• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:28 PM

I bought a JD317 last summer and the seat was solid but full of grey overspray. Little dots of paint all over it. I'm not sure what this paint was, perhaps a primer, but it did not want to come off with a simple wash. This winter I have been going at the 317 restoration one piece at a time and decided to tackle the seat. I tried lots of mild cleaners but nothing seemed to even loosen it. I tried scraping each little dot off with a box cutter blade and that worked but was super slow and scratched the seat. 

Heres some pics of what it looked like.

DSCF8407.jpg  DSCF8408.jpg

DSCF8409.jpg  DSCF8415.jpg

I didn't want to use anything like acetone as I knew that would melt the seat. I tried paint thinner and car upholstery cleaner but nothing really helped. I thought I'd try abrading it off with rubbing compound. That seemed to help but was very slow. OK, GoJo  hand cleaner. That seemed a bit faster so I got a random orbit sander, put a micro fibre cloth over the base and started "rubbing out" the seat using lots of hand cleaner. It worked and took about an hour or so to clean 99% of the paint off the seat. There are still a few specks here and there but overall this technique worked well. It dulled the surface a bit but I can probably polish it back to a better gloss if I want. It looks much better now and I am impressed at the quality of these seats. I'm not sure it is the original, but it's a JD seat and I really wanted to save it if I could.

Results

DSCF8413.jpg  DSCF8414.jpg

DSCF8416.jpg  DSCF8419.jpg

• mjodrey, Texas Deere and Horse, tex tractor jack and 8 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:37 PM

You did an outstanding job on the seat, just some good ol time usually works as you well foud out. I was going to suggest  mineral spiriits, don't want to get it to shinny and smooth, remember you have to sit on that seat and if it was to slick you could slid right off the tractor.

Dick

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Lookin good from here, would be a shame to make it worse with a harsh chemical. Keep up the good work! :thumbs:

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:45 PM

I tried paint thinner which is pretty much the same as mineral spirits. It really didn't help much. 

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:48 PM

JD., That seat turned out great. Like said above, you will shine that cushion up real quick by using the 317.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure it is the original, but it's a JD seat and I really wanted to save it if I could.

I don't remember when the cushion change came, but I think all the 314-317's came with the older cushion like the 110-140 had on them. This is the correct replacement cushion for your 317 and it looks GREAT!! :thumbs:

Very Nice Job saving it. :worshippy1:

• JDBrian said thank you

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Nice job,Brian.

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Great job Brian! The only other thing I have used is Bonami and elbow grease.

• JDBrian said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't remember when the cushion change came, but I think all the 314-317's came with the older cushion like the 110-140 had on them. This is the correct replacement cushion for your 317 and it looks GREAT!! :thumbs:

Very Nice Job saving it. :worshippy1:

Thanks for the info on the seats Brian. I'm not that familiar with how they would have looked originally. Most that you see up here have had new seats at some point. My 314 has one of those big generic yellow seats on it. The vinyl on this JD seat appears to be very thick and coloured all the way through. 

Great job Brian! The only other thing I have used is Bonami and elbow grease.

Chris, that's pretty much what I did only I used the sander to cut down on the elbow grease component.

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the info on the seats Brian. I'm not that familiar with how they would have looked originally. Most that you see up here have had new seats at some point. My 314 has one of those big generic yellow seats on it. The vinyl on this JD seat appears to be very thick and coloured all the way through. 

Chris, that's pretty much what I did only I used the sander to cut down on the elbow grease component.

That was a great idea!  I had a Boss that always said " Work smarter not harder" 'cause I would lift heavy things instead of taking the time to get a Fork truck lol. I would counter with " Time is money" :D

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Nice job Brian.  The seat looks great! 

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Well done Brian, seat looks as good as new. As for it being original to the tractor, I say it is. It is the same seat that came on the 200 series, and since the 317 was released after the 200 series, I'd say you re good to go for being original. The later 300 series had almost the same seat type, but the cushion areas were much deaper.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Carb cleaner spray would get it off.  I've never known it to harm vinyl, at least it never has for me, and I've used it on seats myself.  But you have that seat looking good!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Carb cleaner spray would get it off.  I've never known it to harm vinyl, at least it never has for me, and I've used it on seats myself.  But you have that seat looking good!

Carb Cleaner. I never thought of using that. I didn't want to go too harsh and damage it. I'll keep that in mind. I have to get the paint off of the piping or whatever you call that piece that holds the seat cover to the base. The carb cleaner might be useful there. 

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thats a great brian tip brian thanks.