• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:59 PM

I treated myself to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for Christmas this year (7 inch screen). As I get used to it the desktop and laptop are used much less.

I tried Android a few years ago and didn't like it, now it seems to have matured into a useable os. I'm aware that the android phones have the same capability however my middle aged eyes and chubby fingers like the bigger screen.

I like the fact that it really didn't come with much for documentation and really doesn't need any. Within a few days I figured out how to navigate around the screens and install apps.  It won't replace my desktop for business use however for everything else like web surfing , email etc. it will soon be my computer of choice.

Microsoft is pushing Windows 8 on both the phone and  pad fronts, probably in a long term bid to stay alive due to what appears to be a future collapse of the traditional PC/laptop market.

iPad  was certainly the one that  created the demand for tablets, however it's facing less expensive and more powerful  machines running Android.

My thought is that the pc's except in a few businesses will soon be replaced with i phone and android phones, your comments are welcome on this...

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:05 PM

No way I wanna do without my PC with a large monitor screen.  I have no desire for a smart phone....too danged hard to see anything.

• HDWildBill, PappyH, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:12 PM

i have whats called a tablet pc which is a tablet and laptop in one. as for windows 8, it will never touch any computer in my care at home. everyone i have talked to that has tried 8 hates it.i use linux and will till the end.

• HDWildBill and Arti have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:24 PM

I have a tablet with Andriod install, it's Ok but I don't think it will replace the PC anytime soon.  I like to use Linux as well and with 4 desktops (I can also add to that number) to use and organize my work I find the tablet confining and my fat fingers don't do well with it.  My wife may at some point get a computer with win 8 on it but Like DS I will die using Linux.

• Arti said thank you

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:03 PM

No way I wanna do without my PC with a large monitor screen.  I have no desire for a smart phone....too danged hard to see anything.

I hafta agree  besides my son driving me nuts with his constnt texting....   but when I bought my home PC (I'm on the laptop right now)  I went to best Buy.  The sales people told me that even the newest whiz bang unit they had on the floor was obsolete because of what's already "out", whether the most recent thing was actually being produced at the moment yet or not

• marlboro180 and Arti have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:16 PM

I hafta agree  besides my son driving me nuts with his constnt texting....   but when I bought my home PC (I'm on the laptop right now)  I went to best Buy.  The sales people told me that even the newest whiz bang unit they had on the floor was obsolete because of what's already "out", whether the most recent thing was actually being produced at the moment yet or not

when I worked in IT trying to stay on top of what was going on in the industry was extremely tiring.  I would literally  spend 2-3 hrs each morning just going through the Tech sites and reading articles, looking through forums.  Our manager encouraged us to do this so we could advise him on different solutions to problems that cropped up.  But it does get old because you never catch up.  I'm now happy with my old computer and working on small engines and doing what I want to each day.

• Alc said thank you

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:39 PM

They DO say PC only has another 10years.  Not sure what kind of machine would be needed tho. Offices still need lots of typing and forms made and just keeping track of info. Even now on TV ads they are showing everyone in office having small hand-held and doing conferencing and other sharing of info thru them.

I am a little backwards on my tech. I had phone that was to go in web, found very hard to use, small and didn't like it. Now the new touch type are much quicker, have bigger screens. I'm thinking tablet too for browsing, yet not sure about phone use from them? and kinda big to fit in pocket to run around with. I-phone looks kinda neat, but wonder how much $ in aps and such one would need to actually replace a puter. And my old eyes need bigger sizes to see well also. Think there IS NO answer to All the problems, just have to find a normal that one can live with.  It will be obsolete in 2 years anyway! :(

• Arti said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Arti, I agree with you completely. Other than an office cubicle enviroment, I think the desktop PC will be dead in 5-7 years. And by that I mean new models are no longer sold for home use. Cloud data storage is the ticket, imo.

• Arti said thank you

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 11:39 PM

I like my real computers too, between desktops and laptops we have 7 in the house, I didn't want a "smartphone" either, fast forward 6 months, I really don't know what I would do with out it now. For business it's a great tool, I get e-mail from customers and vendors in real time regardless of where I'm at,with 5 GB of space and keep many contacts handy, along with notes, pictures of jobs/work to be done, track expenses, process credit cards,  etc. and it's a phone to. Loss count how many times I've needed set-up information on a job-site that I as able to look up on the web with my phone. Last night I needed to add something to my business website, did it while my wife was driving home after dinner.

• Alc and Arti have said thanks

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:50 AM

My wife I really enjoy using laptops at home . Here at work we have a desktop but the bosses are looking into getting laptops with internet access , that would be nice . I keep looking at our old desk top in the spare room sitting on a big computer desk . Our house is so small I think it's time for that to GO lol Al

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:59 AM

As long as it has the 20" screen, I'll use it! Ain't know way I can work off a phone screen. I'm like Bill, fat fingers don't work those little keyboards very well. I have a hard time using a regular keyboard, letters keep swapping places.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and dodge trucker have said thanks

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:02 AM

As long as it has the 20" screen, I'll use it! Ain't know way I can work off a phone screen. I'm like Bill, fat fingers don't work those little keyboards very well. I have a hard time using a regular keyboard, letters keep swapping places.

I'm with ya Kenny!  I'd have to use a stylus to hit the right keys, and I'd be slow as Christmas!  I guess I need to start hoarding PC parts & such so I can keep mine going.  If all I could internet with was a smart phone, you guys wouldn't see me on here much at all.  Maybe you'd look at that as a good thing though!  :rolling: 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm with ya Kenny!  I'd have to use a stylus to hit the right keys, and I'd be slow as Christmas!  I guess I need to start hoarding PC parts & such so I can keep mine going.  If all I could internet with was a smart phone, you guys wouldn't see me on here much at all.  Maybe you'd look at that as a good thing though!  :rolling: 

Nope, not a good thing. We need to know what the cows are up to. :bigrofl: Plus, I'm getting an education on BH's.

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Plenty other Bush Hog guys here these days.  But I have no plans on staying away unless my mind, body, or both quit on me.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:00 AM

With cloud data storage, the need for a tower just disappears?. I really don't understand what it takes to build a computer. If they can fit the rest into a smartphone, they could cram it into the box at the end of the bluetooth roll-up keyboard I posted below. Then a holographic monitor and you're good to go. From what I understand, the holographic monitor tech is already here? It's just that the leap to interactive hologram tech is really limited? Or really expensive?

Holographical_Interface.jpg

Mini-Wireless-Bluetooth-Flexible-Foldabl