• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I went over there with a 6 pack of beer today to talk about the tractors.

He bought the 1250 new, the other one is a bit newer, its got an S14D motor, vs the S12D in the 1250. I'm guessing its a later 1455 going by the info I found online.

The tiller don't look like its seen much use, the tines have surface rust but aren't worn at all.

The tiller spins free when I turn the PTO. The 1455 tractor is well used, it looks like he tried to fix or jury rig the ignition or wiring, the ignition swtich is broken and the plug and wires are removed, and most everything is unhooked at the motor.
The motor feels like its got strong compression though.

The tires on the 1455 are junk, all four are flat and the rear tires are split. I'd have to rim up some tires to move it.

The front tires have tubes, neither will take air.

Their sitting in a chicken coop with a concrete floor and appear to have been well protected from the weather for the most part.

I see where he's kept a small garden, maybe 50x50' or so, I assume that's why he had the tiller. The 1250 has a deck, the deck for the 1455 is apart and the gear box and spindles are missing and no where to be found. He don't remember where they went or if they were just scrapped. The deck shell is fine. I actually have no use for a deck, I don't cut grass, I want this thing for garden and yard work.

My ideal situation will be the tiller on the back of the 1250 with the FEL up front. The rest I don't much care about.
I don't see a points housing on the S14D, so my guess is that it uses some oddball ignition set up.

I mentioned that "I've got $1500 to spend on a toy to use in the garden", but he just laughed and said he turned down $1500 for the loader itself. From the sound of it he values the loader as much as or more than the tractors. I think he realizes the tractors need work but the loader will fit just about anything.

I looked at other larger Bolens with loaders in the past, but who ever mounted this one did a pretty neat job, instead of just bolting the brackets on each side, they ran custom made supports under the frame to hold the loader. They then cut into fender pan and made the loader mounts the foot rests as well. Its super solid looking and it don't appear to affect anything else.Who ever did it also added a lot of strength to the chassis that way. (There's also a second fender pan there so if the loader is removed a stock pan is there to install. I'm not sure about a deck though but he said it still fits and works fine. The 1250 has part of a 3pt hitch but no linkage to lift the hitch arms? Something is missing to connect the lower arms to the lift ram somehow. They have the lower arms connected to a chain, holding a weight box in place. He also said there's some new parts for the 1250, something is broken in the front PTO lever, there's a rod, spring, and some small parts there for it. He's also got a bunch of Brinly attachments but he won't let those go with the Bolens tractors since the fit his current tractor.

I'm sort of thinking he's looking for more than $2K for the lot, maybe more. My thinking is that I can get a full size farm tractor for less money, I looked at a few Ferguson TO-20 machines for under $900, but that only works if I can find attachments cheap and that don't give me a small loader.

He did mention that he needs some work done around the property, including some welding and one building needs some repairs, so maybe I can work a deal there too.

I told him I'd stop by again this week after he had some time to think about it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:33 AM

the 1455 has a solid state ignition well the s14d did and the parts arnt to cheap. it most likely lost spark an he was trying to fidle with it. he should have checked the c.d.i box first then is that was good its the stater. i bought one 10 years ago for my 1254 that i use to have and they were 150 back then
  • sacsr said thank you

#18 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 02:21 AM

To me that would make that machine parts if I couldn't retrofit something else. He basically made a birds nest out of the wiring fooling with it. It'll have to be rewired and then made to run.

Weren't the S12D and S14D basically the same motor with just a cylinder jug and piston change? Maybe the answer is to find a good S12D lower end and swap over the S14D top end and wire it up for points?

How about a 12v ignition system? I had a Kohler years ago that had a Dodge ignition module and car coil on it.

It looks like a royal pain to get to the stator on that, regardless of the cost of the parts, if they're even available.

The bottom line is I need a machine with a rear rototiller to do my garden, I don't much care what brand it is.

#19 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • Member No: 27830
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:07 AM

That happened with the 1886FL, so I REALLY insulted him with an opening offer of $500.00 :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

You see its like this, when I'm looking to buy, its never worth much at all, but I'll gladly haul it away for free, or if I must pay for it,  it's only worth wholesale scrap value at best. Once its in my possesion however the value goes way up nearly immediately..... :D

Seriously though, some buyers do really pull that, I had a guy today looking at a snow blower, its 40 years old but in perfect shape, maybe never have been used to actually blow snow. It fires up on the first pull in the cold, works perfect. The guy tried telling me its outdated - no good, too old to be usable, can't by parts for it, can't even run it on today's gasoline.

