- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 03:06 PM

The wintery mix arrived in our area just before noon.  First a little snow, just to cover the roads, then a lull and now it is starting again.  I will say this, after the debacle of 2005 when less than 1 inch of snow snarled traffic in the triangle for between 16 to 24 hours, this storm the DOT was very proactive about putting down brine on as many roads as possible.  But any storm around here finds the ignorant and careless to be easy targets.  I ran a quick errand and crossed a bridge, no problem.  20 minutes later, I was returning and someone had managed to get sideways and stuck on the bridge.  

#17 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:31 PM

We've had our share of ice at the beginning of this winter.It was so bad that I pulled a set of spike harrows around to make it safer for us to beable to walk around outside,I agree with everyone else about power lines and trees its a shame to see the tree's break.Hopefully it won't be long lived for you.I've got some of those boot spikes around some where just don't know were there at. Its usually like that put them away for safe keeping and can't remeber where I put them.LOL Larry

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Got hit with freezing rain this morning, and it's slicker than oiled glass outside.  I65 is a total disaster near me.  Backed up many miles last i heard.  Walking to do my morning chores was a chore in itself.  My green insulated boots are needed for warmth, but must be the slickest/slidingest boots known to man!  I didn't go down, but man did I have to be careful as all get out!  Not more than 1/4 thick of ice, but that's a plenty to cause lots of problems.  I hope nobody was badly hurt in the wrecks everywhere today.

Be real careful every one. We had a bad ice storm 5 years ago. I fell on my butt and really hurt my back. I was laid up for 6 weeks and still have trouble occasionally. Keep a bucket of sand in the house and a small bucket with a lid in the car. Stay safe.

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,450 Thanks
  • 7,615 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 07:00 PM

It is pretty slick here. Been sleeting all day. My front porch is like a skating rink. Dogs managed to get out of the pen so tomorrow morning I get to sit on the icy ground and fix it where they came through the fence. Fortunately they are housebroken and can stay inside till I get it fixed.

#20 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Nothing worse to drive or walk on, hope it melts soon for you Daniel.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,215 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 07:32 PM

It started to melt just before the temps dropped right back down.  Roads are fine now, but our gravel drives are slick as grease still.  Should warm up enough tomorrow to get rid of all the ice though.

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Sounds nasty down there. Be careful guys, and stay off the roads.