24 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Guess there are a lot of ways to look at this? There are 4 laptop's, 2 Ipads and 4 android phones in the house.

The laptops are used for productivity, the Ipads for surfing (the wife watches a lot of movies on hers) and I guess the androids are for communication and some surfing.

Would not give up the laptops, though the Ipads are used more since we got them.

The Smart Phone, for myself, I really don't use it's features that much and am considering going back to a Dumb Phone when I replace it?  The only feature I would miss would be, being able to instantly check the weather forcast.

My thinking is a computer is only obsolete if it will not perform the tasks you want to do with it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 21, 2013 - 10:36 AM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I gotta have my 23" LED monitor but my keyboard is a PITA and I've been browsing when I get out to find one with huge, 'man-keys' Maybe someday someone will market such a thing..  I bought the wife a laptop online and it is nice but it gets filled up with all kinds of E-baggage from all her surfage all over the web..  A notebook c ould be in my future but I'm too cheap to buy something like that when it's cutting-edge and expensive..  Kinda like what I do with tractors??   :wave:   I'll never get rid of the PC as it is connected to all of my other hardware like scanner & printers which are also old and not wireless capable..  So as some of our tractor collectors are still holding onto 40 year old machines I'll be hanging on to my old PC.. :thumbs:

#18 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:09 AM

You must be smarter than me.  My son was kind enough to get me a Lenovo Android tablet for Christmas.  Aside from the fact that holding it is way worse on my carpal tunnel numbness than typing on my laptop will ever be, I am still not fluent with the UI, and I stink at "tapping".

I am more interested in getting something my 83 year old Dad can use.  I have his desktop set up as simple as possible but he still has lots of trouble.  Then again, he messes up his TV remote control all the time too!

#19 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:23 AM

"My thinking is a computer is only obsolete if it will not perform the tasks you want to do with it."

JD: Very good analogy and very true.

• Arti said thank you

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 01:43 PM

You must be smarter than me.  My son was kind enough to get me a Lenovo Android tablet for Christmas.  Aside from the fact that holding it is way worse on my carpal tunnel numbness than typing on my laptop will ever be, I am still not fluent with the UI, and I stink at "tapping".

I am more interested in getting something my 83 year old Dad can use.  I have his desktop set up as simple as possible but he still has lots of trouble.  Then again, he messes up his TV remote control all the time too!

Yeah Steve I gave up on my dad. When I updated my desktop several years ago I took the older one to my Dad.

He's pretty sharp and had he wanted to could have picked it up quickly. 6 month later he told me to come get it, he had not turned it on since I left it? At 80 he is still pretty active, last week he and my brother butchered and cut up two hogs. And it was just last summer he agreed that he no longer had any business climbing trees to trim them?

#21 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 02:06 PM

i can hook my tablet pc to our 55" tv which makes for a great monitor. add a wireless mouse and key board and you are set

100_1636.JPG

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 05:07 PM

DS: where did you find the fractured window background image?  That is neat, I love it!  :thumbs:

#23 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 05:38 PM

had to go hunting since i got it a few years ao.

here it is. you can pick the resolution you want.

http://wallpapertube...ws-wallpaper-10

• KennyP, HDWildBill and Arti have said thanks

#24 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:41 PM

"HOLIGRAPHIC MONITORS, BATMAN!!!!"

I'm stickin' with my PC until the mouse slips out from under my cold dead hand!  Besides, I ain't got any friends smart enough to call up on a smart phone.  When I upgraded my cell phone plan from the $6.00 a month one (new phone wouldn't use it) to the $30 plan, I made sure the lady at Verizon had "texting" blocked in and out on my phone.  Take that you text spammers!  Bad enough I have to let advertising go on out to the "Voice Mail Dead Zone".

Cell phone?  Just try and get me on it!  PC?  Just try and keep me off it!:D

• WNYTractorTinkerer and dodge trucker have said thanks

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thanks DS.