I looked at him and just appologized for wasting his time,  then I wheeled the thing back in the garage and shut the door in his face.

I had it listed on CL for $150 for crying out loud, and it works, and we had snow on the ground at the time.

The idiot then came around and rang the bell again asking if I'd take $50 for it. I told him "Its not for sale, I've decided to keep it". Before he even made it back to his truck, another guy showed up, I opened the door, he pulled the rope once and it started, he handed me $150 cash, tossed it in his truck and left. 

To put icing on the cake the first guy who had sat there and watched the transaction happen from his truck, waited until after the buyer left, then he walked over and told me how much he really could have used that snow blower, and then asked why didn't I sell it to him?

I told the idiot "There are $100 good reasons right in my hand, go bug someone else".

The bottom line is money talks, if you want or need something sometimes the only way to get it is to buy it when the chance is at hand. I can't count how many times I let something go by to only regret that I didn't step up and just buy it when it was right in front of me. I somehow always ended up spending far more later either in fixing up something that I settled for or having to bite the bullet and buy another one just like the one I could have had.

I missed a deal four years ago on a nice full size tiller, but cheaped out and bought one for $75 at auction. After a total rebuild and lots of rust patching it works, but its too small. I've got far more than the $450 the guy with the first one wanted into one that's not what I really wanted in the first place. After that experience, I'd just as well hand over $500 or so up front for a larger model that's in working order. They're just not out there in usable shape here.

Being in NJ, things don't seem to last long, either they get scrapped for cash or they rust away in the salt air down here.

Finding anything old that's not a total rust bucket is rare. I feel sorry for those closer to the water.
The tiller I've got was rough when I got it, I knew it needed work but didn't count on it needing everything. It wasn't seized but it barely turned. I ended paying top dollar for a set of used tines and all the internals, plus a good day welding up rusty metal. In the end I had far more than it was worth in it. But, I've now used it for four years, but I want a bigger model. I'd also jump at the chance to buy a FEL for any of my machines. To me the ideal set up would be one with a tiller, one with a snow plow, one with a FEL, and another to work in the yard with the 3pt attachments.

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#20 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 11:15 PM

I think we all get that type of buyer around here, I go through 20 tire kickers before I get even one person that has any intention of making a deal. Most want it for free. I actually had one guy tell me that it would cost me more to junk the tractor I was selling then it would bring in scrap. It was a running diesel tractor with no attachments. I suppose he thought I'd come down from $2500 and just give it to him for free?

The best emails are the scammers on CL, "Still for sale?" and nothing else, and always from Gmail accounts. I just delete and block those most of the time. Gmail really ruined its reputation by allowing so many scammers to sign up.

I get 50 junk emails from CL for every real one.

Worse yet is the guy who looks the item over, picks it apart and agrees its a good deal then turns to you and offers a small fraction of what your asking with some excuse that it needs a lot of work.

Needs work is a given on any old machine, it'll always need work, they all do. If it was perfect and listed as such those types of buyers wouldn't even be responding hoping to get a freebie.

Not that I don't like to get a deal but when someone is selling something for $5,000, you can't seriously expect them to sell it for $150?

I listed my old truck, it had 150K on it, the AC worked, it looked decent, but was 20 years old, I put it up for $5000, figuring I'd have some room to negotiate, and figuring I'd sell it as low as $4250. Not a penny less. I had one idiot show up wanting it for $500, another for $750, then another wanted to trade me for a BMX bike and cell phone. These were in person offers. Finally after two months I got an email saying he wanted to see the truck, the buyer showed up, started it up, asked me why it was so cheap, I told him I just don't need two trucks, he took it for a ride, when we came back he handed me $5,000 cash. Done deal.
I went through 23 idiots to get one real buyer. He's still driving the truck today, 5 years later and is waiting for me to buy my next truck so he can have a crack at the one I have now.

Personally, I don't miss deals, when I want something I generally just make an offer and buy it. I know before I get there what its worth, if can buy it for that, fine, if not, Oh well, I'll find another, but sometimes there just isn't another to be had and on things like these old Bolens tractors that's becoming the case. These are rare in this area, I'm not sure if they ever were common here, I don't recall there ever being a dealer nearby.

