#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Is it just me or does everyone have problems with improperly marked products-or some not marked at all? It absolutely gets my hackles up to bring home something to find out it was NOT as expected. :mad2:

I just bought a very nice gun case for my 41" long Marlin, which was marked 42"-sewn-in plus another label marked 42". 2inches of the barrel sticks out of the !@##@$ case. Now I learn that this 42 was OUTSIDE dimensions--?? What the %^^&*^% good is the OUTSIDE dimension?

Can't anyone label stuff correctly anymore? Who else has a complaint?

• mjodrey, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 09:48 AM

No they can't because it is all made across the ocean in another country.

Dick

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Wish my ex-wife came with a label that said she WILL turn out to be just like her mother in every way. Would have saved me a bunch of money and headaches. Live and learn I guess.

Seriously though, I buy literally thousands of equipment parts every year and my biggest gripe is when someone puts the wrong part, that looks similar to the correct part, in a bag with the correct part number in the shipment. I schedule the repair and get a lift or bay tied up and tear the machine down only to find out someone screwed up in the warehouse. Several very high volume shops here and timing is very important to keep the bosses happy and limit overtime. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Seems its out of control-Sure we can return the product--but who pays for that hassle? gas, time etc.? In my "case" the MFR could have just as easily laid a tape on the INSIDE-are manufacturers simply betting we'll keep it or junk it instead of returning something?

I fired off a love-note to the "importer" of my gun case this AM and it won't make his day, but I'll see what he has to say.

Edited by Toolpartzman, January 22, 2013 - 10:13 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Probably a communication problem. We have 1 country making labels while the other country makes the stuff!  L.O.L.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:15 AM

I guess your supposed to carry a measuring device along to see if things will work. What I hate is the dimensions in mm and nothing along to convert it to good old inches.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:57 AM

I guess your supposed to carry a measuring device along to see if things will work. What I hate is the dimensions in mm and nothing along to convert it to good old inches.

1" = 25.4mm   I carry that in my head and it comes in handy many times.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:00 AM

One of the reasons that I'm unemployed for 19 months now is that I believe in quality control. That means that the producer is responsible for his product. Proper quality control takes time and money. Nobody seems to want to do this. It is the first corner that is cut for money saving. As a professional engineer I'm liable and morally responsible for my designs. I want another engineer to carefully check my work but employers don't want to take the time.

The thing is that the crappy products cost the company and the customer time and money later. The bean counters take that money from a different account. They don't realize that doing it right to start will save everyone time and money.

• Alc, JDBrian, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:39 PM

One of the reasons that I'm unemployed for 19 months now is that I believe in quality control. That means that the producer is responsible for his product. Proper quality control takes time and money. Nobody seems to want to do this. It is the first corner that is cut for money saving. As a professional engineer I'm liable and morally responsible for my designs. I want another engineer to carefully check my work but employers don't want to take the time.

The thing is that the crappy products cost the company and the customer time and money later. The bean counters take that money from a different account. They don't realize that doing it right to start will save everyone time and money.

Sorry to hear you've been out of work. I hope you find work soon now that the economy is finally showing signs of growth. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Boy, that metric conversion thing is a real pain, gotta love gov't. "wisdom" on that one. Ditto celcius vs. farenheight. A guy could freeze to death over that one.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:58 PM

JDBrian thanks but I am now planning to just start Social Security later this year. I probably won't find work and that may be for my best. The liability has gotten way too scary. I'm tired of arguing with idiots who do not care about hurting people through negligence. I take things way too seriously. It still bothers me that I've had 3 accidents on my jobs in forty years. The men were not injured seriously. The worst was a broken ankle from a fall. The other 2 were cuts with stitches. Fortunately, Army engineers mend fast.

#12 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Probably a communication problem. We have 1 country making labels while the other country makes the stuff!  L.O.L.

The communication problem is that the US country Proudly displays the product, while the mfg country is only found in fine print with NO obvious phone number.  I communicated the situation to the company who pays for the manufacturing, and while its been about a day without reply, perhaps he's still fuming.

• boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#13 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Sorry, about your employment situation and I agree completely with you. I've done engineering work all my life and when I have a question about something, I want a straight, no BS answer from someone, but first you have to find someone-not possible anymore." I'm not sure." " I don't think so." is all the answer I need to look elsewhere.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I was shopping for a acoustic guitar last year and frankly, the music stores in this area aren't the best.  I found the one that I wanted at a major online merchant, on sale and free shipping too.  I couldn't figure out which hard shell case would protect it so I called them.  They couldn't help me either.  I asked them if they could just try different cases and advise which one would work.  They told me no because they would have to open up the guitar from the box and then they could no longer sell it as a new guitar.  I said, "Are you serious?  Does this mean that the guitar comes from China and the set up isn't even checked by a tech?"   I guess I don't need to say that they lost a sale, well 2 sales, that day.  Also future sales that they may have had with me.

• Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have a similar beef: Price tags, or more specifically, the lack thereof.  If a store can't bother to stick a price tag on or near an item, I just assume it is "for display purposes only" and not for sale.  I've walked out of many stores empty handed after finding exactly what I wanted.  There will always be another store on another day.

• Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks