50 replies to this topic

#46 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,192 Thanks
  • 5,790 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Was there a "correct" red for a Speedex?  I've seen them in a number of different shades. Just want it to look as right as possible.

Edited by crittersf1, February 01, 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#47 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Was there a "correct" red for a Speedex?  I've seen them in a number of different shades. Just want it to look as right as possible.

I just got my first Speedex about a year ago.  A 1942 Model B.  I started doing some research and there are some good Speedex guys around me to talk to and, word on the street is, there is no certain correct red for these tractor.  Any color for that matter.  Most of the guys I spoke with use a Massey red and Cub Cadet yellow so that's what I used on mine.  It is my understanding that the company did not consistently use the same red of yellow which actually makes a restore much easier.  I've attached a picture of mine after I got it done so you can see how the colors look together.

GEDC0238.JPG

Edited by David Brown, February 01, 2013 - 08:18 AM.

• twostep and crittersf1 have said thanks

#48 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,192 Thanks
  • 5,790 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:57 AM

That red does look better than the Farmall/IH red.

#49 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:03 PM

some say that the pond brothers bought paint as well as engines and drivetrain from ford and that may have carried over into the later speedex's as several ford colors of red are similar to the speedex colors . I am going to check with my local paint dealer and find a ford red that is close and use it on my S series resto's . want to try the new water base stuff and see if the guy's in the body shop are right about it's ease of use.

#50 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,192 Thanks
  • 5,790 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 12:28 AM

The base coat is water born and easy to spray, the clear is still solvent born and just as easy to screw up.

• Alc said thank you

#51 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 07:07 PM

HVLP and the body guys said for small jobs use light coats of clear from a rattle can like on the frame and such but for hoods they say solvent based clear in an HVLP gun and as broad a spray pattern as can be smoothly applied so some practice may be needed on my part , yes it has been some time since i had the spray gun out and i'll need practice  :smilewink: ps you have to make sure that the base is fully dried or the clear won't work right ,it will hase crase and peel , any or all three, and no one wants paint peeling

Edited by bolex, February 06, 2013 - 07:11 PM.