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#21 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 11:55 PM

The best emails are the scammers on CL, "Still for sale?" and nothing else, and always from Gmail accounts. I just delete and block those most of the time. Gmail really ruined its reputation by allowing so many scammers to sign up.

You made a great post yardiron!  Im quoting this part specifically to say, when ever I list something on CL, I ALWAYS hide my email address.  It completely shuts down spammers, and quickly weeds out the tire kickers. I leave my phone number in the ad, but I spell out some numbers and space it oddly,  9/8/0 - Five too one - ate oh 8/0, but the real buyers always seem to figure out how to pick up a phone, and come over, and buy it.  I know exactly what you mean with those stupid spam bots, and this was my way of getting rid of them.  Just my .02

Side note, that was not my real number.  Just made it up.

Edited by mowinman2, February 16, 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#22 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Too many people watching the pawns and pickers. They think that everyone just wants instant gratification even if it is less money than if they wait. Many people will cheat you if they can. They justify it in their minds that "you deserved it ".

#23 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • Member No: 27830
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I had a used cheapo tractor listed for sale, it runs, cuts grass, no frills. I had it listed for $400 cash only, not a penny less. It sold for $1200 new three years ago. I got it for free, bought a battery, blades and two plugs and listed it.
I had to have 20 emails offering $100 or less, twelve wanting to trade for what amounted to junk, (old computers, old cameras, lawn furniture, and even a dog house), What part don't people get about CASH ONLY? The part that got me the most is how far away some people would travel to come see it, then not have the money to buy it. I'm in NJ, I had one couple drive here from WV, said they made a trip because they couldn't find anything close to it where they live, they showed up driving a small mini SUV. They told me they would be here at 1PM, showed up at 6PM after getting lost 10 times getting here. Then after telling me how clean it was, and that its exactly what they wanted, offered me $100. When I laughed and said I'd part it out first, they got mad that I'd let them drive all the way back without a tractor over $300. At that point I just told them sorry, can't help you. The woman got nasty and insisted that I sell her the tractor for $100, then went on with how unCristian I was by making them drive all the way here and then not wanting to sell them the tractor. I simply said I most certainly would love to sell you the tractor, for $400. They finally gave up and left.
First off, the tractor would in no way ever fit into or on the vehicle they were driving, second, there was no way I'd sell it for $100. When I walked outside, the SUV had miss-matched wheels, one trash bag side window, and the license plate was hanging in the rear windo from shoelace. Did these people really think that someone would sell something listed at $400 for $100? Worse yet, the guy even told me it was a great price on the phone before leaving. The ad stated $400 Cash Only Firm Price.

The thing sold the next morning to a guy who drove down from NY, he emailed me a name and phone number expaining exactly what he was emailing about. He showed up the next morning on time with cash, loaded it up and left. No BS.

Even worse lately is a few sellers I've dealt with. One had a tool box listed for sale for cheap, it wasn't new or mint but servicable. When I called, I even asked the price, I told the guy I'd be right over. He gave me his address and I drove right over, about 10 miles away. When I got there he decided he wanted $300 instead of $50. More than it sold for new. I asked him why he all of a sudden wanted more money and he said his neighbor told him it was worth $1000, he saw one for sale on TV.

I had another guy with a tractor for sale with a brush hog listed at $2500, the price was fair, the pics looked good, and when I talked the the guy on the phone he told me it belonged to his inlaws who have since passed. He just wanted the thing gone, they've sold the property and now it was sitting on his lawn for sale for a year.

I drive over, not more than 5 minutes after telling the guy I'd be right there, and no one answers the door. The tractor is out front, the lights are on, and no one answers the door bell. There's a garage to the side, I even knocked on the garage door but nothing. I tried calling, and the phone rings, and someone hangs right up. The same phone number I had just called.

After 20 minutes I gave up and went home. The guy calls me back, from the same number, tells me he's still waiting, when I tell him I was just there, he says he was waiting on the porch. I told him to wait on the porch, I'd be right over. I go back again, there's now a glass of tea on the porch, the doors are closed, lights on, and no one answers. I try calling and get the same hang up time after time. I go next door to ask about this guy and the neighbor says he's a pretty decent guy and that he's been trying to sell that tractor for two years but can't sell it. I go back next door and still can't get any response. I finally left, when he called I pretty much went ballistic on him. He swears he was there waiting for me. Thinking maybe for some strange reason there's two same model and year tractors for sale on the same street, I go back over, this time I can hear the phone ringing and watch him hang up in the window.
I left, and later mentioned it to a buddy who also tried and got the same treatment.

