#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:30 PM

There is just a good feeling when you have a tractor. Whether it's a lawn tractor, garden tractor, walk behind, or even a farm tractor. Knowing that you are accomplishing something with it, just gives you a sense of pride. The smell of that fresh cut grass while mowing, makes it worth all the sweat you gave in the hot sun, while with your tractor, making your lawn look as good as it can be. Watching the furrows as you're turning new ground in the field while plowing, gives you enjoyment, as you listen to your tractor motor sing and listen to it working hard. Cleaning the driveway of snow so that you can come and go easily without injury or incident. Even though the weather may be cold, you soon don't mind it because it's just you, the snow and your tractor. Getting rid of the weeds while rototilling the garden isn't such a chore, because you know you will be harvesting the crops soon, that you planted for you and your family. Most people think we are nuts, and just think we are foolish for having such a passionate desire to spend time with our tractors. Well, so be it.

The other thing I like about having a tractor, is you can take the time to get caught up with the everyday circumstances that life throws at us, and be able to come up with solutions. I find that while working with my tractor, I can easily clear my mind, be relaxed, and be able to think about stuff that I wouldn't normally think about. I don't know if it's because it's just me and my tractor alone, or the calmness of the engine running, or due to the relaxation you get just from washing and waxing the tractor, but it's just a good feeling. The joy of ownership isn't taking away the love for my wife or family, but I believe it actually helps our relationships. The kids and I spend more time together than ever before, and my patience with them has grown. If I have a bad day at work, I work on the tractor, which gives off relaxation, and then the wife and I can talk about our day without me blowing off over something stupid. I know most of our wives aren't real crazy about our addiction, but if they only knew just how much of a man, a tractor makes us, I think a lot of women would be more considerate to our hobby.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I am a little strange. Either way, I don't care. I just know that without my tractor, I'd be an all together different man, probably hot-headed, and probably wouldn't have the patience I do now.

Can anybody else relate to where I'm coming from, or is it just me?

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 21, 2013 - 07:03 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, broken2 and 31 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well said Troy, Couldn't agree with you more

Mowing, plowing , tilling and other various tasks are not a chore but just another chance to get to use your tractor. There's just something about using a vintage piece of equipment that gives you a sense of pride and happiness when using it. Especially if you have a family history tied to the machine or you have spent hours, days & years bringing it back to life.

Others may think we're crazy but I could care less! :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman, Delmar and 4 others have said thanks

#3 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Right there with ya Troy :rolling: 

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and Cvans have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Though I am not as eloquent with words as you, I know the feeling. I enjoy the feeling of working on the tractors or working with them. Learning what I can accomplish with them is always a thrill.

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Amen, thou art blessed with the  'wordage'. Thanks for sharing the gift.

• johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:59 PM

OK, good rant!  My feelings too, just you say it better!   I want to print out your posting and show Mama!   How can I print just one post w/out all the others right behind it?  I don't see any thing on site to do that. I'm kinda puter dummy, so go easy on me if it is simple and wonder why I don't know how!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:08 PM

GL, copy his post and paste it into a Word document. Then you can print from there. Or if the need arises, I can do it and repost it.

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Was a farmer for awhile.. Nothing beats the smell of fresh tilled soil or fresh mowed hay,,

• Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Just highlight the post, copy & past into a word document, save it, print it!

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Well said, Troy.

I think my favourite part of having a tractor is thinking how much work this all used to be before I had a tractor.  

#11 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 08:21 PM

I find myself thinking about my tractors all the time. When I'm driving my eye is ALWAYS on the look out for that stray bit of tractor that would indicate there's a diamond in the rough. I look for any reason to bop out into the garage just to tinkering....even if it's only for 5 minutes. Thanks for posting Troy.

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and twostep have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yes! Well said Troy!  It does make a lot of boring chores into fun seat time. It is relaxing and reduces stress to use the tractors and also to work on them. I have a compact tractors but somehow the GT's are more fun to use. 

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Very well said Troy. I know I use my shop/seat time to clear my head. A lot of times I come up with a whole new perspective on how to solve the issue.

Thank you for sharing!!

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I figured I wasn't the only one feeling this way, but just needed the confirmation from the gang. :thumbs:  I've worked on cars, and I've done a lot of wood working, but there is just something about the tractor that brings everything to perspective. Obsession? I say no. I put a list together of all the things I get out of my tractors:

1.Relaxation - no presure, no schedule or time limit, no rules to follow.

2.Enjoyment - able to make an antique look good again, working with my abilities.

3.Pride - gratefull for the end product, and happy with my accomplishment.

4.Patience - not needing to rush, taking my time, and not getting upset if I have to do it again.

5.Satisfaction - being happy that I did my best.

6.Self-Gratitude - did everything myself, and learned everything I could along the way.

7.Unselfishness - willing to share with others what I find, and did not boast.

8.Love - spending time with the kids and showing them what I know, in hopes of being a good role model. Making memories.

9.Respect - understanding the tractor and it's limits, value the opinion of others on my work.

10.Understanding - accepting that mistakes will happen, and finding a way of fixing them.

11.Friendship - meeting and helping new peolpe with the same interest with me.

12.Considerate - realizing that there are collectors that have much nicer tractors then mine, and not holding a grudge.

13.Passionate - liking each brand of manufacturer even though they may not be my favorite. Caring about the finish and originallity.

14.Perfection - making my tractor the best it can be, and as good as it was the day it was bought new.

15.Grateful - that I have the talent and ability to do what I do.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I am a little strange.  

You being a bit strange is a separate issue from the tractors Troy!   :poke:  .........  :smilewink:  You know I'm just ribbin ya! 

But I can't agree with you more in all you said.  In some people's books, all us GT guys are strange, but like you....I don't care!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks