John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:37 PM

I just turned down free tickets to Bristol in March, did it, done it, I really need money for new tires instead.....for 4 vehicles :wallbanging:

Your killing me, I would rather go to Bristol than Daytona any day. :D  Daytona is so big you can't see cars on the back side of the track from the front grandstand. I was sitting in the Petty tower last row, great seats. We could only kind of see cars but couldn't see who it was, but did see the jet pilots face in the flyover :bigrofl:.

Bristol is just like your local Saturday night racing, but with all really good drivers rubbing and bumping to the front! :thumbs:

#62 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Your killing me, I would rather go to Bristol than Daytona any day. :D  Daytona is so big you can't see cars on the back side of the track from the front grandstand. I was sitting in the Petty tower last row, great seats. We could only kind of see cars but couldn't see who it was, but did see the jet pilots face in the flyover :bigrofl:.

Bristol is just like your local Saturday night racing, but with all really good drivers rubbing and bumping to the front! :thumbs:

yea, I love Birstol, but I'm kind of the type of person, did it, done it, move onto next track.I want to go to Daytona just to say I did it/done it! I'm only an hour and 15 mins from Kentucky, need to hit that one as well. That one is drive there, come back home after race is over that night.

As I said, we need tires for all four of our vehicles now wife tell sme we have weekend trip planned for kids spring break.

• John@Reliable said thank you

#63 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 02:37 PM

As I said, we need tires for all four of our vehicles now wife tells me we have weekend trip planned for kids spring break.

I don't know if you have any tire operations like I have close to me, but they sell used tires, I know what your thinking and I did to until a friend explained to me how they do it. Many times tires are replaced in pairs due to alinement problems or mismatch brands, or junked by insurance salvaged yards, so this company buys tires from many sources,over all the NE states, bring then back, where they are graded, tested, matched up and sold. I haven't brought a "new" tire for about 5 years now, (8 cars and small trucks). They mounted, balanced,and installed four tires on daughters car two weeks ago for a grand total of 130 bucks.

This operation is big, think they run at least 8 class 7/8 trucks for pick ups and a few tractor trailers, 6 bay garage that's always busy, and they also wholesale them out too. I usually place an order if I need 6 or 8 ply tires on the trucks I run, but with-in a few days they call to say, your tires are in.

• TAHOE said thank you

#64 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well, I made it back. Highly disappointed, and wouldn't do it again. We arrived at the Orlando airport on Friday around 12:30, then drove the 45 minute drive to Daytona Beach. We went to the track to see where we would be setting up the garage, and found out the Nascar has us setting up at turn three....outside the fence!!!! Needless to say I was highly upset, coming all of this way, and finding out that we wouldn't even be in the infield. I counted to ten, took a deep breathe, and counted backwards from ten. From the track we went to Competition Tires South's warehouse, to start scanning and loading tires. First time ever there, and boy what a warehouse. Racks and racks, floor to ceiling, almost all full of various sized tires. Anyway, found our tires, and started pulling them off the racks. About a half hour into pulling tires down, we received a phone call from one of the higher up's, telling us that Nascar won't allow us to set up two tractor trailers until after lunch time on Saturday afternoon. So, now that we have some hours to kill, we just took our time pulling and scanning tires, and washing the big rigs. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Saturday morning, we met at the warehouse around 8:30 am, and finished scanning all of the tires, and then started loading the tires onto the trailers. I didn't think the stack of tires looked like quite enough, so after inquiring about it, I found out that we aren't going to be mounting the Cup tires as originally planned, but instead, we will be mounting the K and N series tires. Which means, 30 teams, at 3 sets each team, equal 360 tires, period! No Cup car tires, no Nationwide series tires, no Camping World series tires, no nothing else! Four mounters going at one time, means we each have 90 tires to mount and then we are done. Roughly two and half hours of work. Now I'm starting to smoke, as I'm highly upset. If I'd have known that this was all we were going to do, I would have declined the offer from the very beginning.

We finished loading the tires, and headed for the track. Made our way around the outside of the track, until we finally reached turn three. Parked the big rigs into position, and started getting the materials out to set up the awning and canopy. Again, the phone rings, and Nascar decided that they don't want the tarp over the canopy frame attached yet. We can set up the frame work, but just don't attach the canopy yet. Really??? Do you have any idea as to how hard it is to attach the canopy after the frame work is all up? It sucks!!!(to put it lightly) Well anyway, the frame work was up, the mounting machines and air tank all hooked up, and all of the airlines were run. Nothing else to do for the rest of the day, but wait. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Sunday morning arrives, and we head for the track. Once there, we (four guys) immediately start attaching the canopy, in 20mph winds!!!!! Can you say flight school??? Try pulling the Goodyear blimp down by yourself, in high winds and see how you make out!

Anyway, the canopy is now secured, and start unloading the tires, and place them in stacks of four, three stacks per team. When the teams started showing up with their wheels, we finally got around to mounting the tires around 10:00 am. At 12:15, we had all 360 tires mounted, and had nothing to do, but we aren't allowed to leave until all teams have inspected their tires, and turned in one set for qualifying. When the last team finally turned in their set of qualifying tires at 4:20, we could then lock the trailers, and for for a bite to eat. We headed to the local shopping mall, as it offered a tremendous amount of different food options, and on the way there, one of the Goodyear higher up's call, and said they need four guys in the infield to pull shocks from the qualifying calls. Oh boy, I finally get the chance to go in the track. Or so I thought!!!! We pulled in through the gate, and can to a Nascar check point. Seems that only full time Goodyear employees are the only ones allowed to go into the infield. Are you kidding me??? The guys all jumped out of the van, and I ended up driving back to the motel by myself. This has got to be the worst trip ever!