I don't get it? Finally a law officer buddy give it a try, he assumed that the guy was in trouble so they called out the troops and busted down the door. Apparently he was doing it for several dozen ads on CL, one for a tractor, another for a truck, and a bunch of other items. Just getting his kicks I guess. That's something you would expect from a kid but this guy was in his late 50's. No clue as to what happened after that but the tractor sat there for a year after that.

I really like the ones that show up with a sub compact and expect to haul a china closet home or something larger. I had one guy who bought a Honda Odyssey go cart chassis who showed up from Maine driving a VW jetta. He paid me an extra $100 to help him get it onto the roof of his car. I took two 2x12" planks and made a ramp. I left it up to him to get it to set down on the car, which he did by kicking out both side supports and dropping it down on the roof of the car. He then opens the sunroof, ties two 1" wide ratchet straps to the bottom of the cart and secures them to the seat tracks in the car. He paid me and went on down the road. All I could picture is him getting in an accident or having to stop fast and getting sucked out the sunroof dragged behind an airborne Honda go cart.

(Let alone driving all the way back to Maine in January with the sun roof open).

People in general are either getting cheaper, bolder, or just gaining stupidity these days. Somehow most of them seem to hang out on CL and eBay.

I find that blocking Gmail and not allowing emails cuts my sales in half. Many simply can't or won't pick up the phone for first contact. Many buyers often email during the wee hours of the morning, either while at work or on their smart phones.

#24 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I had a used cheapo tractor listed for sale, it runs, cuts grass, no frills. I had it listed for $400 cash only, not a penny less. It sold for $1200 new three years ago. I got it for free, bought a battery, blades and two plugs and listed it.
I had to have 20 emails offering $100 or less, twelve wanting to trade for what amounted to junk, (old computers, old cameras, lawn furniture, and even a dog house), What part don't people get about CASH ONLY? The part that got me the most is how far away some people would travel to come see it, then not have the money to buy it. I'm in NJ, I had one couple drive here from WV, said they made a trip because they couldn't find anything close to it where they live, they showed up driving a small mini SUV. They told me they would be here at 1PM, showed up at 6PM after getting lost 10 times getting here. Then after telling me how clean it was, and that its exactly what they wanted, offered me $100. When I laughed and said I'd part it out first, they got mad that I'd let them drive all the way back without a tractor over $300. At that point I just told them sorry, can't help you. The woman got nasty and insisted that I sell her the tractor for $100, then went on with how unCristian I was by making them drive all the way here and then not wanting to sell them the tractor. I simply said I most certainly would love to sell you the tractor, for $400. They finally gave up and left.
First off, the tractor would in no way ever fit into or on the vehicle they were driving, second, there was no way I'd sell it for $100. When I walked outside, the SUV had miss-matched wheels, one trash bag side window, and the license plate was hanging in the rear windo from shoelace. Did these people really think that someone would sell something listed at $400 for $100? Worse yet, the guy even told me it was a great price on the phone before leaving. The ad stated $400 Cash Only Firm Price.

The thing sold the next morning to a guy who drove down from NY, he emailed me a name and phone number expaining exactly what he was emailing about. He showed up the next morning on time with cash, loaded it up and left. No BS.

Even worse lately is a few sellers I've dealt with. One had a tool box listed for sale for cheap, it wasn't new or mint but servicable. When I called, I even asked the price, I told the guy I'd be right over. He gave me his address and I drove right over, about 10 miles away. When I got there he decided he wanted $300 instead of $50. More than it sold for new. I asked him why he all of a sudden wanted more money and he said his neighbor told him it was worth $1000, he saw one for sale on TV.

I had another guy with a tractor for sale with a brush hog listed at $2500, the price was fair, the pics looked good, and when I talked the the guy on the phone he told me it belonged to his inlaws who have since passed. He just wanted the thing gone, they've sold the property and now it was sitting on his lawn for sale for a year.

