MF 1655 54" mower problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MacWorld OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 13, 2010 - 11:43 AM

I am trying to repair for the second time the center blade shaft of the 54" mower (the one with 3 blades timed with 2 timing belts). The shaft, bearings, snap rings, blade holder and blade were replaced with new parts last year but once again a recurring problem occurred; the center blade's shaft moved down so much that it stopped being turned by the drive shaft and the 2 outer blades hit it.

This problem happened many times in the past with this tractor but before I repaired it last year there had been no parts replaced (I don't know how they did repair it the previous times). I thought I fixed the problem but seems not.

Is it something that happened to someone else? Did I reassembled the shaft in the wrong way? Is there more than one "possible" way to assemble everything and I used the wrong one? If this is a common problem, is there a modification possible to repair it permanently? (I have access to a machine shop)

Does someone have an "exploded view" of the center shaft?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,525 Thanks
  • 3,779 posts

Posted September 13, 2010 - 12:05 PM

Here is a parts break down.
Parts and Diagrams for Snapper 7080499 - 54" Mower Attachment (MF)
Also check that the blade not out of balance to far.
You mentioned the shaft is dropping down. do you see the snap ring is broken or missing on top of the upper bearing.
That would be what is letting the shaft slide down.
All in all a pretty stout quill assembly. Weak link on these mowers are the belt and pulley wear.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,188 Thanks
  • 29,677 posts

Posted September 13, 2010 - 12:49 PM

Yep, as Don pointed out, it must be a missing/broken upper snap ring. That snap ring is ALL that keeps the shaft in it's upper position. Examine the groove the snap ring resides in. If damaged, I'd have a machinist re-groove it to accept 2 snap rings, or one thicker one.