• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:16 PM

It's working its way south to here. There is a chance the storm coming from up from southern OH will mesh with the one in Erie and make a bigger mess. So far it's just a normal winter storm. Oh the joys of winter :D That's a rough road this time of year FL, be careful & watch out for the idiots.

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:11 AM

yea only I have years of experience in snow and I will say this: people need to remember 4wd isn't for driving!! It's to get you in/out of stuck places.  It's 10x harder to pull out of a skid, slide, etc while in 4wd.

There is no way you would think that if you drove the roads up here.. Some don't get plowed for weeks..  You NEED to drive in 4wd.  When my dually slides sideways due to a ridge in the road if i am in 2wd i would be stuck in a heart beat.  

Edited by Team_Green, January 22, 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#18 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:31 AM

There is no way you would think that if you drove the roads up here.. Some don't get plowed for weeks..  You NEED to drive in 4wd.  When my dually slides sideways due to a ridge in the road if i am in 2wd i would be stuck in a heart beat.  

well duals are horrible for snow regardless wether its in a pickup or heavy truck because the snow packs between them. Many people think it makes it better for traction and having many it does not.  I meant on general conditions 4wd is NOT intended for driving like how most think they can put vehicle in 4wd and do 50+ right down the highway.  I do agree that it is required to drive some in some areas.

#19 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:34 AM

FL, Are you independent or who do you pull for? Do you pulls doubles?

Armored transport straight truck (10 wheeler).  I pretty much run Gold, Silver, precious metals etc from place to place.  Our truck weighs 36k empty and gains alot more weight quickly.  I'm usually always the driver but not yesterday.  I will be today and I'm alot more used to hauling in this stuff than the guy I was with yesterday.  He did a really good job tho and we're both safe so I won't complain.

• MH81, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#20 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 05:46 PM

What are those armoured trucks like to drive, Farmlife?  They always look unwieldy to me, like they'd be a handful even on dry pavement.  Mind you, I seem to be a natural born flat-bedder, so I think anything with sides and a roof is a little odd.

#21 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Not bad at all. They fly. Im so used to it i drive em faster than my pickup...bends in the road rated for 45mph im usually roundin em bout60-65....all depends. They literally go thru anything. I can control the tire pressure from the dashboard so if it doesn't feel right i can adjust. Nice havin an onboard compessor. Ther are multiple GPS locators tho so i sometimes get a phone call bout the rate of speed im at...lol. Long as the shotguns, valuables, etc dont go flyin...i drive as fast as I can to get where i need to go.
  • KennyP said thank you

#22 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Sounds pretty high tech.  I use my ice scraper to adjust my mirror...no options on my truck.  Of course nobody can track me with GPS.