I drive over, not more than 5 minutes after telling the guy I'd be right there, and no one answers the door. The tractor is out front, the lights are on, and no one answers the door bell. There's a garage to the side, I even knocked on the garage door but nothing. I tried calling, and the phone rings, and someone hangs right up. The same phone number I had just called.

After 20 minutes I gave up and went home. The guy calls me back, from the same number, tells me he's still waiting, when I tell him I was just there, he says he was waiting on the porch. I told him to wait on the porch, I'd be right over. I go back again, there's now a glass of tea on the porch, the doors are closed, lights on, and no one answers. I try calling and get the same hang up time after time. I go next door to ask about this guy and the neighbor says he's a pretty decent guy and that he's been trying to sell that tractor for two years but can't sell it. I go back next door and still can't get any response. I finally left, when he called I pretty much went ballistic on him. He swears he was there waiting for me. Thinking maybe for some strange reason there's two same model and year tractors for sale on the same street, I go back over, this time I can hear the phone ringing and watch him hang up in the window.
I left, and later mentioned it to a buddy who also tried and got the same treatment.

I don't get it? Finally a law officer buddy give it a try, he assumed that the guy was in trouble so they called out the troops and busted down the door. Apparently he was doing it for several dozen ads on CL, one for a tractor, another for a truck, and a bunch of other items. Just getting his kicks I guess. That's something you would expect from a kid but this guy was in his late 50's. No clue as to what happened after that but the tractor sat there for a year after that.

I really like the ones that show up with a sub compact and expect to haul a china closet home or something larger. I had one guy who bought a Honda Odyssey go cart chassis who showed up from Maine driving a VW jetta. He paid me an extra $100 to help him get it onto the roof of his car. I took two 2x12" planks and made a ramp. I left it up to him to get it to set down on the car, which he did by kicking out both side supports and dropping it down on the roof of the car. He then opens the sunroof, ties two 1" wide ratchet straps to the bottom of the cart and secures them to the seat tracks in the car. He paid me and went on down the road. All I could picture is him getting in an accident or having to stop fast and getting sucked out the sunroof dragged behind an airborne Honda go cart.

(Let alone driving all the way back to Maine in January with the sun roof open).

People in general are either getting cheaper, bolder, or just gaining stupidity these days. Somehow most of them seem to hang out on CL and eBay.

I find that blocking Gmail and not allowing emails cuts my sales in half. Many simply can't or won't pick up the phone for first contact. Many buyers often email during the wee hours of the morning, either while at work or on their smart phones.

I like to say that todays common sense is very dumb. Good sense is scarce. A bumper sticker I saw in PA years ago sums it up "Stupidity should be painful"

Don't let them get you down, Rick

#25 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:51 PM

I think we all get that type of buyer around here, I go through 20 tire kickers before I get even one person that has any intention of making a deal. Most want it for free. I actually had one guy tell me that it would cost me more to junk the tractor I was selling then it would bring in scrap. It was a running diesel tractor with no attachments. I suppose he thought I'd come down from $2500 and just give it to him for free?

Worse yet is the guy who looks the item over, picks it apart and agrees its a good deal then turns to you and offers a small fraction of what your asking with some excuse that it needs a lot of work.

Needs work is a given on any old machine, it'll always need work, they all do. If it was perfect and listed as such those types of buyers wouldn't even be responding hoping to get a freebie.

Not that I don't like to get a deal but when someone is selling something for $5,000, you can't seriously expect them to sell it for $150?

I listed my old truck, it had 150K on it, the AC worked, it looked decent, but was 20 years old, I put it up for $5000, figuring I'd have some room to negotiate, and figuring I'd sell it as low as $4250. Not a penny less. I had one idiot show up wanting it for $500, another for $750, then another wanted to trade me for a BMX bike and cell phone. These were in person offers. Finally after two months I got an email saying he wanted to see the truck, the buyer showed up, started it up, asked me why it was so cheap, I told him I just don't need two trucks, he took it for a ride, when we came back he handed me $5,000 cash. Done deal.
I went through 23 idiots to get one real buyer. He's still driving the truck today, 5 years later and is waiting for me to buy my next truck so he can have a crack at the one I have now.

Personally, I don't miss deals, when I want something I generally just make an offer and buy it. I know before I get there what its worth, if can buy it for that, fine, if not, Oh well, I'll find another, but sometimes there just isn't another to be had and on things like these old Bolens tractors that's becoming the case. These are rare in this area, I'm not sure if they ever were common here, I don't recall there ever being a dealer nearby.

