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:22 PM

In a earlier post you had photos of your motor. What RPM is the motor 1200RPM?? You have a big pulley to drive the Hydro, a lot bigger then the ICE had on it.

#19 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:10 PM

How are you mounting the motor for the deck, belt drive?

Where are the batteries going?

Ya I know too many questions.

Yes belt drive. I've changed my mind a few times on the motor and size. I have 12 and 24 volt both. They are hydraulic pump motors out of motorized pallet movers. One is single direction the other is reversible.  The single direction is 12volt and would require a 90 degree turn and orienting the motor  to  rotate the blade correctly. The 24 volt is reversible and would be easier to mount.   So one battery or two?  The main purpose of this outfit is for parades and shows but i do want it to function.  Stillneed to make brackets for batteries and a cover for it.

#20 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:15 PM

In a earlier post you had photos of your motor. What RPM is the motor 1200RPM?? You have a big pulley to drive the Hydro, a lot bigger then the ICE had on it.

The motor is 1500 rpm. The pulley is 10" diameter. I dont remember the exact figures but the ratio is such that it turns the input tranny pulley at about 2400 rpm.  The ICE at 3600 rpm would have been turning the tranny at about 2800 rpm.. I've been satisfied with the results i get for the intended use of the tractor.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#21 Mr Electrak OFFLINE  

Mr Electrak

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1249
  • 121 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Very nice project ! Love the ingenuity....that''s gonna fake out a lot of folks !

#22 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Very nice project ! Love the ingenuity....that''s gonna fake out a lot of folks !

Thanks.    Most people enjoy the tractor once they realize what it really is.  Some walk away mad because they were fooled by it .

But it makes me happy.    Put her back together tonight ,cleaned her a little and put her back in her spot for the winter.    Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.JPG

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:38 PM

The motor is 1500 rpm. The pulley is 10" diameter. I dont remember the exact figures but the ratio is such that it turns the input tranny pulley at about 2400 rpm.  The ICE at 3600 rpm would have been turning the tranny at about 2800 rpm.. I've been satisfied with the results i get for the intended use of the tractor.

Thanks, and I'm sorry that I forgot about this thread. I will be tearing lift apart soon I hope. I don't know the drive motor voltage yet, but the battery pack is 36 V.. I am going to look over the hydraulic pump and motor also. Thanks for sharing!! :)

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:18 PM

you said seperate batteries for the tow behind mower and the tractor... will they be tied together in any way when hitched up?
why couldnt you run the stock WH deck underneath? 

If there will be any electrical connection between deck and tractor  I wonder if a battery isolator would be an idea to consider? Im thinking like on RVs and plow trucks... you need to have the on off switch within reach  from the operators position for the deck. 

have you run this setup much> any idea on available time before it is too weak to pull itself?  do you have a variable resistor on it like a golf cart to vary speed or is this a single-speed-capable machine?

One of the very 1st small engines I rebuilt as a teen like 30 years ago, was an HH 120 tecumseh on a WH    can't remember if it was a "Charger 12" or a "Raider 12"

What will/has become of the remnants of the old Kohler?  I have a 12HP here apart under the bench that I need a few odds and ends for to complete. things like gov linkage and such, a metal governor gear might be nice as well as a spare carb and head as I remember these Kohler engines seemed more prone to stripped plug threads than other small engines... no hurry as my 12HP is just a spare I want to have complete and ready just in case I "pop" the engine on my Woods ZTR, the one under my bench is identical to it, down to Spec number... I am a lil over an hour away from Rossvile and do get to the next town north of you at least once a year.... (Labor day weekend, hint)

Edited by dodge trucker, January 31, 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#25 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:57 PM

This is pretty cool, makes me want to get going on my conversion,  just been busy with some home renovations,  gotta keep the wife happy. 

#26 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 05:52 PM

,  gotta keep the wife happy. 

Jethro,   Priorities are important in life. :thumbs:   Rick 

#27 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 06:09 PM

you said seperate batteries for the tow behind mower and the tractor... will they be tied together in any way when hitched up?
why couldnt you run the stock WH deck underneath? 

If there will be any electrical connection between deck and tractor  I wonder if a battery isolator would be an idea to consider? Im thinking like on RVs and plow trucks... you need to have the on off switch within reach  from the operators position for the deck. 

have you run this setup much> any idea on available time before it is too weak to pull itself?  do you have a variable resistor on it like a golf cart to vary speed or is this a single-speed-capable machine?

Dodge Trucker  Iplan to use two seperate sets of batteries.  Ididn't want to use the original deck underneath.  I already have half a dozen of those . I was going for something different.  I intend to use a switch located by the operator that will engage a continuos use solenoid on the deck to kick in the batteries.   I've never run this outfit long enough to use up the battery charge.  I got a good hours use last summer at the Penfeild show. and the charger said i still had 60%.  The motor runs at 1500 rpm and spins the hydrastat at a constant rpm with tractor speed governed by the direction/speed lever.  I've got a 10 and a 12 hp kolher under the bench waiting for me to put them in something.   Hope i answered your quetions.    Rick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 06:46 PM

yup you did sorry there were so many...

so what will become of the remains of the blown kohler?  Hey, I was in Watseka today (hint)

I, too, have been to the penfield show the last few years... looking forward to this years... I did miss pontiac over labor day thus year due to work.  that wont be a problem this year as I am about to start a new job in a couple weeks... no more swing shift

#29 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:03 PM

no more swing shift

Hope the new job works out well for you.    Never worked a swing shift, but certain i wouldn't like it. HATED working third shift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The blown kohler is waiting  to be rebuilt.         Rick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have done swing shift and also straight 3rds  I hated straight 3rds but at least it was steady. I disliked that a little less than swing shift.) but not much)  I am going back to turning wrenches, which I had done for over 18 years, before leaving for what I thought might be "greener pastures" that were not.

I actually got a municipal (State) Motor Pool job, and the best part? the hours M-F 7:30-4. No weekends no nights NO SWING SHIFT.

But I am on hold, gotta wait til Feb 19 to start I was originally supposed to start TODAY, except for an administrative inter office snafu. Drug tests done Background checks done.  just anxious to get workin again.