15 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:12 AM

I think it's just cheap parts, but this is driving me nuts.  Could something else be causing this?

Almost three years ago in the spring the pressure line on my power steering went.  The upper fitting, closest to the pump, was leaking where it met the hose.  I replaced it with one from Parts Source.

Last year in the late summer the new hose started leaking.  This time it was the fitting closest to the rack.  I replaced it with a really expensive GM part because I was in a little town and needed the part right away.  The dealership two towns over was the only place close by that had the part.

Now it's leaking again.  This time the hose has split about halfway up.  I've ordered one from NAPA and arranged for my BIL's garage so I have a warm place to install it.  It's going to be ugly because the cold has my arthritis acting up, but it has to be done.  I'm going through a quart of fluid every day.

I've never had this much trouble with power steering hoses before.  I only recall changing two in my entire life before this, and those were both on old vehicles where the rot had set in.  This one isn't even ten years old yet, and the hose life seems to be just a little over a year.

So is something causing this?  Is it an indication of some other problem?  Am I just having bad luck?  Each hose has failed in a different place.

The truck is a 2004 Chevy 2WD with a 4.8 litre V-8.  It has rack and pinion steering, but the rack seems okay (I haven't been able to look at it in a warm, well-lit location, but I did crawl under it in the snow yesterday).

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Maybe something wrong in the pump to where it is running over pressure.  I would expect there to be a relief valve in a pump of any sort, maybe this is malfunctioning????

• Reverend Blair and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I've been looking for something like that.  Haven't found anything on-line about it though.  The relief valve always seems to fail the other way (no pressure, not excessive pressure).

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:58 AM

I was thinking too that it was to do with a over pressurized system .How but a restriction some where . I wonder if you feel the line after running it for a few minutes if it started getting warm and if it is was try seeing where  it gets colder ,  I'm thinking hooking a gauge to the line would be hard because of the speical fittings they use on most p/s lines . Sorry I can't help more , Al

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Running at higher than normal pressure is my guess as well. Have you been getting any belt squeal? Sometimes you can get water in the system, and it will freeze in the extreme cold which can cause all kinds of grief. I'd check the mechanical system to make sure it's not worn and causing the pump to work extra hard. I'd drain the system and put in new fluid as well. Good luck getting it sorted out. 

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:55 AM

That's an excellent idea, Al.  I'll check that.

I've been getting a little belt squeal on start-up for the last week or so, Brian.  That's pretty normal with the brutal cold we've been having though...fluids get pretty thick in this weather.  I'm not sure if the entire system can be drained/flushed effectively with the rack and pinion. I'll have to have a close look when I get in a warm garage.  When I go to get the part, I'm going to see if there's a good synthetic that doesn't thicken available.   

#7 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 09:32 AM

The power steering could be masking some other problem possibly . A stiff joint , excessive play somewhere causing slight wobble etc . Other things also . My wife the mail lady is always getting a tire cord slightly stretched out . Just a few other possibilities ..
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 09:33 AM

The manufactures are wanting to make sure you know how to change it out.

I too would suspect a relief valve or the pump  is pumping to much pressure.

Dick

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Maybe something wrong in the pump to where it is running over pressure.  I would expect there to be a relief valve in a pump of any sort, maybe this is malfunctioning????

I think it might be a combination. The pump should have a relief valve but regardless the steering box is an "open center" design which means that when you not steering the fluid just bypasses (instead of building pressure) and goes back into the reservoir. So if you have a restriction in the line/steering box it should activate the relief valve (making a BUNCH of racket)... unless it's just enough restriction to stress the system/lines.

how does it act when you steer? can you hear the load that the pump puts on the engine? or does it sound like the pump is always putting a load on the engine?

Edited by twostep, January 26, 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:13 AM

My first thought was also a pressure problem but as I read the post's and ideas already given I got to thinking that it may be a design problem.  The hose may need to be stabilized with a bracket or something to prevent vibrations or it may be some excessive heat causing it to fail prematurely.  

Have you gone on line and seen what other people have to say about that vehicle?  If others have had the problem there may be a fix for it.

#11 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:25 AM

You don't have that power steering upgrade option offered back then? My 02 avalanche has it, its a super soft power steering compaired to my father in-laws 02 z71, i asked him about it, he believe they're was an upgrade option.

Just brain strormin there,

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:46 PM

I think it might be a combination. The pump should have a relief valve but regardless the steering box is an "open center" design which means that when you not steering the fluid just bypasses (instead of building pressure) and goes back into the reservoir. So if you have a restriction in the line/steering box it should activate the relief valve (making a BUNCH of racket)... unless it's just enough restriction to stress the system/lines.

how does it act when you steer? can you hear the load that the pump puts on the engine? or does it sound like the pump is always putting a load on the engine?

No, when it's full of fluid it works properly and makes no unusual noises.  When the fluid is low it makes noise, of course.

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:52 PM

My first thought was also a pressure problem but as I read the post's and ideas already given I got to thinking that it may be a design problem.  The hose may need to be stabilized with a bracket or something to prevent vibrations or it may be some excessive heat causing it to fail prematurely.  

Have you gone on line and seen what other people have to say about that vehicle?  If others have had the problem there may be a fix for it.

I have been on online, and I've talked to a bunch of other Chev owners and one mechanic (my BIL) nobody has seen this before.  

My BIL did say that they seem to go a lot, so maybe it is a design thing.  It's in a pretty tight space, and fairly close to the rad, so maybe it gets weak during the warm months.  

#14 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:55 PM

You don't have that power steering upgrade option offered back then? My 02 avalanche has it, its a super soft power steering compaired to my father in-laws 02 z71, i asked him about it, he believe they're was an upgrade option.

Just brain strormin there,

I'm not sure.  Bought it used and never asked about such an option because I never knew it existed.  The steering feels about like the only other 2wd of this vintage that I've driven.  Definitely softer and more car like than the 4wd version, but not vague like a 1972 Fury.

#15 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:00 PM

I would flush the system thoroughly. Then replace the hose. I would bet the relief valve is faulty. Just my two cents.

Geno