Were is that?

#26 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 01:13 AM

Well, they must be rare here, I've only laid eyes on a handful over my whole lifetime. When I do spot a Bolens, its either a larger diesel import model or an older tube frame. Large frame tractors are like hen's teeth here.

I've stopped at most of the older repair shops and dealers, no one around this town even remembers who sold Bolens. Growing up here we had Ariens, Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, Toro, John Deere, and the occasional Ford GT but never saw a Bolens. Bolens was a name associated with golf courses or large estates and you just never ran across one.

Most of the tube frames I'v eseen have been way up north, almost to NY, or out in PA. Nothing shows up in southern New Jersey. When it does, its usually either beaten into the ground or has been brought in from another state by someone who moved here.
The overwhelming majority of used tractors found here are low end, mostly cheap models sold by Sears or Kmart years ago. Finding anything above the quaulity is rare unless you find it rotting out behind someone's garage in some sorry state of disrepair.

#27 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Well, they must be rare here, I've only laid eyes on a handful over my whole lifetime. When I do spot a Bolens, its either a larger diesel import model or an older tube frame. Large frame tractors are like hen's teeth here.

I've stopped at most of the older repair shops and dealers, no one around this town even remembers who sold Bolens. Growing up here we had Ariens, Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, Toro, John Deere, and the occasional Ford GT but never saw a Bolens. Bolens was a name associated with golf courses or large estates and you just never ran across one.

Most of the tube frames I'v eseen have been way up north, almost to NY, or out in PA. Nothing shows up in southern New Jersey. When it does, its usually either beaten into the ground or has been brought in from another state by someone who moved here.
The overwhelming majority of used tractors found here are low end, mostly cheap models sold by Sears or Kmart years ago. Finding anything above the quaulity is rare unless you find it rotting out behind someone's garage in some sorry state of disrepair.

yea only the welthy could afdord them. my pop-pop paid $825.00 for his 850 in 67 with just the deck then he bought the sprayer... but yes they were a costly machine in there day ,every1 in my family and around our area mainly had bolens 1050's and EK's and a few 1250's

#28 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Who or where was the selling dealer?

None of the local dealers here even remember any one else even selling Bolens in this area, your not that far away.

I suppose there were only a few small dealers in NJ all together back then.

I can pretty much predict where most machines here came from with the exception of Bolens.

I don't recall ever hearing who sold them in South Jersey.

#29 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 01:38 AM

I figured I'd update here on the original machine in question.

I got the chance this afternoon to stop by and talk to the guy with the 1250. He's got almost everything out of that building, only the Bolens and a few other tractors remain. He pretty much said he's not really trying to sell any of them, apparently he's been swamped by people asking about them through the few ads he put on CL. After talking a bit we came to a possible deal, some cash, and my three Allis Chalmers tractors in trade for the two Bolens machines he has.

The deal would be my 416S, my 410S, and the B1 I bought off the old man there a while back plus $1,000 cash, in trade for the Bolens 1250 with the FEL, the Bolens 1455 with the tiller, snow blower, dozer blade, wheel weights, weight box, a spare front axle, spare transaxle case, spare dash, spare bucket or two of parts and a spare hood.

Basically I have about $600 in the machines I have to offer. The 416S runs, has a new motor and new tires, the 410S is a complete rolling chassis with no motor, the B1 runs but is missing a few bits and pieces. It would get me out of AC completely, and him out of Bolens completely. He'd end up with all AC machines, I'd end up with only Bolens machines.

Does this sound like a reasonable deal? We both decided to let it ride till the end of next week, so no one makes any snap decisions.
Basically are the two Bolens worth three Allis Chalmers machines?

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Basically are the two Bolens worth three Allis Chalmers machines?

I think it's a decent deal, but then there are no pics to go by.  I am no Bolens guy, and have had an Allis 416h.  If you have need for the attachments, especially the FEL, then having $1600 in the 2 tractors, FEL, and other attachments is a deal I would go for myself.  That said, you will have to put some money in these things, but then you know that going in.  Having a FEL to do heavy lifting can save a back, and that you can't put a price on.  It truly boils down to what you want & need no matter what anyone else tells you.