• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I just noticed tonight overlooking my 1050 bolens and it doesn't look like it has a lot of clutch pad left. Is there any way you can buy a new clutch or any clutch parts for these tractors? I was gonna put a new clutch and bearings all up in there just so I wouldn't have too worry about it and I would know what I got, I appreciate being apart of the group! Thanks again

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:56 PM

They are still readily available,

One of our site sponsors may have some NOS ones in stock so you may want to check with them. From time to time you can find them on ebay as well. I think someone has aftermarket ones as well.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Welcome GTT. You've got a very good tractor. It was very popular so new and old parts are available. You can download the service manual for free. It will give the standards for disc thickness. If you have to replace the discs, do the needle bearings and the belts while you have it apart. Good Luck

#4 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:28 AM

I just replaced the clutch lining on my sons 1000, got the parts from " Tube frame Restorations". Real easy to do, the linings have to be baked on so i picked up a used toaster oven for $10 off Craigslist (didn't want the fumes in the house).
  • boyscout862, MailmAn and Justin2655 have said thanks

#5 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 02:45 PM

How does the baking process go? I seen the parts but I've never done something like that, how long do you let it bake in there and how high?

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 02:57 PM

How does the baking process go? I seen the parts but I've never done something like that, how long do you let it bake in there and how high?

Instructions generally come with the friction discs when you buy them.

Here's a few posts talking about the process a few months ago....

mark843

For the clutch, is replacing the friction material as easy as taking a wire wheel to the old stuff, cleaning up the surface, putting the new friction material on, clamp it all together and throwing it into the oven? From what I have read, that seems to be the case.

Bruce Dorsi

Posted July 17, 2011 - 02:49 PM

mark843 said:

For the clutch, is replacing the friction material as easy as taking a wire wheel to the old stuff, cleaning up the surface, putting the new friction material on, clamp it all together and throwing it into the oven?

Yes. ....The instructions for time & temperature were packaged with the clutch discs, but I don't know if that is still true.

I think the temp was 450 degrees for 90 minutes, but I would not bet on that. .....Hopefully, someone else will know and post the correct info.

We would use a long bolt with nut to clamp the two flanges to the belt pulley. .....Make sure the adhesive sides of the clutch discs face the pulley, not the flanges.

When you remove that mass of metal from the oven, it will remain HOT for quite a while, so be careful. ....Do not quench it with water to cool it off quickly.

Bolens 1000

ditto.gif

The time and temperatures that were needed to bake the discs varied by the style of adhesive used. Bolens used a few different style adhesives over the years and they each had different temperature specifications.

I'm pretty sure where ever you get the discs, they will come with instructions

• EricFromPa, MailmAn and Justin2655 have said thanks