30 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:22 PM

It would certainly be great to have a GTTalk crowd getting together at one location.  I'm just north of Raleigh, so Silk Hope certainly sounds do-able.   Anything from Wilmington to Charlotte would be pretty much a day trip for me.  I went to the Denton show this year, and it was truly hot and uncomfortable, but I think just because of the time of year, it probably will always tend to be that way.

A plow day would be great too.  I'm looking at the one in SC.

• sacsr said thank you

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Scott, I want to say I'm sorry for being a downer in your thread, I didn't mean to do that.

I hope you can find somewhere to have gathering, Good Luck Buddy!!

#18 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 12:44 AM

Well this is a great idea. 

Let me address some things that have been brought up already.

Plow day in the area.  In April of this year, there is one in Travelers Rest, SC.  A lot of guys from NC make it down there and its worth the trip.  There was also a plow day this past September in Midland NC, at a local pumpkin farm in conjunction with a local lawn mower club's show.  They had food vendors, swap meet area, show tractors, activities for the kids, door prizes, and the plow day happened on Fri and Sat.  It was our first show( I say our, because  im a member of the club that put it on) and it was organized very late.  With about 1 month's worth of advertising, the turnout wasnt that good, but everyone enjoyed it, and this year will be much better and bigger. 

Denton.  Ive been going there for the past 12 years, and last year was the hottest EVER.  Also the hottest summer across the nation, so it wasnt just heated in Denton.  That would be a good place to meet since its pretty centralized, and already a good established show.  Im not sure what Brian was talking about, because half the show takes place in the wooded areas.  But, its always the July 4th week, and its always hot.  Its just something we should be used to in NC, and why not take the heat in with some nice tractors.  I camp all 5 days plus usually an extra day. 

Silk Hope is a nice show, and I attend it annualy, but its not getting any larger.  You can walk through that show and see everything in no more than 2 hours. 

October is a busy tractor month.  Cotton Ginning Days in Dallas NC.  Stumptown Tractor show at Killian Farms in Denver.  and WNC Fall Harvest Days in Arden NC.  All 3 of these shows are good to go to.  Arden is def the one that takes the cake for that month though.  It has a huge swap meet area, and this past show, they were sold out of sellers spots.  Arden is 2nd on my list of favorite shows in NC.

There is a pretty good one(so ive heard) in Hickory, but ive never been able to attend that show.  Ive got some friends that come from GA for that show every year. 

I have a calendar of all the shows in the North and South Carolina area.  Also GA and some TN are on there. 

I just did a quick search and found this page advertising shows from last year, BUT, they almost always repeat themselves around the same time.  Maybe we could base some decisions around this:

http://www.chriscoma...howcalander.htm

Just my thoughts.  I look foward to meeting you guys. 

• coldone and sacsr have said thanks

#19 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Scott, I want to say I'm sorry for being a downer in your thread, I didn't mean to do that.

I hope you can find somewhere to have gathering, Good Luck Buddy!!

No big deal....but I always heard it got hotter in Texas! :-)

I am originally from South Georgia. I am used to the heat! :-) But I do find as I get older I am looking for the shade or AC when available!
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#20 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Mowinman2 great information! Hopefully I can make one or more of these other events. I agree Denton is our best bet as a central show.

I would like to make the Travelers Rest plow day, but it is almost as far a drive for me as it is for me to go to the Dover show in PA!
I want to attend them all, but dragging trailers for 6-8 hours one way is getting old! :-)

Thanks for sharing all this good info!

#21 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:08 AM

I usually make it to Denton every year good show, David has a good list there of what seems to be the most popular shows around...

David when/where is the show going to be this year in Midland?

• sacsr said thank you

#22 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Just a thought/question. Do the antique tractor guys "like us"? I realize some of us do both......but wondered if our GT's is something they would embrace and promote to help there cause??

Just seems the GT's collectors are gaining some steam, and was thinking some of these groups would want to promote/incorporate us in their mix/promotions??

If the answer is "yes" how do we promote ourselves to them??

Sorry.....I am the "planning and promoting type of guy"......if I am going to do something....it is usually at 150% not 95% :dancingbanana:

#23 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:55 AM

i have all size toys. From people ive talked to and things ive seen at shows. Its mixed  some guys dont care about GTs at all and some like them as much as the big tractors  but i do believe that GTs will not be turned down to be included in shows. so im going to go with yes.

Seeing as most shows already have GTs it wont be that hard to promote, Id say make a banner that say GTTalk ( as stated before me)  to show who we are. I was a member of the Richland county steam threshers back home and  The biggest thing is talking to main people putting on the show were ever you would plan on setting up.  I hope my little bit of insite helps.

• sacsr said thank you

#24 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Is the Silk Hope show the one near Siler City? Fairly small compared to Denton but worth the day trip.

Edited by crittersf1, January 23, 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#25 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Is the Silk Hope show the one near Siler City? Fairly small compared to Denton but worth the day trip.

Yes it is the same. I walked it last year, and will go back again this year if I have no other commitments that weekend.

Goodnews showed his tractors there last year.....will try to take some of mine if I can.

#26 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 12:59 PM

David when/where is the show going to be this year in Midland?

It was the second weekend in September last year.  2 day event on Friday and Saturday.  It was held at a pumpkin farm just outside of town on Hwy 24/27.  The Address of River Bend Farms is 12150 McManus Road Midland, North Carolina 28107

Right now there hasnt been any planning for this years show, but Ill update as soon as I hear something. 

• sacsr and Brando have said thanks

#27 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 08:22 AM

It was a pretty good show last year. Walked around all day, had a blast.

#28 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 01:25 AM

It was a pretty good show last year. Walked around all day, had a blast.

Which show are you talking about?

#29 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hey ....I have decided to take a few of my bush hogs down to Graham NC tomorrow for the Old Fashion Planters Day.

March 23 – 24 Old Fashion Planter’s Day 9252 Old Fayetteville Road, Garland, NC 28441 More information: www.oldfashionpd.org

No idea how much or many will come.....looks a little wet early then sunny in the afternoon.....figured at worst I would get a few contacts and learn about other opportunities in the area. About 75 miles from my house.....anyone close come by and visit....

Disclaimer- My oldest daughter is expecting any day/hour.....so if I get a call tonight or tomorrow....I may not be there or get to stay long.

#30 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Sounds good.  Wish i could make it.  Ive got plans in the morning to install a goose-neck hitch in the bed of my Dodge.  Please take some pictures, and good luck with the upcomming grand-baby!

• sacsr said thank you