Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Uploading Pic's In Linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've been helping a member up load their pictures from their camera to the computer and since we all like pictures and several of you are trying Linux and may not know how to do it.  I thought I would provide a brief tutorial for you.

I believe that most are using Ubuntu or a Derivative of Ubuntu.  All of these usually come with Shotwell as their Photo managing software but if you have something else installed it should be basically the same.

1. First thing is plug the USB cord for your camera into the computer and camera
  2. Turn the camera on
  3. Next one of three things will happen: a dialog will pop up (similar to Windows) and give you a couple of choices.  Choose open with Shotwell.  Second Shotwell will just open or third you will just get notification that a device has been connected to your computer.  This is what happens on my system and you just have to manually open Shotwell. In all 3 cases you want Shotwell opened.
  4. Once Shotwell is open in the panel on the left towards the top you will see your camera's name, I.E. Cannon, Olympus etc. or Usb ptp click on that link.
  5. When you click on your camera Shotwell will look at your camera and then present you with the photos on your camera.  You can either import all of them or select certain ones you want.  Shotwell respects the standard short cut keys of shift and ctrl in selecting multiple photos.
  6. Once you have decided what photos you want to up load you will see 2 buttons down in the right hand lower corner.  One is for importing selected photos and the other is for importing all the photos. When you click on either button Shotwell will start to import.
  7. When Shotwell is done a dialog window will appear asking you if you would like to keep or delete the photos on your camera.  I usually delete mine but my wife keeps them on her camera just in case.
  8. When you return to the Shotwell interface you will be in the album where you photos are.  On your hard drive Shotwell stores your photo's by year / month/ day so say you have a photo taken in January 25, 2013 your path to the photo would be /home/pictures/13/1/25.

Shotwell.png

In Linux you do not have to worry about drivers and all that stuff they are provided for you.  But if you have a really new camera and an older distro then you may have an issue.  

If anyone see's something I forgot or isn't clear feel free to add to this.

• coldone, jms180, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#2 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:23 AM

or if you use a USB card reader all you have to do is take the card out of the camera, plug it into the card reader . a window will pop up and what i do is open another window and copy and paste the pics i want and its done.

when i get off work ill do a video on how i do it. it will be done on my tablet which i just upgraded to 12.04

Edited by dogsoldier, January 24, 2013 - 05:43 AM.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 02:50 PM

as promised here is the video of how i upload pics from my camera. 

for those that arent sure what a card reader is here is a pic of one of mine

100_1938.JPG

and here is the video 

i hope this helps. if you have any questions just ask.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Has this got sound? I'm on the laptop and not sure if it's the problem or the video!

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:10 PM

no, no sound. sorry i should have said that

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Then my puter ain't broke. Whew!

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks DS, with any dealing with a computer there is more then one way to do things.

No Kenny your puter isn't broke.  :smilewink: