Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Since I bought the Ferguson last spring I been wanting a 3pt finish mower to put on it.  Saturday I got my chance!  Found this at an estate auction less than an hours drive from here.  The sale also had a beautiful 455 Deere diesel on 26-12-12 ag lugs - stackable wheel weights and a 60 inch deck but the son said his dad didn't like it as well and always used this mower behind his Fiat built 1250 Oliver.  They must have had other places to mow as the location of the sale was not really large enough to justify such big mowers. 

I intended to hook up the mower today and run it to see if the bearings were good and quiet but with my overriding clutch the PTO shaft is too long.  Didn't know that until I already had the 3pt attached.  With it only 20 degrees outside I had lost all feeling in my fingers and the Model TT is taking up most of the warm shop, I decided I'd just wait for warmer weather to check the condition of the bearings.  Got the owners manual too and it lists Federal Mogal bearing numbers that would be available locally [cheap] so no big deal if they growl some.  Blades spin easily. It is a 6 foot cut.

Been telling the MRS. this is her mowing setup and with me on the Super C with a 6 foot Woods belly mower we could be done mowing in under two hours. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG

• daytime dave, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Good looking mower Kris, nice purchase.

What did the 455 sell for?

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Nice looking mower. Sounds like it's a bit chilly to mow right now anyway!

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 04:03 PM

What did the 455 sell for?

Higher than a wood peckers hole!

$3850  It was near mint  - however the deck bearings were very noisey.  Thats why I wondered about my bearings.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 04:24 PM

You must  be mowing a big property if it takes 2hrs for 2 large mowers to get it done. 3850 doesn't sound too bad for a 455 in mint shape. 

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I mow about 7 acres.  The Super C takes 3 and a half hours but I don't figure this rear mount will be nearly as efficient in ground speed or turnaround. 

Here is a poor pic of the 455 - they did some cleaning on it after this pic was taken. 

http://auctions.nort...to.php?i=107063

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Kris glad you got what you have been wanting,  Looks good hope it runs just as well.  

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wow! Now THAT's a sun shade!  That a Deere accesory?  I'ld have it ripped off in first mow under my trees! 

Question: Figure you had MM"s with that G in Avatar.  So, don't have any smaller Molines, say a BF or V or even an R to mow heavier stuff with?  Sell ya my BG with three point, but it hasn't a pto at moment.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Here is a poor pic of the 455 - they did some cleaning on it after this pic was taken. 

That's weird. I see no advantage to having an upside down 455 above a duck boat.

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 08:58 PM

That shade "thing" was a real mess.  It wasn't mounted on the mower when it sold but was included.  It had no angled brackets to keep it from swaying in the breeze.  Plus I bet the noise of the engine and deck bouncing off the shade made the machine so loud you wouldn't want it on there.

Grumpy,    the Moline in the avatar is a '49 UTS.  It belonged to a very good friend of mine.  On August 3rd 2004 he died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack.  He had just finished restoring this tractor.  Since that time, I take care of this tractor and the 5 others he restored as his widow is unable to do so.  She used to drive one of the smaller ones at the parade of power at the local tractor show but she is approaching 80 now and has real trouble just getting up on them.  I don't own any MMs.  I don't charge her for my time of keeping them running but she pays for parts.  Repairs are mostly just a battery or two every year and once in a while a gallon of antifreeze. I told her I would maintain the tractors as long as I was able.  

The other tractors are:

'49 GTB   His favorite - its bone stock but he won a bunch of trophys pulling it over many years

'40 UTS

'41 RTU

'51 UTU

'49 ZAU

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:59 AM

Kris,that's a pretty nice looking mower.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Nice Mower! My ford came with a 5 ft Brush mower. But since I have been mowing my place with the Gt's I would prefer a finish mower. Just have not found one at a price I'm willing to pay yet.

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Congratulations on the mower.  It looks pretty decent.

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Been using the mower for a while now and it was so loud I couldn't stand to sit on the tractor.  Bearings definately needed some attention.  I took the belt off once I found it had issues and only found one spindle with side to side play.  Mowed a couple of times like that but it was getting worse quick so knew I had to tear into it   Last week I got the entire place trimmed up and could be without the mower for a while so it was time.  Stood the deck on end with the boom pole on the tractor and removed the spindle in question.  The top bearing was of course shot but the bottom one was still tight and looked good.  It appears the top bearing was defective.  This mower is tight and not worn out by any means.  The grease did not appear to have any shrapnel but several of the balls were gone from the top bearing.  Put in two new bearings and seals, sharpened all 3 blades and scraped out the buildup of grass while it was turned up and I had access.  Didn't tear into the other spindles as they didn't have any side to side slack.

That was the only bearing with an issue!  :dancingbanana:  

The mower is now quiet and the more I use it the better I like it.  It does a pretty decent job of cutting and doesn't scalp going over humps like the Woods mower.  It also cuts heavier grass than the Woods.  I can mow in 3rd gear at a fast idle and it cuts great.  With the tractor idled down it is much quieter and saves gas too.  

The manual that came with it shows tapered roller bearings but the mower has ball bearings. 

Gave $400 for the mower and about $25 for the bearing repair. 

I am one happy camper!!!!

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:59 AM

...  I can mow in 3rd gear at a fast idle and it cuts great.  With the tractor idled down it is much quieter and saves gas too. ...

I mean this in the best possible way, but that is the worst thing you can do to your tractor.

PTO driven implements are designed to run at the rated PTO speed. That's usually at, or very near to, full throttle on the tractor.

Running a PTO driven implement at a low throttle/high gear setting is putting a lot of 'lugging' load on the engine, and it will in time, oval out the cylinders requiring a re-build.

Also your mower blades are not running at the proper (higher) RPM, and you are not getting the quality  of cut that it can give you.  As it is, your mower is 'beating the grass into submission' and not really cutting it cleanly as it would at the higher blade speed.

A good friend of mine 'wore out' the engine in a JD 750 (Yanmar build sub-compact) is less than 1000 hrs. doing just what you are.

I tried to tell him what he was doing, but he wouldn't believe me until after a $3,000.00+ re-build, and a lecture from the mechanic.

Do your tractor a favor and 'open it up'.  Any 'gas savings' you are getting now aren't going to be enough to pay for an early engine re-build

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 27, 2013 - 12:03 PM.