John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Something like this, Will. You hook a small fan through a hose from the floor area at the bottom and blow the warmed air out the top. Needs to be in the sun. I've been wondering if you moved it to shade in the summer if it would reverse and cool.

Kenny, problem with using cans like that is lack of "mass". The gauge of can will offer very little heat to exchange it in a large volume to justify time and labor involved IMO. I see this a lot on "value" installed systems, cheap transfer plates = bad heat transfer.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#32 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I started a thread about how cold your shop gets , now that the temps. are around freezing and below the concrete floor is getting very cold , guessing 32*f . When I built the garage I was thinking of running hot water floor heat but I was talked out of it being the reason I'm not in it everyday so it would have to be left on ( $$$) or take foever to warm up . So I went with oil hot air furance . It will bring the temps up pretty quick ( yea 3.5gph nozzel ! ) but the floor is still like an ice block ! Now I wish if I would have just put the plastic pipe in the floor I might have been able to at least keep the floor sort of warm with solar and just used the furance if it was very cold like it is now . Anybody have floor heat or solar type in their garages ? Al

I would try to insulate the side of pad if you can, but at this late stage ditto on good rug or cardboard will help with your butt being a "heat sink". I do this stuff for a living, and most of my work is fixing others mistakes, how big is building? 3.5 gph is a lot of oil, also is the system ducted, and what about ceiling fans? not to mention control strategy.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:09 PM

John I ran the foam insulation about 6" under ground when I sided it . The furnace was a freebee  that a friend took out of  a carwash he was doing work on. The 3.5 was stamped on the nozzle so I assume it gph.  Missed out on the better ceiling mounted this one is a updraft ( that's what I call it lol) floor one. Return at the bottom  and flows out the top plenum  , Al  

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Kenny, problem with using cans like that is lack of "mass". The gauge of can will offer very little heat to exchange it in a large volume to justify time and labor involved IMO. I see this a lot on "value" installed systems, cheap transfer plates = bad heat transfer.

Bad heat transfer is better than NO heat transfer!