Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

New Baby Calves On The Coldest Day Yet !

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,748 Thanks
  • 1,393 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:19 PM

Glad to see the new ones already adjusting to the cold.

We have goats due in next 2 weeks, I figured they would all come this week since it's cold, hopefully they will do it when it's a tad bit warmer.

Yep, we have goats on the way too, should be mid Feb.

Calves and mommas doing fine, they've got the young'ens all clean and dry nursing nicely on day two. Took a couple photos today on my rounds. Coyotes have dragged away the after-births, and the herd has moved further away from the coyote valley, which is also more out of the wind. Almost 20 F today windchill around 6. Was below last night. Most of the herd formed a semi-circle around the young ones and new mommas overnight. We've seen that in the past too, they are a very protective breed.

This one has given us several calves already, she knows what to do.

This is the first time momma we were more worried about.

• daytime dave said thank you

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,657 Thanks
  • 39,028 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Good to see them feeding. Thanks!

#18 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,536 Thanks
  • 3,073 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Gotta love those tough little Highlands. I always think the calves shaggy little  feet look more like paws than hooves. Back in the day when we raised registered Charolais we calved in Jan.  Lots of intensive barn work, hot-boxes etc. and we still got the occaisional frozen ear or two. Highlands are much hardier with their wooly coats. Good luck with the rest of calving, we've moved ours back to April, along with the sheep. I figure if I'm out there checking on one corral I may as well check two, and I'm getting too old to do the midnight run in the cold.