• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:15 PM

What Briggs will replace a k321 without modifications ? I can't decide wether to rebuild my Kohler or try to replace with something that requires no mods.

Sometimes my K321 smokes like a fogger on initial startup , sometimes it smokes very little ,hot or cold .

larryd

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Before you worry about a rebuild do some maintenance. Add Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to the gas( 1/2 oz per gal) and put a few hours on it. Then look at: an oil change, air filter, ignition, valve lash and breather. If any are questionable change it. Then, after a couple of weeks of running it with MMO in the gas, check for smoking. Most times it will have cleared up.

If it still smokes a little you can probably run it for a lot of hours by just adding MMO to the gas. When you get to the point that it smokes too much a rebuild is the best choice. The Kohler is a heavy duty engine that would be hard to match. I figure about $175 for the parts and do the work myself. Good Luck

Come to think of it check the breather first.

Edited by boyscout862, January 23, 2013 - 03:41 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Make sure fuel is not running into cylinder from carb seat valve. You could shut off fuel and let engine run until it runs fuel out of carb and see if engine smokes on next start up. Dont know it your engine has a gravity flow tank or fuel pump. On a gravity fuel flow tank a bad seat can let fuel leak into cylinder and oil sump pan. Check your oil and see if it smells of gasoline. If your GT has fuel pump this is not an issue. Also you could do a compression test and leak down test on your engine for ring wear issues.

• larryd said thank you

#4 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:58 PM

see if it smells of gasoline. If your GT has fuel pump this is not an issue.

It could be an issue. On the pumps that are pulsed by the crankcase vacuum, if they leak internal they can fill the crankcase with gas.

• larryd said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Larry the crankshaft height is an issue when trying to replace a K series engine in a 314. The crank is low in the engine due to the oil pan being below the mounting flanges. One thing I would do is invest in a head gasket and de carbon the head and top of the cylinder. You can try to do this with Seafoam as well but by taking the head off it gives you a good idea of the condition of the top end of the motor. These engines are also very serviceable and you may be able to repair it cheaper than getting a used Briggs. Your best bet for a used engine would be another K series with the flange mount block. 

• larryd said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Most Briggs have only 1" shafts and K's usually 1-1/8".  Don't know if Briggs had those dropped foot pans like K's did, might be another hard to find issue.  I think checking/cleaning your breather is first step if it isn't acting the same each time. Be cafeful not to put together breather wrong or it will pump out more oily mess. A manual points this out and has instructions. Pulling head sounds like good idea too.  I don't believ a Briggs is gonna be that good of engine over a Kohler. Rebuild the K if needed. Lots of kits on epay for fair cost. Just get bore checked if you need boreing and buy kit to match. Have rod end checked too, might need crank turned .o1o.

• larryd said thank you

#7 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I have checked most of the items mentioned except valve lash and pulling the head. I did put some marvel in the oil but not the gas.

I'll try the gas . I've got the engine out because of repaint , so I might as well see just what it might need . I do agree that the Kohler is probably a better engine. It starts at the turn of the switch and doesn't seem to be lacking for power.

Thanks for all the input . This is a great bunch of gt folks on this forum .

larryd

Edited by larryd, January 23, 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:11 PM

There you go Larry, all the answers you could want and more.  Talk with you later about it.

Dick

• larryd said thank you

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:22 AM

From all the answers, I think everyone is telling you that a Kohler is better than the B & S.

• larryd said thank you

#10 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:17 AM

OK gentlemen  , Briggs is out . I just pulled the head off a few minutes ago. I was quite supprised. No ring groove , you feel nothing with your fingernail . very little carbon , and very very very little movement of piston in top , middle , or bottom of cylinder.,no scratches or grooves in cylinder . Don't know about valves yet. .Did have 3 loose head bolts on pto side of engine .

So now I need to find a valve spring compressor and check valves , and guides I guess .

larryd