• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 970 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm not sure which forum this belongs in so here goes If this is not in the right place feel free to move it..

Anyway a few days ago I picked up a Case 220 that had been rolled over and the Carb flanges were broken off.

Well Parts are available but pricey when The condition of the motor and tractor is unknown.. So I sit down with my thinking cap and decided to try and work with what is available in my shop.

I've worked in the Heating and Cooling industry for over 40 years and decided that Aluminum solder would hook the flanges back on. I've used it to repair aluminum refrigeration lines but never anything this heavy, I think it went well.

Attached Thumbnails

• carb1.jpg
  • carb2.jpg
  • carb3.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ouch! Yes I would say it broke off lol. Nice repair job. I look forward to see how it works out on the engine :thumbs:

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Before I went to far I would see how study the "fix" is, a lot vibration going on when the motor is running. I have a welder that will do aluminum, and even that is hit or miss on this old stuff. Might want to check out the link below if it doesn't work out. John

P.S. 25+ in HVAC here :thumbs:

http://www.carbrescue.com

• boyscout862, Bmerf and Arti have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Nice fix Arti, but I agree with John I would check out how sturdy it is.  What make and model carburetor is it?  Someone may have a body they can let you have.

• Arti said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,498 Thanks
  • 1,946 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I have a couple Kohler carb bodies laying around... may have to dig a bit.

#6 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 970 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Nice fix Arti, but I agree with John I would check out how sturdy it is.  What make and model carburetor is it?  Someone may have a body they can let you have.

On a 12hp Kohler k301s, I believe it's a #26 carburetor. If I'm not mistaken the 10 and 12 hp Kohlers use the same Carb.

If it goes well I will put it back together this week and see if it works.

#7 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 970 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Before I went to far I would see how study the "fix" is, a lot vibration going on when the motor is running. I have a welder that will do aluminum, and even that is hit or miss on this old stuff. Might want to check out the link below if it doesn't work out. John

P.S. 25+ in HVAC here :thumbs:

http://www.carbrescue.com

Thanks for the link I book marked it for future reference,

As you already know the Aluminum repair rod is stronger than the base metal If I got the carb cleaned up good enough to get a good bond then it should work.

Nice to see someone else in the HVAC trade, Sure has changed a lot in the last 20 years hasn't it ??

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,466 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm not sure which forum this belongs in so here goes If this is not in the right place feel free to move it..

Anyway a few days ago I picked up a Case 220 that had been rolled over and the Carb flanges were broken off.

Well Parts are available but pricey when The condition of the motor and tractor is unknown.. So I sit down with my thinking cap and decided to try and work with what is available in my shop.

I've worked in the Heating and Cooling industry for over 40 years and decided that Aluminum solder would hook the flanges back on. I've used it to repair aluminum refrigeration lines but never anything this heavy, I think it went well.

Nice job, when we were racing Go-karts (5HP Briggs), we would break a carb ever so often. We did the same fix you did, but I would also cross drill the flanges and press a 1/16" blank drill rod thru the flanges and carb. base. I always felt like it gave the flanges reinforcement and never had one fail. 

The reason we saved our carbs if we could was that we had a lot of time in them making them flow better and hold more fuel.

• Arti said thank you

#9 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 970 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Nice job, when we were racing Go-karts (5HP Briggs), we would break a carb ever so often. We did the same fix you did, but I would also cross drill the flanges and press a 1/16" blank drill rod thru the flanges and carb. base. I always felt like it gave the flanges reinforcement and never had one fail. 

The reason we saved our carbs if we could was that we had a lot of time in them making them flow better and hold more fuel.

That's a great idea.. I learn something on here everyday !!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#10 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 970 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Just following up on the Carb repair, It appears to be holding together. The motor starts right up it does smoke a bit at first then settles down. haven't done any work with it yet just a few laps up and down the driveway but the solder joint shows no sign of cracking so it looks like it will hold.

I ended up putting a tube in one of the front tires and straightening out the tie rod, did a basic wiring job on it to get it running. HyDrive seems to work good, So at this point life is good.!

• olcowhand, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the update.  I'll have to keep this repair in mind should I ever need it.  Glad it has worked out for ya.