I needed to remove a couple hubs from their axles to send to "olcowhand'. The axle hubs were already out of the Trans., and one of our day laborers thought they needed to be out in the scrap pile, for over 2 years. I tried to press them out, even with heat, they didn't want to come apart. So I decided to drill them out in the lathe.
I first chucked them up in the 4 jaw chuck and zeroed it in with a Dial Indicator..
Then I start with a 1/4" Center Drill, to make sure I'm boring in the true center of the shaft.
I then moved up to a 5/8" X 4" long Center Drill.
Once you get past the Flutes of the Drill, you can only go .100" at a time, then back out to clear the chips. Bore the shaft until you bottom the chuck out. That just makes it past the hub.
Now it's time to go big, I use a 1" Jobber Drill to bore all the way thru the hub.
Checking to make sure I am staying in the center of the axle and not drifting out to the hub.
All done boring the axle, back to the press and still needed a little heat to get it to move, it's out now.