powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Wife bought garden seeds this weekend, we don't have a real big one but do like some fresh veggies. Cold and snow on the ground but it is nice to think spring, fresh turned earth and the promise of new growth. Have others bought/ordered their seed supply yet?
  • tractorgarden, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 12:22 PM

No, but we've started a list ! Does that count? :D

#3 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm still looking at catalogs.  I'll probably order next month.

#4 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Lists count and searching the catalogs counts too!!  It is all part of thinking spring is coming!!

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Oh yeah, we planted some stuff late last fall-- check out a thread Melissa started in Nov. in the gardening section, that's Olde Deere #1 on the J.D. STX 38 blowing snow off the garden. We don't start seeds in the house much before April because they get too tall and weak before they can go outside. Can't really count on a frost-free date untill late May up here, but that doesn't keep us from hoping! In summer the sun doesn't set 'till 10.30p.m. and rises around4.30 a.m. so we still get plenty of growing time--- have had watermelons up to 15 pounds some years, and always have cantelope, fresh and juicy, to munch on right out there in the garden. We get most of our. seeds from Veseys and Stokes, and have had great luck with carrots called Bolero-- they keep all winter in the storage fridge, well into late summer. I get " farmer's fever" just thinking about the garden.

• powerking56, JDBrian, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I've been scanning the only catalog that I've got so far. I also picked up my little tiny greenhouse this past weekend. I hope to get more manure this week too.

I noticed yesterday that my folks already have some flowers breaking ground. I'm fired up for spring!!

• jim knutson said thank you

#7 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 01:50 PM

i have 1/2 of my stock purchased....mostly hot peppers! :firejumper: :D  cant wait till it warms up, the daylight is finally getting longer again :thumbs:

• twostep said thank you

#8 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Need to get started on my seeds. I always try to plant sweet corn first week in april. We can plant early peas and carrots in mid feburary.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 04:18 PM

In summer the sun doesn't set 'till 10.30p.m. and rises around4.30 a.m. so we still get plenty of growing time--- have had watermelons up to 15 pounds some years, and always have cantelope, fresh and juicy, to munch on right out there in the garden. We get most of our. seeds from Veseys and Stokes, and have had great luck with carrots called Bolero-- they keep all winter in the storage fridge, well into late summer. I get " farmer's fever" just thinking about the garden.

We get ours from Veseys as well. What do you grow for water mellon and Cantelope? We've been trying to do melons without much luck for a couple of years now. 

#10 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 04:41 PM

We ( my sister and I ) purchased our nonhybrid seeds last fall from a grower in Oregon . I have the stakes set for the new greenhouse location . It will be next years project . I do have a coldframe ( small greenhouse located low on the ground ) as they call it here in central S.E. Pennsylvania . I have fresh lettuce, spinach all winter . The glass top is slanted towards the south . It gets just enough sun and is kept closed thereby retaining heat that's gathered during the day, preventing freezing at night  . The four sides are made from 2 x 12's and the top is an old picture window with a wood frame . About 4 1/2 feet on each side and 18 " tall on the north side and 12" tall on the south side .

Like the rest of you guys, we can't wait to get the gardens tilled and planted . My garden is for vegetables and my sister's is a medicinal herb garden . 

I also have winter wheat planted in the front yard and can't wait until it starts growing in the spring and the township questions what it is ! Some people enjoy roses , I enjoy wheat ! 

mike912e

• Alc said thank you

#11 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:14 PM

We have gotten most all of our seeds delivered, just waiting on one more delivery.

Should be planting the "cold" garden crops at the end of Feb or mid march.

#12 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:20 PM

We picked up some at Menard's Saturday, will place an order with Jung's as soon as the wife decides what she wants!  ~~  Lowell

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'll wait until May.  I could order through catalogues, I guess, but I like to buy heritage stuff from local suppliers and they all shut down for the winter.  I've been making a list though.  It keeps getting longer.  And longer.

• jim knutson said thank you

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:33 PM

For watermelons, we have good luck with Vista; earliest cantelope are usually Early Alaska and Fastbreak, but for something really nice, try Passport, a type of honeydew. It matures a pale greenish white with the sweetest, juiciest green flesh. Ours get to about 3 lbs. and are a real treat.We always try something different every year--- 2012 was sweet poatoes ! They took care, and cost about five times as much than if we had just gone to the store and bought them, but tasted great, and hey, we grew sweet potatoes!!!! Wonder what we should try this year, any ideas?

• Alc, Reverend Blair and JDBrian have said thanks

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm going to try those Passports, I think.  What works best?  Raised bed, full sun?