#31 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Troy? That storage issue in the garage? We'll have that cleared up by the time you get back.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Troy,

Now the next time my favorite driver has a tire go down, I have someone to blame ... :bigrofl: :bigrofl: 

P.S. been around racing for years myself and I agree with you about the "stars", most are

really normal guys, especially when the cameras are off :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman and larryd have said thanks

#33 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Troy will you settle a bet for me. ? Years ago we raced ARCA-only made it to Talledaga, but I remember tires were inflated with Nitrogen--NOT compressed air. My son says different---Air or N ?

We use nitrogen, doesn't expand like air, so tire's don't grow as much after a few laps.

• johndeereelfman, Toolpartzman and larryd have said thanks

#34 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Troy, you are doing something that just about evey young boy would love to do.

Enjoy yourslef as much as possible and be safe handling those tires.

Dick

#35 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks guys for all of the well wishes and congrats. As far as the leg goes, I will be ready. I'm almost back to 100% now, so I'm sure all will be well by the end of February.

As for the Nitro question, yes, all teams use it. We inflat the tires with air, set at proper regulations as given to us by Nascar. Tires get stacked, and wait for the teams to pick them up. Most teams lay the tires out on the pavement right there at our location, and start letting the air out right away. They refill with the nitro, and start taking the needed measurements. They measure and record the diameter of each tire, temperature of each tire, and the depth of the wear plugs. Each tire has a set of plugs/holes, about an 1/8" deep that runs diagonally across the tire. These depths are recorded as soon as the tires are received, and then again after the car comes off the track. That is why you see teams on television sometimes, heating up the tire with a torch, and scraping off the track dirt. They check to see just how bad the tires wear throughout the race, and see if the tire pressure that they are running, is causing uneccessary tire wear. The tire wear can also determine if the cars chassis adjustments are set up correctly as well. Never new how important the tires really are to a race team did you? Did you know that there are two different types of tires for the car? The left side tires are a little softer ply then the right side tires, due to constantly turning left all of the time, and throwing the weight of the car primarily on the outside tires.

At the Dover track, where they run inner liners in the tires (tire inside of a tire) they only fill the outside tire with nitro, and the inside gets standard air. You can tell if the tires are filled with nitro, as the tires exploded and give off a large flame when they decide to let go. Yes the nitro helps to control the heat of the tire, but boy does it do damage to the quarter panels when the tires blow.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 23, 2013 - 05:31 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr, Toolpartzman and 1 other said thanks

#36 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I find it very interesting of all the knowledge you have gained while at the track which the normal person would never be aware.

Also it sounds as though it is a workout for you handling all those tires for they aren't light..

Dick

#37 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Each wheel, tire and rim, weigh around 80lbs each. The weight really isn't too bad during the morning hours, but let me tell you, by the end of the afternoon, you're starting to feel it in your back. Now, picture a short guy, say around 5'-1", trying to stack these tires four high. Some guys really struggle to get that top wheel up there.

It's a fun job, and you really get to meet a lot of interesting people. I really enjoy it, but just for the record, it will never take the place of my tractors! :smilewink:

• larryd said thank you

#38 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:10 PM

That is very cool,I've been a follower of NASCAR since the mid 60's and like it better every year. We have been to the Daytona 500 once and the July race twice in a pretty wide time span, 1974 July, 1981 Feb and 2003 July. It is something you can't describe, you just gotta be there! You sir, are on my envy list! Can't wait for the pics!

Oh yeah, you should talk the Goodyear exec. into doing dirt tires for the Camping World Trucks at Tony's track Eldora! That show is going to be incredible!

Later---DAC  

Edited by MFDAC, January 23, 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#39 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Troy? That storage issue in the garage? We'll have that cleared up by the time you get back.

Hey Thanks Cat, I really appreciate you lending the extra hand for the help, and for the eagerness to take care of me like that.

When you "cleared up", that means everything will still be here, right?

• larryd said thank you

#40 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Troy,

Now the next time my favorite driver has a tire go down, I have someone to blame ... :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

That is why we have to sign our initials on every tire that we mount. If there are too many tires, mounted by the same mounter, on the same team, we will be asked to leave the track, and Nascar will come in and do a thorough investigation.

But....just for the record, who is your favorite driver. You know, just in case something would happen to go wrong. (just kidding) 

• John@Reliable and larryd have said thanks

#41 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Great news! We'll all be watching the race on TV so wave to us lol , Al

Ok Al, you be watching for me. I'll be the one standing in the infield with the navy blue pants and navy blue shirt with yellow stripe, marked Goodyear. Should be easy for you guys to spot me. Better yet, I'll make a cardboard sign that says "Hi GTtalk Gang". :thumbs:

• KennyP, backwoods and larryd have said thanks

#42 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hey Thanks Cat, I really appreciate you lending the extra hand for the help, and for the eagerness to take care of me like that.

When you say "cleared up", that means everything will still be here, right?

Define 'here'.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Congrats on the honor of being chosen for this.

• johndeereelfman, larryd and have said thanks

#43 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Define 'here'.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

That's what I was afraid of. Well, look at it this way, my wife would probably lend you a hand loading!

• larryd said thank you

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:16 AM

Hey Troy! Maybe you could talk George into sending you a banner to hang up! :bigrofl:

#45 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Ok Al, you be watching for me. I'll be the one standing in the infield with the navy blue pants and navy blue shirt with yellow stripe, marked Goodyear. Should be easy for you guys to spot me. Better yet, I'll make a cardboard sign that says "Hi GTtalk Gang". :thumbs:

Just put the GTTalk banner on top of the hauler, Wait!  even better

The blimp sign to say , Hi, to all my friends at GTTalk  >>> now that would be pretty cool  :worshippy1: :bigrofl: