#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 01:37 PM

I have seen this on TV for a while and thought 'hm... if it works that well It might just be worth buying".

The other day while browsing ebay I came across one and couldn't help it but I pushed the 'Buy It Now' button.  A few days later I got a package on the front porch and it was finally home. Not wanting to wait I rushed out to the building and grabbed few bits that I did a pretty nasty sharpening job on before. While unpackaging this little jewel I noticed I got a free knife also. That's kind of a bad/good thing. Good because I need another knife because I lost my last one. The bad thing is it's going to probably end up in the same place as my last ones which I haven't found yet.

It came with a hard plastic carrying case and was packaged rather well. Like most things in this world today it's made of mostly plastic but it did have a few pieces of steel. It was a lot bigger than I imagined. I unpacked the machine and threw the instuctions and instructional video to the side. In about 30 seconds I already had the machine mastered. It's a VERY VERY easy machine to use (even a caveman can do it) and quite powerful. After sharpening a few bits I was quite amazed at the job that it did. After a few minutes it was time to lay my girl down for a nap so play time was over for me.

Later that night i went outside and grabbed one that had not been sharpened  I decided I was going to put this drill bit thru the ringer. I basically tried to destroy this drill bit. I first started drilling multiple holes in a old piece of a PTO that I had to shorten. I must have drilled atleast 10 hole and decided that was not dulling the bit fast enough. I went outside and grabbed a brick and dug into for a few minutes and I was satisfied finally with the dullness of the bit. This drill bit looked horrible. i didn't think it was going to recover from the torture that I had just put it thru. I pulled the drill doctor out of it's case and sharpened the drill bit. After about 16-20 (you have to make a even amt of spins) the drill bit honestly looked brand new on the end.

Now it's time for the true test. I put the bit back inside of my drill press and started drilling the same PTO shaft as I was drilling before. This time it was TOTALLY different. There was metal shavings coming out there of both cutting surfaces that was 4" to 6" long. I have been told that a drill bit is cutting good if the metal shavings are long and coming out of both flutes. This drill bit was doing ALL OF THE ABOVE. I was quite amazed that something could work so well and only took me 30 seconds to figure out how to do it.

I would 1000% recommend a Drill Doctor to ANYONE that works with metal. I am very pleased at quality and how easy this machine is to use.

• daytime dave, Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 23, 2013 - 01:58 PM

I got one a few weeks ago (750x) and sharpened 2 full drill index boxes in almost no time at all. I didnt do the extensive test that you did , but 2 or 3 were already trashed and they sharpened up real good. Did you try the split point sharpener? The few I tested cut better than new. I have a few in the 5/8 to 3/4 range that I have not tried to sharpen yet. Some have the edge of the flute worn down so much, I dont think they can be saved without grinding 1/2" off of the point. I might try to "rough them in" with the bench grinder and finish them on the DD. I dont know how long the grinding wheel will last, but I dont want to intentionally try to find out.

#3 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:29 PM

It's a great tool and far better than "winging" a bit by hand.  The results are consistant on every size.  Split points are it's best feature.  Mine is a 750X and will also do masonry bits at a different angle.  Don't go by the prices listed on their website, I got mine for waaay less from Northern Tool on a sale.

Info here:

http://www.drilldoct...product_id=2668

they also have "how-to vids" on the different models if you're not sure how they work.

• SearsYellow said thank you

#4 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey Gum bring it over and we will put it to a real test on all my mangled bits.

I need to buy one. Hopefully soon I will have one.

#5 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:19 PM

The drill doctors are great.I love that thing.My grandfather has one but doesn't  know how to use it.So he gives me the bits to sharpen.The one bit i did the tip was snapped off so i ground it flat and sharpened it.It took some time but the bit cuts like new.

#6 JRJ ONLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:33 PM

I looked at getting one a good while back but found  there were different models and it got confusing which one so I did not purchase one at the time.

Dick

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:43 PM

I looked at getting one a good while back but found  there were different models and it got confusing which one so I did not purchase one at the time.

Dick

The model (500x,750x, etc) is easy to decypher. The 500 will do up to a .500" bit, the 750 will do up to a .750" bit, but here is the curve ball... you can buy a jig for the 500 to do .750 bits. that tells me there isnt much difference between the 500 and the 750. I have not done the math yet, the price diff to upgrade a new 500 is about what the 750 would cost anyway. If you already owned a 500 you could upgrade to a used 750 for about $25.

Edited by rat88, January 23, 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:39 PM

I was given a model 500 and really like the job it does.  I used to do pretty good sharpening bits with a bench grinder but my eyesight is nothing like it used to be.  This thing makes it almost foolproof. 

#9 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I use one at work, I am very pleased also. Hey George,(NUTNDUN)maybe drill doctor should be a site sponsor.

#10 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Sounds like a good purchase. I could use one of those as well. I see there are a couple of hardware store chains that sell them in Canada. 

#11 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Not sure which model I have but it works very well on the ones I have sharpened. Real easy to get the hang of it.

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for that review.  I got a drill doctor a several years ago and still have not used it.  I have a few bits to sharpen. I don't even know what model it is.  Your review will get me motivated to use it on one of these long, cold days.

#13 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I have a drill doctor at the shop. It works very well at sharpen the bits, only thing is I can't get the split point part to work right. Spent many hours trying different ways and couldn't get the right angle. So I don't use the split point part of it anymore.