19 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I have been a dedicated Wood/Charcoal smoker man for over 30 yrs. And have no plans to abandon my Brinkman Pit Pro. My brother had bought a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain gas smoker a couple years ago. He decided he was not into smoking meats, and told me to come get his smoker since he knew I would use it.

I have thought a gas smoker would be alright for those times when the temps are below 30 degrees and the wood smoker is more difficult to maintain a stable temperature.

So am going to get a couple propane tanks and give the gas a try.

Incidently, the Temperature was in the 50's last Saturday, So I smoked a large pork roast(for Pulled Pork and a couple briskets for a church supper Sunday night. That went over very well!

• daytime dave, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Now you're making me real hungry. I love smoked ribs and brisket!

• twostep said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yes Kenny the Brisket is a favorite of mine. I tried smoking ribs, But have abandoned that. The ribs are thin enough they are too easy to dry out in a long "Slow & Low" smoking process(in My opinion). So when doing all the other meats in the smoker, I hold the ribs back and do them on my charcoal grill at a higher temp for a shorter time. We do a lot of Rib's it's my grandsons favorite, But his being a 180 lb teenager it's tough to buy enough to fill him up?

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 24, 2013 - 11:42 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I also love smoked meats, just something about the flavor. Gosh am I getting hungry.

Dick

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM

What Terry and I used to do with ribs for us was to cook them for a while in the oven first, then put them on the charcoaler for a bit to finish them out. Not enough to fire up a smoker, plus we could smell them for a couple hours and get an appetite going!

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Mmmmm,  smoked anything is good.  One for regular and the gas for colder weather = smoked anytime.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yes Kenny the Brisket is a favorite of mine. I tried smoking ribs, But have abandoned that. The ribs are thin enough they are too easy to dry out in a long "Slow & Low" smoking process(in My opinion). So when doing all the other meats in the smoker, I hold the ribs back and do them on my charcoal grill at a higher temp for a shorter time. We do a lot of Rib's it's my grandsons favorite, But his being a 180 lb teenager it's tough to buy enough to fill him up?

Have you tried the 3-2-1 method for the ribs? 3 hrs on the smoker around 225, wrapped for 2 hours with some liquid ( I use a Dr Pepper/ maple syrup mop), then sauce and 1 more hour open in the smoker. I have never had a slab dry out using that method. Every slab cooks a little different, so you have to keep an eye on them in the last hour so they dont get too done and fall apart.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes I tried the 3-2-1 method and still went back to grilling instead. I don't put any sauce on meats before or during the smoking or grilling processs( if you get a hot spot and burn the sugars in a sauce it ain't good).

Though I will once it's out of the grill.

Pretty much everything is prepared with a dry rub(I will brine Turkey) but the dry rub works well with that too.

I'll revive another post with the Rub we use. This is a good starting point, but everyone's tastes are different. So don't be afraid to modify it and make it your own.

http://gardentractor...569-jo-jos-rub/

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 24, 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:21 PM

They call the burnt stuff bark. I am not a big fan of saucing too early (well.. the meat anyway) I like to let the smoker do the work and sugar based rubs/ sauces will block the smoke penetration.

#10 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:52 PM

We love smoked meats. My wifes son does all the smoking for our families , but my wife wants a amoker ( charcoal wood ) of her own so she can add to all her other cooking abilitys. Which is great .I've been looking to suprise her but don't know what to get.

larryd

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:06 PM

We love smoked meats. My wifes son does all the smoking for our families , but my wife wants a amoker ( charcoal wood ) of her own so she can add to all her other cooking abilitys. Which is great .I've been looking to suprise her but don't know what to get.

larryd

Larry, I don't think there are many bad smokers on the market. I started with one of the low end upright Webers, then went to a side box Brinkman Pro. It's been around and used for about 20 yrs(It has never been stored inside and will need replacement soon). You might see what your wife's son is using and how he likes it?

Walmart or Target is likely to have Brinkman, CharBroil or Kingsford or even another brand, and while every smoker has it's quirks(Hot Spots,Cold Spots etc) they are all pretty much the same. The best advise I can give you is buy one, use it and learn how to make it perform to your liking. I don't believe Barbeque or Smoking is a destination it is a lifetime Journey, enjoy the trip.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 24, 2013 - 03:09 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#12 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I do mine on my pit. With the rotisserie the meat self bastes with the dry rub. Puts on a nice flavorful bark, but leaves the inside real moist and tender. About 2 hrs.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6353.JPG
  • IMAG0446.jpg

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm hungry not too. I've only got a small charcoal grill and have never been able to maintain a good temp so I found another way to do my ribs:

1) Get about a one briquette layer of hot charcoal down

2) Lay out split (roughly 1/2" x 1 1/2") mesquite wood on it, let it get a good flame going

3) Throw the unmarinated plain ribs on the grill and shut the lid with the chimney closed (if smoke is rolling out from under the lid then you're doing it right...)

4) After 10-15 minutes turn, repeat again in another 10-15. do this until the coals are pretty much extiguished.

5) Wrap the ribs in foil and seal, set them in a backing pan and bake at 225 for about 5-6 hours.

6) enjoy fall-apart ribs :) 

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#14 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have been useing the same one for years.  It's strictly wood and charcoal for me.  I've tried electric smokers, gas, etc.....smoking meats is an art.  Once you get it down and fig small tricks to help maintain temps easier (such as water pans), its not too difficult even in the winter.  I'm glad you got it for free tho, free is always better!!

Here's my smoker with some jerky I did on it this summer.

smoker.jpg smoker2.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I too like to smoke. My FIL has an almost new 16" Horizon Classic smoker he doesn't use. He told me he would give it to me. Horizon is made by the brother of Oklahoma Joe, and is made here in Oklahoma. I can hardy wait until I get it.