• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:16 PM

I started my engine re-power last night. Just for background, my rig is a Dynamark/MF 14 that had a Kohler K321S that gave me nothing but problems. (see numerous posts by me!)

I purchased a brand new in box Kohler CH620 18HP V-Twin. Here is the first picture.

Noteable changes:

- new mounting on chassis for engine to bolt on

- Turn battery and gas tank 90 degress and remount (this included cutting the body in numerous areas for fit)

- cutoff mount for pulley on frame below PTO (will be re-welding this to the frame next week)

- Control linkages for throttle and choke were actually long enough!

- Cut notch in frame to accomodate the lower starter bolt

This made for a long night, but was a good one. My buddy and I did all that in about 3.5 hours. Custom mounting plate fabrication and fitting the engine took the longest. The cutting was fast thanks to my plasma cutter :)

Next up:

- Custom exhaust in the works (going to have custom flanges CNC Milled and use weld els for the manifold)

- New battery cabling and terminations

- Make mounting plate for new electric PTO

- Fit alternate hydraulic pump

- Fit pulley system for attachments

TEST!

Stay tuned!

new_engine.jpeg

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:34 PM

1) where located?  2) what kind of issues did you have with the old K321S?  3) what are you gonna do with that engine  and 4) was that Kohler a transplant? as I see mostly Briggs and an occasional Tecumseh on Dynamark equip, and I cant say I have ever seen a horiz  shaft anything on a Dynamark.. granted, I haven't seen everything they ever made though, either

#3 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:38 PM

1) where located?  2) what kind of issues did you have with the old K321S?  3) what are you gonna do with that engine  and 4) was that Kohler a transplant? as I see mostly Briggs and an occasional Tecumseh on Dynamark equip, and I cant say I have ever seen a horiz  shaft anything on a Dynamark.. granted, I haven't seen everything they ever made though, either

1) Where am I located? Manitoba, Canada

2) I threw 3 conn rods (even had journal machined etc) and got fed up. Original failure was blown balance gear, then needed rebuild.

3) The old Kohler K321S is on my garage floor and gets a boot everytime i'm angry :) I have a new conn rod in the box ready to install. Not sure what i'll do with it.

4) That was the original engine that was on it. Great little tractor, after this it's going to be a FANTASTIC little tractor!

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Looking good looking forward to more pictures

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:52 PM

wow, 3 blown rods in 1 engine?  Canada is  a bit far away for what I was thinkin when I asked;

and may explain how there is a horiz shaft-engined Dynamark to be having this discussion over, as all Dynamark tractors that  I have ever seen in my area, were low end box store quality with vertical shafts here....  I'm sure they could have sold a different lineup in canada

have you used OE Kohler replacements? Did they cut the radius a little tight when the crank was ground? 

I had a Dynamark 8HP snowblower once (yes it was a horiz shaft LOL)  it was actually a good machine, til it was STOLEN from the shed at my parent's fishing cottage where I had it stored one summer

• frenchy said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Frenchy, I'm sorry to hear that you've had such trouble with an engine. The Kohler rods have a particular technique for torqueing. You have to identify which type of rod it is and go to a table for the torque specs. Some of them have an * that leads to a note. The note says to torque to 110% then back off and retorque to the correct amount. Not following this has caused more than a few rebuilds to blow. Check the manual that you can download here. Good  Luck

Edited by boyscout862, January 23, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

• tractorman604 and frenchy have said thanks

#7 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:21 PM

wow, 3 blown rods in 1 engine?  Canada is  a bit far away for what I was thinkin when I asked;

and may explain how there is a horiz shaft-engined Dynamark to be having this discussion over, as all Dynamark tractors that  I have ever seen in my area, were low end box store quality with vertical shafts here....  I'm sure they could have sold a different lineup in canada

have you used OE Kohler replacements? Did they cut the radius a little tight when the crank was ground? 

I had a Dynamark 8HP snowblower once (yes it was a horiz shaft LOL)  it was actually a good machine, til it was STOLEN from the shed at my parent's fishing cottage where I had it stored one summer

I have no idea what the issues are. Fortunately I got some extra cash to throw into a new engine. Good riddance K321!

Frenchy, I'm sorry to hear that you've had such trouble with an engine. The Kohler rods have a particular technique for torqueing. You have to identify which type of rod it is and go to a table for the torque specs. Some of them have an * that leads to a note. The note says to torque to 110% then back off and retorque to the correct amount. Not following this has caused more than a few rebuilds to blow. Check the manual that you can download here. Good  Luck

Thanks boyscout. Wish i would've known that 3 rods ago LOL

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Frenchy, I assumed that you mic'ed the rod journal in six places and that it is perfectly smooth. Otherwise you should check it. Download the manual and go through it carefully. I've been playing with Kohlers for over thirty years, and I learn something new each time I go into the manual. Of course, in my case it could just be old-timers. Good Luck, Rick

#9 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Looking good Frenchy!

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Looking forward to the outcome of this project.  That will be one sweet little tractor.  :thumbs:

#11 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Looks like nice work! We would love to see more pics as the repower comes along. Looking forward to the progress. Thanks for sharing!

:watch_over_fence:

Geno

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:35 PM

That ought to perk it up some!

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:38 PM

That's too bad about the grief you had with the K321. This new setup sure sounds

like an interesting project. Lookin forward to more updates.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Frenchy, I remember the thread where you were having all that grief with the Kohler.  I'm sorry nothing was able to rescue that Kohler for you, but glad you're hanging in there with returning the tractor to service.  Congrats and look forward to seeing the rest come together.

#15 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 11:48 PM

I hope everything goes well. I have a JD 140 with the K321(AS). Could this work in that as well?  Keep us posted as it is a great idea.

Edited by anderson classic tractors, January 23, 2013 - 11:50 PM.