• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 11:15 AM

The challenge is this gentlemen, the attached photos show implements around the hobby farm that are 200+ yards from nearest electricity, no way to get DC welder to them, no access to torch (other then small hand held Coleman), no sawsall, no way to get a tractor or truck to them without tons of work..  Now the desire. I'd like to convert these to some use for the Snapper while spending little or no money.  The disc I think might still be doable if I could get the gangs separated.  The rotary hoe has a large tree "eating" it and suffers from the same separation problem.  The harrow picture I use (just in this group of pictures.  From my experience these bolts might as well have been welded.  Any ideas on how to separate and repurpose?

Attached Thumbnails

• Implement pictures 005.JPG
  • Implement pictures 004.JPG
  • Implement pictures 003.JPG
  • Implement pictures 002.JPG
  • Implement pictures 001.JPG

• Craig. said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 11:20 AM

I would say you will have to cut the trees out of them and get them pulled up to where you can work on them. The other thing is you might be able to take them apart, sometimes you get lucky with those older bolts and they come apart with lots of penetrating oil. Good Luck !

• gtcsreg said thank you

#3 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 11:31 AM

With the disc I can cut the trees out but can't get out unless I narrow the wideth to less than the 8 foot wideth unless I have a dozer.  Rotary hoe have to break down where it sits.  Can't seem to get myself to try the penetrating oil yet maybe this spring.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 11:46 AM

A propane torch and some penetrating oil will do wonders sometimes. It's worth a try. Just heating it up will sometimes break the bond between parts. I was able to get rusted manifold nuts off my 317 just by heating and cooling a couple of times and using the penetrating oil. Wear gloves and be careful. You don't want to cut yourself on rusty metal that's been outside for that long. Could be tetanus on it. 

• gtcsreg said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Get a friend to help pull them out, hopefully he has some tools too. :D

• gtcsreg said thank you

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:14 PM

I have some experience with this...my grandfather saved every piece of equipment he ever owned in case he needed the parts.  Of course he stored it in the bush so it wouldn't make the yard unsightly.  Of course we had to pull it out when we needed something.

Heat and penetrating oil, like Brian said.  Also, a 4 foot pipe for leverage.  

Cut away as much of the smaller stuff as you can...those little twigs don't look like they can hold much, but they are strong.  Some garden shears are good for that task.  A buck saw is good for the larger stuff.  

My other suggestion is a chain and a come-along.  Once you get things moving, everything gets easier.  If you can get it to where you can drag it to the shop, you're golden.

I'd wait for spring, but not too late.  Watch for wasps 

• gtcsreg said thank you

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Don't get the problem??  Looks like little brush that would wack out or cut off easy. Take your garden tractor and a chain and hook on and pull them out to clearing!  Come along on nearest tree?  They had to be able to GO IN that space to drop off, why can't it be reached  the same way?  Gotta have TOOLS to do work, or at least RENT some for now. I wouldn't work out there at all, but drag them up to a shop and THEN work on them OR..........Leave them........look elsewhere!

• gtcsreg said thank you

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Walk back in there and shoot the bolts/nuts with PB Blaster once or twice a week for a while and I bet every bolt will come right out.  My experiences are those old bolts that look rust-welded tend to surprise you as to how easy they come out.  I believe the thread tolerences were different back then.   With a long cheater pipe they will either back out or twist off quickly. 

The disk and drag harrow would definately have some usefulness cut down for use with a garden tractor but the rotary hoe would really serve no purpose that i can think of.  Rotary hoes must have a ground speed of at least 7MPH to work-10MPH would be better.   7MPH plus in a garden could be hazardous to the crop.  Just my thinking - Good luck!

• gtcsreg said thank you

#9 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'll try the heat and penetrating oil this spring.  Tried pulling out disc with the Allis Chalmers B I used to own (after I freed it up) and it would'nt budge.  Not worth risking the Snapper on.  They were put there over thirty five years ago.  Land has sold and fence has been put up since then.  Not willing to cut fence and tear up neighbors land to get.  Yes I'm resoved if I can't split them where they sit, I leave them. 

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:28 PM

I would attack it from a different direction and take it out in pieces. Most of those old bolts are pretty rotten after sitting all those years.
Take two breaker bars and if needed a good 3 ft cheater bar. Consider the bolts expendable and tighten them till they break/twist off.
A few dollars worth of bulk bolts from the hardware or farm supply store will put them back together.
Last year during the January thaw I drug 3 sections of harrow out of my fence row, broke them down in singles , and they are a great tool . You have found some great tools, well worth the effort to retrieve and reporpose. Wish I had the dis and rotary hoe mysellf..
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:40 PM

On that disc,if it is the type that has box bearings on the axle it is just a matter of unbolting the bearings and lifting off the frame.
Then take the discs and spindle out separate. A really solid pry bar about 5 to 6 ft long will be a big asset.
Back in the day most farms had an old disc axle with one end flattened around here.
Those bearings were usually split castings with greased white oak bearings and they held up well if kept greased..
My dad had a Disc Sharpener (like BIG GAS POWERED LATHE) he sharpened lathes for farmers in the area.
It was my job to pull the sections out of the frame while he sharpened others.
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#12 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've got some axle prybars and long heavy pipes for this purpose and a good come along.  My Grandpa owned and operated and ag, auto, and small engine garage for over 50 years.  I got some of his stuff and that'll help.  Thanks everybody for the input!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:54 PM

I would find a way to get a tractor, 4 wheeler, UTV, something out there to drag them to a more acessible area for loading, then go from there.  I haven't found anywhere that I couldn't get with either a tractor or wheeler.......

• gtcsreg said thank you

#14 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Me, I'd want to get them out of there in the winter, before mud season! I'd make up a wooden sled, load one implement at a time and pull them home, over the snow and ice. A friend with a snow mobile, a farm tractor with chains, maybe a horse? Could possibly do it. That way you don't tear up your neighbor's lawn. And you get to have some fun when there's nothing better to do! Joe
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 12:13 AM

Doesn't look too bad. I once removed an old ford truck from where it had been sitting for about 40 years that had a tree growing through the front tire. A couple of good tugs and it was free. Have had to cut down a lot of trees to get the object they grew through.

• IamSherwood and gtcsreg have said thanks