#61 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:14 AM

That's a different design than I've seen up here for sure..  Looks nice!  Are you running the power lines overhead?  (I didn't see any conduit in the floor is all..)  Enjoy it!

• HDWildBill and larryd have said thanks

#62 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Originally I was going to put a service panel in and put a plug on the out side for a 15000K generator to plug into.  But when I figured up the cost of gas that idea kind of went out the window.  There is a bldg to the left about 50' that has a service panel in it that I'm thinking about pulling pwr from there.  The bldg is just being used for storage now so there is no real pwr requirements except to for lights.  

I'm doing this on a shoe string budget so the interior is up to me to do and that includes the electrical. I haven't decided to run the line underground or in the air. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, WNYTractorTinkerer and larryd have said thanks

#63 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Bill, That is a great looking shop. I do have a question, I understand them starting at the top and working to the ground. My question is, did they leave the bottom of each sheet loose until they put the next sheet down on to give the overlap from top to bottom sheet? I know you are very excited to get into that building and I am very happy (& Envious) for you !! :thumbs:

#64 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:45 AM

I missed the last several posts here.....man, up already!  Are you going to add insulation....more to keep the heat out than the cold???

#65 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:49 AM

That's a different design than I've seen up here for sure..  Looks nice!  Are you running the power lines overhead?  (I didn't see any conduit in the floor is all..)  Enjoy it!

Down in Georgia, the sheets running horizontal will work as there is little to no snow.  They build them that way here too, but I wouldn't want it that way up here.  We've been known to have 20+" snowfalls on rare occasions.

#66 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Brian there were 4 of them working on the shop they started at the top with a sheet splitting the peak and then came down sliding the next sheet under the last and then running screw into both sheets.  Did I answer your question?  Tomorrow it is supposed to rain most of the day so I plan to go out and check for leaks.

Daniel I'm going to use the foam insulation board 4x8 sheet's.  I'm thinking about using double sided tape to hold them into place.  Your are correct in that running the sheet sideways doesn't present much of a problem for us.  The biggest issue is the leaves in the fall but They usually don't stay long.  The difference in the price by running them horizontal was about $900 - 1000 difference.

• Texas Deere and Horse, WNYTractorTinkerer and larryd have said thanks

#67 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:31 PM

I doubt the tape will last long, as the foam dries on it's surface after a while & will slough off.  I'd recommend using 1 x 4 planking screwing it into the uprights.  You can rip the 1 x 4 into two 1 x 2's making it a little cheaper.  8' is a long run, and the board could warp, but you can always run extra screws though the metal from the outside, securing the board from warping.  On the wall part, these boards could help secure shelves, peg board, or simple nails for hanging things.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and larryd have said thanks

#68 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:37 PM

I agree that the tape wont last long. Some furring strips to hold it in would be good if you plan to put any kind of paneling or peg board up. If not some short pieces of wire around the legs of the building and overlapping the sides of the insulation would work. If you don't insulate and it gets cold and you try to heat it the condensation will cause it to rain in there. It is never good when it rains inside.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#69 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:40 PM

If you don't insulate and it gets cold and you try to heat it the condensation will cause it to rain in there. It is never good when it rains inside.

Even without heat, the metal will sweat in certain conditions.  It really rains from under our milk parlor holding pen when the cow's breath condenses, then comes down like rain.

• UncleWillie and larryd have said thanks

#70 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Even without heat, the metal will sweat in certain conditions.  It really rains from under our milk parlor holding pen when the cow's breath condenses, then comes down like rain.

That floor isn't engineered to hold cows!!! :D

I don't know what spray foaming costs down there, but it might be worth looking into.

Acts as a structural component, vapour barrier, and much more efficient.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#71 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'd LOVE to have a few LARGE bottles of that spray foam & the applicator!  Watching Holmes on Homes, I love watching them spray that stuff!

NO sweating metal with that stuff, and bonds perfectly to any clean surface.

• HDWildBill, twostep and larryd have said thanks

#72 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 06:22 PM

I do plan to use peg board but not all the way around. Mainly around the work bench and one board on the far wall to hold Items i don't use a lot and the tools for the tire changer.  I plan to pour a small pad out side and mount the tire changer to it.  

I was a bit worried about the tape thing, one of the guys that was working on the shop said he has seen folk use the foam board and use contact adhesive to put them up.  Not sure I want to do that.  Using the furring strips is probably the best idea the stantion's are about 2"  thick so the will still be some room when I put he peg board up.

I like the idea of the spray one foam, that would save some work and it would be probably the best way to go.  I'll just need to check on the cost.  Do you know if Home depot has a diy available?

• larryd said thank you

#73 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 02:13 AM

I had a heck of a time building up wood walls along the shops exterior..  I notched out a lot of boards to hang them up..  **Yesss..  It comes back to me how much fun that was doing that over & over & over & over!!   :wallbanging:

Once I did I installed insulation and a 6 mil vapor barrier and CDX.  That thing is tight and stays cool most of the summer until the floor heats up..  Makes it a joy to work in there..  I tried using a salamander type heater but it sets off the CO alarm right quick! :(

• HDWildBill said thank you

#74 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thought I would post the last few pic's of the shop.  First set is when we were doing the insulations and just finished doing the work bench.

DSCF0676.JPG  DSCF0677.JPG

DSCF0678.JPG  DSCF0679.JPG

This set is what it looks like today.  I have a JD L110 and a Craftsman in the compound waiting to come in for repair so it will get pretty full before long.  :D   But it is nice having some room to move around.

DSCF0680.JPG  DSCF0682.JPG

DSCF0681.JPG  DSCF0683.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#75 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:12 PM

That looks like it turned out to be an awfully nice shop :thumbs: .  I am jealous  :boo_hoo: .