• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thinking of making a sleeve hitch for my bolens 1477... Does anyone have one to give me measurements to go by ???

I have some measurements of one but I don't think it is for a 1477.. cause the width is 11" wide..

Mine is 18" on center to go into the middle of my hitch  pins..If that is right ?? or do they go on the inside of  the brackets ??   I have the material to make it if I can heat and bend the 2" X  1/8 plate steel. The last time I tryed to bend it I almost tipped my whole work bench over :hitting_self_roller:  I'm gonna bolt my vise to a stump this time, then heat and bend..

Any way if I could get some measurements that would be great...  Thanks   sodi.. :D

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:59 PM

2" x 1/8 seems kinda light to me and would bend easy I would think?? Would think you would want 5/16" or even 3/8" stock for main frame.  What I do is get clean cardboard and lay out my plan and dimensions on it. Then you can lay the metal right on the plan to match it up and make it even. Use straight edges and square to make base line and center lines to start. Measure your axle mount spacing and lay it out on the base line and use square to make two right angle guide lines. Try to figure how far out you want the farthest portion to be and make another base line for that hitch end accross your plan. Then you can kinda figure out   how wide to make that hitch flat section and the angles and draw them on the plan. The tube in hitch end and the flat plates for top/bottom if you are using and the adjustable part with the two bolts could all be sketched onto plan and figured for dimensions. I believe the tube length is critical and probly universal, but not sure what that is. The plan/sketch is also nice for a shop if you have things bent/made by them. They should have the benders and such to make at least the main frame part and keep it straight. The rest you can do yourself. Buy the metals from them too, make them happy!

• KennyP, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:54 PM

Nice write up, GL. I agree the 1/8" is a bit light. All the ones I have are at least 3/8".

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I am getting one made up at a local shop also. I used the sketch that is in the manuals for a base design. Then put in the measurements needed for my tractor. 3/8 is what was called for in that drawing. If the hitch will be used for plowing that is a lot of pull on it. Gl gave a excellent way to figure it out.

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Great idea to make your own hitch! I will be watching this build. :watch_over_fence:  Don't forget the pics :camera: !! Try bolting your work bench to the wall. I did that and have only heard the wall creak and groan. It has not moved though, and I have bent some crazy heavy material.

Geno

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:46 PM

2" x 1/8 seems kinda light to me and would bend easy I would think?? Would think you would want 5/16" or even 3/8" stock for main frame.  What I do is get clean cardboard and lay out my plan and dimensions on it. Then you can lay the metal right on the plan to match it up and make it even. Use straight edges and square to make base line and center lines to start. Measure your axle mount spacing and lay it out on the base line and use square to make two right angle guide lines. Try to figure how far out you want the farthest portion to be and make another base line for that hitch end accross your plan. Then you can kinda figure out   how wide to make that hitch flat section and the angles and draw them on the plan. The tube in hitch end and the flat plates for top/bottom if you are using and the adjustable part with the two bolts could all be sketched onto plan and figured for dimensions. I believe the tube length is critical and probly universal, but not sure what that is. The plan/sketch is also nice for a shop if you have things bent/made by them. They should have the benders and such to make at least the main frame part and keep it straight. The rest you can do yourself. Buy the metals from them too, make them happy!

If it does you any good I just built one for my case and used 3 inch tubes and have no problem with brinly plow hooking up.

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:56 PM

I can use thicker material------ Now for the measurements that fit a 1477 bolens  ?????

#8 1967bolens collector ONLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 649 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 04:52 PM

i never seen a sleeve hitch for a large frame just 3pt's with sleeve hitch addaptors

Edited by 1967bolens collector, January 25, 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#9 PappyH OFFLINE  

PappyH

• Member No: 7112
  • 35 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't  know if I can help you but I have a hitch that has a hand written tag on it that says Bolens Model 18907-02 Rear Attachment Hitch.  I have know Idea what it fits.  Not trying to hi-jack your thread but if this is what you need I can measure it for you.

Bryan

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Bryan, that sounds good to me. Got a pic of it?

#11 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 06:29 PM

I have a hitch that has a hand written tag on it that says Bolens Model 18907-02 Rear Attachment Hitch.  I have know Idea what it fits. 

The # 18907 Hitch was a sleeve hitch for Brinly attachments.  ...This hitch fit all models of Bolens tube-frame tractors, but did not fit the large-frame tractors.

• PappyH said thank you

#12 PappyH OFFLINE  

PappyH

• Member No: 7112
  • 35 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the Info Bruce.  Guess I wasn't any help after all and now it won't do me any good as I want a large frame Bolens sometime.

#13 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:39 AM

As near as I can tell from looking at the attachment interchange list in the 1987 "Bolens Equipment Service Seminar" manual, Bolens did not make a sleeve hitch for the large frames.

They did list the Brinly "A" frame with a Bolens number of 18066, that attached to the 3-pt hitch.  That would have allowed for the use of sleeve hitch attachments.

#14 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks   OLD B.

I looked up some old sales brouchures,, and the lg frames,,the QT17,,and the HT23 used 3PT hitches and then an A frame adapter.

Now I'm wondering which way to go ????  I could be the first to have a sleave hitch for a large frame..When I layed out the template for the sleeve hitch I thought it looked kinda big compared to the ones I see on E-Bay and such..I think it would work out just as well and I can't think of what I would need a 3pt for..Wonder how hard it would be to make a 3pt for a lg-frame ???  My thought was to just make a hitch for a plow...

ANY thoughts ????   sodi

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:47 PM

The 18010 3-pt hitch that fits your tractor is a pretty simple affair.

You can find the illustrated parts list here:

http://gardentractor...0-3pt-hitchpdf/

Assuming you have some fabrication skills it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

You could make it simpler by buying pre-made lift arms like these.

http://www.eezs.com/...l&Product_Id=90

http://www.xtrememot...s/CC-03-006.htm

You would have to make sure that they are the right length though.