24 replies to this topic

#16 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Such a timely post! Thanks.

Have a seat to repair myself. Anyone ever try the vinyl repair kits at auto suppliers?

I just watched a video from one manufacturer on youtube. Looked easy enough.

I was thinking of trying the repair. The one I am going to try and repair has the WH logo embossed

otherwise I wouldn't try. Here's the video:

I've picked up numerous seats at junk yards, great deals. Paid $5 for some very nice

high back, steel pan seats. :thumbs:

After cleaning up the junk yard finds, black gloss spray paint worked great!

I took a peek-a-boo at a Permatex® vinyl repair kit at the auto supply yesterday, $18.00.

The kit came with the small soldering included. I am waiting for warmer spring weather and working

on the '90 520-8 Wheel Horse before I need the seat. But, I am leaning towards trying the Permatex® repair kit. I would replace the seat with a new one but, damage to the stock WH embossed seat is minimal.

Edited by Tankman, January 26, 2013 - 08:21 AM.

• Alc, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 09:42 AM

This seems to be a common problem between all tractors so if I can come up with a fairly inexpensive solution that will work with the majority that will be great.  The tough one I think will be the JD set because it is yellow.  Next time I go to town I'll check out hobby lobby and Micheals to see what they have to offer.  Thanks for everyone's input.

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Most repairs I've seen, are done with duct tape. :(

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Wills?  :D

The hard plastic cracked pieces kept cutting into my lower regions so this was quick fix....2 yrs ago!

100_0732.jpg

100_0733.jpg

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'll have to check that out, what does he use to support underneath?  I found that foam tended to push the plastic up when it got heated, but if I used Screen over it, it did fairly well.  The bad thing about doing it the way I did is trying to get the seat plastic to blend in with replacement plastic.  Oh by the way I used a black oil bottle.

Bill, He uses a mess similar to the stuff you see on the back of vinyl . He also has pieces of material that molds the patch to the texture of the stuff your repairing. He just pushes the mold piece down on the repaired area.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Looks good Bill.  I initially thought "Frankenstein" seat with the "scars" showing like that.   TAHOE, was that a purchased seat cover or a do it yourself application with  fabric of some sort (some wild sort) that is :smilewink: .

• HDWildBill said thank you

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:24 AM

..... TAHOE, was that a purchased seat cover or a do it yourself application with  fabric of some sort (some wild sort) that is :smilewink: .

51sDxXCwl8L._AA160_.jpg

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#22 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:44 AM

The repair looks solid a functional Bill! it may not be aesthetically pleasing, but I'm sure it beats the rough bits poking into the soft bits! I've also seen the duct tape repairs MANY times. The problem with that is that with wear, the edges seem to start rolling up and the the sticky side starts to get annoying.

I have heard of several products that are supposed to "soften" weathered vinyl seats, but it has been my experience that there is a point past which it becomes impossible. The way that it was explained to me is that when the vinyl is new, it contains plasticizers that keep it pliable. As the suns UV rays beat on it over the years, or even just the normal expansion and contraction from seasonal temperature changes, the plasticizers evaporate. I have to believe that there is a way to replace them, but I haven't found one yet. The closest that I have found is "Mother's Back to Black" vinyl restorer. The problem that I have experienced is getting it to penetrate more deeply into the material. I should also mention that the seats that I have worked with were very far gone and extremely brittle. It's my opinion that this brittleness issue would have to be addressed before a long term successful repair could be made. Anyone out there found a better product?

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Steve you bring up some good point's.  All the fixes, including mine, deal with the results but your thought are more of a prevention which is what really needs to be taken into account.  It something isn't done to restore the flexibility of the vinyl then it will just crack some place else and eventually you will have nothing but patches.

Steve what do you think if you heated the area up like put a heater by the tractor to make the air temp higher then put the Mothers Back to Black vinyl restorer on?  

• caseguy said thank you

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:43 PM

I tried something similar using both the Mother's and plain baby oil. I applied them liberally, covered the seats with plain old kitchen plastic wrap and set them in the sun on a bright summer day. The results were mediocre and temporary for both of them. the very surface seemed to soften a bit, but the plastic still ended up cracking just a few months later. Maybe a more thorough heating and a longer soak might do the trick.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I wonder if you could treat the seat and then put in an oven at around 150 to 200F for a few hours. Just make sure you stay below the melting point.

• caseguy said thank you