So there you have it. Didn't enjoy myself at all. I took pictures of what I could, and I'll try and post them tomorrow night. I'm glad I'm home, I missed the family, and I won't go back to do it again!

• John@Reliable, MAV, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#65 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Talk about being on the outside looking in, sorry you had a bad time but I'm not surprised. People ask me why I gave up my Na$car license, plain and simple, I won't give then a red cent if I can help it.They way they treat people is unreal, when I was racing I payed more to get "in" than a fan did, and I was part of the "show", :mad2:                don't get me going .............. :wallbanging:  :beer: 

• johndeereelfman and sacsr have said thanks

#66 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Troy, so sorry to hear of the bummer treatment you received down there.   :(

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#67 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,685 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I hope it rains down there for two weeks straight, starting Friday.

#68 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Wow. Sorry things went to badly. At least you got out of the snow.

#69 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Troy, I'm sorry to hear you got a raw deal on the trip. I don't blame you a bit about not going back! I'll miss the race on TV as I'll be out plowing!

#70 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Daytona Pictures 020.JPG Daytona Pictures 022.JPG Daytona Pictures 016.JPG Daytona Pictures 019.JPG Daytona Pictures 023.JPG

Above are pictures from inside the Competition Tire South Warehouse. Racks and racks full of racing tires. Anything from big drag tires all the way down to motorcycle racing tires.

Daytona Pictures 024.JPG Daytona Pictures 025.JPG Daytona Pictures 026.JPG Daytona Pictures 046.JPG Daytona Pictures 041.JPG Daytona Pictures 048.JPG Daytona Pictures 045.JPG Daytona Pictures 044.JPG Daytona Pictures 042.JPG Daytona Pictures 043.JPG

These are the limited pictures that I took from our location at the track. Couldn't see much from our location, so I didn't waste a lot of time snapping pictures of the track. I tried to give you an idea as to our set up for mounting tires. The tractor and trailer on the right with the canopy is where we set up under, and this trailer is full of the equipment that we use. The tractor and trailer on the left are full of tires stacked from floor to ceiling. The tires that are still left in the trailer are ones to go back to Reading, PA. I also took some pictures of the teams re-filling the tires with nitro, and taking measurements and temperatures of each of the tires. Each team received a total of 12 tires, and before they could leave, they had to turn one set of tires into Nascar for qualifying. I also included a picture of our mounting machines that we use. These bias ply tires take about a minute and twenty seconds on adverage to mount and air up.

Daytona Pictures 008.JPG Daytona Pictures 009.JPG Daytona Pictures 010.JPG Daytona Pictures 012.JPG Daytona Pictures 013.JPG Daytona Pictures 014.JPG Daytona Pictures 028.JPG Daytona Pictures 029.JPG Daytona Pictures 035.JPG Daytona Pictures 011.JPG

Above, these pictures are from our balcony at the motel, and of our room. Probably the best thing about the whole trip. The sand was so compacted, that two wheel vehicles could drive on it without getting stuck. Really nice views of the North and South piers, and I never saw so many seagulls in one location. There must have been thousands.

Daytona Pictures 038.JPG Daytona Pictures 049.JPG

Of course I had to take pictures of the Blimps!

Daytona Pictures 027.JPG Daytona Pictures 040.JPG

And this is me in front of the fence, all decked out in my uniform and hat, and one of the tires that I mounted. TEK are my initials, and the 15 represents the amount of air presure we fill them to. We have to initial each tire that we mount, in case something goes wrong, then they can tell who mounted it. If a mounter gets too many returns or his tires have too many mistakes, that mounter will be pulled from the garage and asked to leave the track.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#71 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Troy, sorry to hear the trip turned out so bad.  Just caulk it up to experience and let it go, all you can do.  If asked again politely just say no thanks and walk away.  I wish things had worked out better for ya buddy. 

#72 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 19, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I tried to watch the whelen and k&n races. What a joke. 33 cars on a .4 mile flat track. The most green flag laps I have seen was 7 in a row.

Edited by rat88, February 19, 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#73 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the photos Troy, I know you were looking so forward to that trip. That's just wrong the way G/Y did Y'all. :(

#74 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I owe all of you an apology. I went to bed last night, and couldn't sleep, due to feeling guilty. Here was a chance to go to Daytona to work for Goodyear, and mount tires for a Nascar race, and all I did was complain since I got back. Most people would have just been glad for the opportunity to get to Florida, let alone a Nascar race, or even just seeing the race track. I went with great expectation and came home like a selfish little brat. I'm glad I got to go, and I'm Thankful for my part time employment with Goodyear. I'm also glad that I have a job and can feel secure that there is food on the table and a roof over our heads. I had no right to complain or to be ungreatful for the opportunity. Please forgive me of my actions and my negetivity since my return. I'm not a man with a negetive or poor attitude by any means, and I'm sorry for coming across this way.

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#75 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 10:22 PM

It's fine Troy!  You were not treated as you were in the past, and without reason I might add.  That in itself is reason to be upset.  At the same time, I'm glad you have turned this around in your head so as NOT to be upset.  It's all good!  :thumbs: