Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd Red Patio - $1250 (fort Wayne)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:43 AM

http://fortwayne.cra...3569789572.html

3E83L73F15Ia5Gf5Jdd1o5379075abbcd1d97.jp

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Saw this last night. Would love to have one!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Love those patio tractors and that' a really nice example. 

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:54 AM

yep, restored very well. i like this patio!

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:57 PM

I live neat FT.Wayne, just send ME the money ad I'll go get it and save it for you!!! Wife's car can sit outside for awhile,ha!

#6 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Other than the paint, what was the difference between the green ones, the red ones and the yellow ones?

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:11 PM

John Deere started the Patio Series in 1969, trying to appeal to the female's. The tractor would be painted Dogwood White, and then you choose which color hood and seat you wanted. The choices were Red, Orange, Yellow and Blue. There wasn't a lot of Patio's sold, even though they were in production up until mid 1971. After John Deere decided that the idea wasn't a success, they decided to keep all of the garden tractor line green. The remaining Patio tractors that weren't sold, were returned to John Deere, and repainted green. There are a lot of collectors out there that enjoy these tractors, and since there wasn't many produced, these Patio's are highly sought after tractors. Most of the time when you find them, the seats are usually trashed, and the hoods are broken. You can find hoods on ebay more easily than you can the seats. If you do find a good seat, be prepared to spend up to $800.00 for it.

110 and 112 Patio tractors are what you see the most of for sale, but the Patio option was also available for the Model 120 and 140's as well. Finding a 120 and 140 Patio is rare, so if you find one of these, be prepared to spend up to $2,200 for it, no matter what the condition. The common colors found today for sale are usually Red and Blue. Don't know why, but you don't see a lot of Orange and Yellow Patio's being sold much.

$1,250 for the 110 above isn't a real bad price for the condition that it's in. Hood and seat look to be very well done. Again, it's a common model and color to be found, so it's up to the buyer if he wants to spend that much. Looking at the picture, I'd say the seat isn't original, and is a dyed yellow seat. The original Patio seats from the factory always had a gloss to them. This seat does not. Have yet to ever see a dyed seat with a gloss. The dyed seat shouldn't hurt the value of the tractor. It's also obvious that the tractor had been repainted. Looks good, but if you are going to take the time to paint the tractor, why not paint the motor too? Just something to think about if you decide to pull the motor, and accidently scratch the white. This white paint is not cheap, and can cost up $600.00 to get mixed. Kind of a high price to pay for touch up paint.

Just my opinion, and just giving my two cents worth. Good luck if anybody decides to go after it.

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 09:55 PM

To add to Troy's info, the seats on all the patios (including the yellow ones) are special and different than standard seats. The back of them have a textured spray on them. Still black, just a pebbled texture to them.

My local JD dealer when I was growing up had turned all their extra patio seats into bar stools at the parts counter. Utterly destroyed.

#9 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:39 AM

That's good to know. I'll be keeping my eye out for them now.

#10 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:49 AM

It's also obvious that the tractor had been repainted. Looks good, but if you are going to take the time to paint the tractor, why not paint the motor too? Just something to think about if you decide to pull the motor, and accidently scratch the white. 

Didn't Deere only paint the patio engines white for the first year, and then realized that it was a bad idea?  If so, the black engine could be correct depending on the year of the tractor.

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Didn't Deere only paint the patio engines white for the first year, and then realized that it was a bad idea?  If so, the black engine could be correct depending on the year of the tractor.

Yes, you're correct. White engines only for the 1969 model years, and black for the '70 & '71 model years. If you look at the engine finish, and compare it to the grille finish, I'd say the guy didn't repaint the engine. Maybe due to not wanting to search for decals. I don't mean to knock or cut up someones restorations or finishes, so please forgive me if that's how I came across. I just wanted to point out things that I believe should be made aware of, if any of you guys are looking to buy this. It is a really nice looking tractor, and as I said above, the owner did a good job. I just get upset whenever I see a tractor looking very nice, but nothing was done to the motor. Most times, the motor is what most people look at first.

If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. Again, I was just trying to point out things that I would want to be aware of, if investing this amount of money into a tractor. Sometimes I just need to keep my mouth shut.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:55 AM

You are Spot on Troy. Very nicely written. :thumbs:

#13 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:16 AM

There's a yellow 140 on flea-bay for $3999. What are they smokin'?

#14 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 05:12 PM

On the seats, as far as I can tell from restoring some, the textured finish was pressed into the seats or molded that way. Also if my mermory is correct that the Custom Color tractors are the only ones that was painted black until the 200 and 300 series tractors where produced.

Another thing is that if you are considering buying a Custom Color is to check the serial numbers. The 70 and 71's had a different type code for white ones .  The 69's did not have a different type code  and if it has been restored I would want proof that is was white originally.  Just something to watch out for.

Mark