Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens - Montgomery Wards Squire 6 Restore..

21K views 131 replies 23 participants last post by  egward79 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have finally started to restore my Mont.-Wards Squire 6 built by Bolens. There isn't very much info on these tractors, but with Y'all help I think it will turn out nice. From what I can find out, these where built as a filler between the Sim. built Squire Gt's and Gilson building GT's for M/W during 1963, I think.

Here are a few pictures of it as it looked when i got it.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

I started tearing it down today and investigating the decals, see if I could make out anything. I sanded down the area where the decals should be and found this. "Squire 6"

Font Office ruler Ruler Measuring instrument Magenta
Rectangle Office ruler Measuring instrument Font Tape measure

I got the tower off and took a look at the dash under the plate that someone riveted on the dash. I'm going to have to do some welding to fill in those holes in the dash, I don't know what was mounted there, but I doubt that it had 2 gages since it's a recoil start.

Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Wood Gas

Got some of the tins off. Didn't realize that the trans was sealed with tunnel tins. Gearbox looks pretty bad and the gear oil is low and very thick. axles will have to come out and get new seals and bearings.

Automotive tire Gear Drinkware Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Gear Gas Household hardware Rim
Automotive tire Tread Material property Gas Nickel

The PTO is missing and the engagement lever has been cut along with the PTO idler. The mounting plate for the PTO shaft look good.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Wood Rim
Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive tire Paint

I am also missing the mechanical lift lever and trying to figure out what else is missing from that.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Tread Bumper
Wood Pink Bumper Automotive exterior Paint

And I don't think this is the right Idler pulley for the clutch, it's 2 bearings on the shaft with no pulley at all.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

All I can add is a pic of the one that got away during the summer. I literally couldn't get to it fast enough as it was -24hrs between posting sale to pickup.

Never got to see it live. At first look I thought it was just a Bolens round hood but P.O was quite sure sure it was labeled MW...These would be the only two I've seen. Lookin forward to learning more. GoodLuck

Attachments

#4 ·
So I think we can all agree that the original Colors were gold body and white rims....

With the pic that Newpaws posted, this makes about 4-5 known to exist and all the ones I've seen have hints of gold/white similar to the look of the 62'-63' Husky 600 that year.

Looks like you got your work cut out for you Brian, but the good news is most of the "Non cosmetic" parts can still be purchased!

Have you searched around the shifter to see if you can unearth some shift decals or an ID plate?

The Drive belt Idler was the same as used as on the G10,600,650 and other models that used that belt switch system.

Bolens Part numbers For the pulleys 1713802 and the PTO idler is going to be 1713803

#5 ·
The Hardest part is the decals, I don't know what all they had on them. I need to take a photo close up of the headlight area of the grill. It appears to have had a decal, but just don't know yet. I will have to do more sanding before I E-tank it.

#6 ·
The Hardest part is the decals, I don't know what all they had on them. I need to take a photo close up of the headlight area of the grill. It appears to have had a decal, but just don't know yet. I will have to do more sanding before I E-tank it.
Yeah, Take your time and see if you can find any more,

If they were consistent with the 600 there would have been a decal on the front of the hood, the sides, and at the PTO and shifter area.

I think I've seen one with a hood decal that almost went the entire length of the side of the hood.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Doc., It will be interesting to figure it out as I go.

So I think we can all agree that the original Colors were gold body and white rims....

With the pic that Newpaws posted, this makes about 4-5 known to exist and all the ones I've seen have hints of gold/white similar to the look of the 62'-63' Husky 600 that year.
I agree, but I did find white paint on the top of the tower where the dash bolts on, it was only where the dash tower bolts to the steering column. So I don't think it was white, just maybe a primer??

Have you searched around the shifter to see if you can unearth some shift decals or an ID plate?
I haven't sanded down the top of the tunnel cover yet, but there isn't ID tag attached like the 600 has.

The Drive belt Idler was the same as used as on the G10,600,650 and other models that used that belt switch system.

Bolens Part numbers For the pulleys 1713802 and the PTO idler is going to be 1713803
I am hoping Rick or Bob might have some of the other parts I need. I got the PTO shaft ASSY from Rick and was very happy with his prices and service.

BTW, I called Sam's Bolens yesterday to see if he had any info, he didn't but was very nice to talk to and offered to help in any way he could.

The other I discovered last night was the engine is coded for a 650, not a 600. I guess it will be ok to use, but I really would like the right engine.

#9 ·
The manual says it should be a B&S 142302-019801 for the Model 600 (180) Manual start.

The manual says this for the 650, B&S 146402-014801.........Model 650 (184) Manual start.

Mine has the numbers from a 650 best I can tell.

Automotive tire Tints and shades Rim Font Bumper

I wonder if this is a dealer replacement or just something someone stuck on it.

Attachments

#10 ·
The gearbox is nasty looking, but I only see one gear with engagement wear. Is there more I'm not seeing?
Best I can tell without washing it out yet is the 3rd gear has some wear on it. It also looks like reverse may have the edge knocked off it also, but not as bad as 3rd.

#11 ·
Thats the best First Gear i have EVER seen on a tubeframe ! No joke ! normaly they are Almost gone as people like to shift Before it totally stops rolling

#16 ·
I cant tell by the pics is the hitch on the back casted into the rear of this tractor?

#18 ·
#22 ·
Jerome, It is bolted on, does this help date the tractor.

attachicon.gif
2013-01-28_09-12-51_37.jpg
Its got to be a late 1962' or a 1963

The seat pan would be a good match for the tractor. It is the exact same style as the Bolens one would be except for the mounting hole in the middle, but that really wont matter to much.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its got to be a late 1962' or a 1963

The seat pan would be a good match for the tractor. It is the exact same style as the Bolens one would be except for the mounting hole in the middle, but that really wont matter to much.
Thanks Doc.,

Bolens was building them for M/W only in 1963, from what I've been told.

I could weld up the extra holes.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.