#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hello,

I need a few parts to finish up my Clinton 900 3104 engine project before it finds a new home.  For those who are interested in strange engine stories, it came off a Merry Tiller somewhere along the way, and was parked after being buried in clay.  There was clay all over and through the thing.  To make it worse, the owner pulled the spark plug and left it in a shed.  Thankfully the piston was at TDC.  

I cleaned it off, cleaned everything out, and started it this morning.  

The strangest thing was that it is running with the original Clinton condenser and points.  Yes, I said condenser!  Even after being buried, the original condenser still fires it.  I was impressed, to say the least.

All that being said, I am in need of a few pieces to finish the project.  

1. Governor springs.  It seems the pre-IBM part numbers are 7979 and a 4001.  I need the spring at the carburetor linkage (balance spring) and the one (I suppose) on the governor arm.  

2. Starter pawls and springs.  Some character a long time ago must have lost the starter pawls, I guess while checking the Clinton for damage after the "Great Burial."  Or they were borrowed for use on another engine.  I don't have part numbers, but on an illustration I will try to upload, they are a #4.  The springs I need for the pawls are #3.  

If someone can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.  Thank you in advance!

Ben W. in VA

clintonstarter.jpg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:05 PM

It's amazing how an engine can be brought back from a total wreck and run fine again. Those film type condensers can last virtually forever if not physically damaged or exposed to an over voltage condition. 

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:44 PM

In case anyone finds this thread in later years hunting Clinton parts, hop over to Jim Freshman at http://www.aircooledengpts.com/

Jim has a pile of Clinton parts and the knowledge to support them!  He was able to get everything I needed (including those obsolete starter parts) and added the bonus of being very reasonable in his prices.

I am not related in any way to Jim, so this is not a self plug.  Send him an email here: http://www.aircooled...s/view.php?id=1

Best wishes to you in your Clinton restoration!
Ben W. in VA
OldPathsEquipment.com