#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Found this clip on website I was led to by a google search...

"...I wanted the ethanol out. I could distill it but I came up with an easier way.

Wash it out.

I get say 20L of E 10 as we have here, throw in say 5L of water and give it a shake.  Water and eth goes to the bottom and good, clean pure Petrol to the top.

Takes only a few minutes to separate but I usually leave for an hour or overnight for good measure.

I decant the petrol, not to carefully as I add the dregs to the next batch and repeat.

Water and Petrol DON’t Mix but water and Ethanol love one another."

http://www.utterpower.com/

The site owner goes on to reply this:

"As for the use in gasoline engines, this may be ok in extremely low compression engines on old equipment, but we may need an octane booster after we strip the Ethanol away. My understanding is one of the few advantages of ethanol is it does raise the octane of the mix a bit.. so removing it means you likely have a lower octane Petrol fuel, and may see destructive pre detonation. WE need beware of how we might improve the octane (if necessary) with after market additives as it might contain more alcohol."

• Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:46 AM

We use the same process when making BIO-Diesel. So that should work, just have to not drain down past the water level in your holding tank.

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'm thinking it would be an easy enough process if you made your self a separation funnel out of a one gallon washer fluid jug.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:09 PM

Just buy Premium if it is that much of worry!  I would not spend MY time messing around like this for Lawnmower gas! :(

• John@Reliable, boyscout862 and Farmlife have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:31 PM

There is also a safety issue having gasoline in open containers and siphoning it off, transferring it etc. A lot of work. I'm with grumpy. I buy premium and don't worry about it. 

#6 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:08 PM

I personally add things such as a cap full of Lucas to every other tank.  I'm not looking for economical (mileage) benefits in my GT's and they run great the way I do it and the preventive maint stuff such as oil changes so I'm not overly concerned with types of fuel.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:03 PM

I saw the title and thought:"That's just like the book!"  The book I am talking about is Alistair MacLean's "Night without End" which features a chase in the Artic.  One team finds that their fuel reserve has been sabatoged with sugar, and the ultimate solution is to drop water into the jerry cans, because the sugar prefers the water, so once the fuel has been washed, it is safe to use in the engines.

• Utah Smitty and twostep have said thanks

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Just buy Premium if it is that much of worry!  I would not spend MY time messing around like this for Lawnmower gas! :(

premium in my area still has 10% ethenol.

There is also a safety issue having gasoline in open containers and siphoning it off, transferring it etc. A lot of work. I'm with grumpy. I buy premium and don't worry about it. 

what is so dangerous about pouring gas into a gallon jug/sep funnel and letting it sit then draining off the water?

I wouldn't worry about doing this for summer time mowing but I could see the benefit for things that you don't use regularly like tillers, chippers, chainsaws.

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:36 PM

I've had very good results with treating my gas. Now more than in the past making sure storage container's

have a tight seal is most important. As far as equipment that isn't used a lot, I store them dry, so far so good.

Also the days of storing over 10 gallons at a time are over, unless I'm going to use it up for a project,

or a storm is coming I only buy what I can use in a month, if I bulk up for a storm, in the car it goes if it's not needed.

• JDBrian and twostep have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:05 AM

It's easy to forget to rotate your stored gas. That's another reason I like diesel. I treat mine as well. The Opti fuel treatment is good stuff but not readily available here lately. I use the JD stuff now. Seems to work OK.

premium in my area still has 10% ethenol.

what is so dangerous about pouring gas into a gallon jug/sep funnel and letting it sit then draining off the water?

Our Premium is still not posted with the 10% tag, not yet anyway. Any time you are handling gasoline and transferring it from one container to another there is a danger of an explosion. A spark or a static discharge is all it takes. It rarely happens, but I know someone who got badly burned in a fire where gas ignited unexpectedly. 

• twostep said thank you

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 08:02 AM

As far as equipment that isn't used a lot, I store them dry, so far so good.

...I only buy what I can use in a month, if I bulk up for a storm, in the car it goes if it's not needed.

So to store dry do you just shut off the fuel or do you drain the tank as well? What about the bowl? do you take loose and drain what is the bottom of the bowl? So far I've done just the oposite... I have treated with stabil and stored as full as I can get it.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 10:33 AM

How about putting a petcock in the bottom of your separation container? Since the water settles to bottom, just open petcock, drain, then you do not have to "decant" or pour off gas. If you can find container with convex bottom, you even be better so it would all go to the middle.

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:20 PM

I saw the title and thought:"That's just like the book!"  The book I am talking about is Alistair MacLean's "Night without End" which features a chase in the Artic.  One team finds that their fuel reserve has been sabatoged with sugar, and the ultimate solution is to drop water into the jerry cans, because the sugar prefers the water, so once the fuel has been washed, it is safe to use in the engines.

I thought I had read all of Alistair Mac Lean's books--he was one of my favorite authors when I was a kid, but that's one I hadn't heard of...

Smitty

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:50 PM

The question that comes to my mind is how do you dispose of the contaminated water?
In a manner that will not contaminate ground water?

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:58 PM

The question that comes to my mind is how do you dispose of the contaminated water?
In a manner that will not contaminate ground water?

It appears the book was published in 1959-It predates the EPA and pollution concerns by about 11 years!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ethanol, fuel