Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 05:03 PM

Sorry for the rant/vent guys. Talked with a guy last night about a tractor he had listed on craigslist.This was the seconed time i talked with him yesturday.Told him i would take the tractor at our agreed price and would leave in the morning it was a 2 hour drive should be there about 11-11:30am he said fine.I asked him 3 times if i should call before i leave and he said not to worry about it just call him when i get close so i said ok.Drove about 100 miles his way had about 20 more to go and the phone rings it was him.He asked if i had left and i told him i was about 25 mins away.Then the fun begins.He told me he had another guy there and was orrering a little more.He told me the offer and i was :mad2: but was almost there so i said i would match it.Then he tries to start a auction whith me and the other guy and i told him what i thought of him after wasting my moirning and pulling the crap he was doing and where he could stick the tractor.Turned around and came home.Now i know money talks but moralls should be there also when a guy sticks a deal and has you almost get there just to shaft you.So a wasted 220 miles.Sorry for the rant.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 05:29 PM

That's OK to rant a bit Bob.I hate when that happens,I've had it happen to me a few times and it does make a person just a (little) mad .Sorry it had to happen to you.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 05:31 PM

Don't be sorry.That was a down right dirty trick to pull on you.I'd be mad as H as well.Larry

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 06:06 PM

If it had been me, I'd have told him in a nice calm voice to hang on, I'll be there momentarily and I'd have driven to his place. When I got out of my truck, I'd have asked which one of you is the guy who owns the tractor and then I'd have told the other guy.."sorry but this man and I already had a solid deal in place and I just drove for 2 hours to complete this deal. So, I suggest that if you have an ounce of integrity, you'll just get into your vehicle and leave while I'm still remaining calm. Then I'd hand the Seller the cash we agreed on and I'd start loading MY tractor. If he squawked, I'd ask him if he has a good dentist because I have a feeling he's going to need his services shortly.

The guy's a scumbag of the first order to try that crap but few of them have the balls to pull it off when staring you in the face and form the belief that they may come to harm by backing out of the deal.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 07:08 PM

I hate when people pull $#%^ like that! :shoot2:

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 07:46 PM

I'm with hydriv. I'd have told him "I'm almost there & coming to make good my half of the bargain and that's that". I'd tell him also that if he didn't make good on his half, that he'd be owing me at least gas money!
Usually I just roll with things, but that type needs their hands called. I'm not knocking your decision at all though. Sometimes it's best to walk/drive away. I understand your frustration totally. Venting is required!

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 08:05 PM

I have leaned over the years some people are not worth my time.I almost thought to match any price the guy offered just to get there and hand him the orginal offer.But deicided he was not worth another hour of my time.And yes i did think about a good butt kicking for him and had i not had a tenden reattached in my arm a few weeks ago i probly would have so all i can say is oh well i'll take the high road this time.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 08:14 PM

I'm with Hydrive and Dan. But I'd've probably done the same thing you did, Bob, as I have a bad temper when pushed into it and most likely wouldn't have remained as calm as Hydrive or Dan might've managed. I have found this to be a good place to vent as well! This is a great bunch of guys who seem to have a lot of integrity and you know you'd never have that problem with any of us! Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience though. Have a better day!

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 10:22 PM

Sorry to hear what happened to you. I probably wouldn't have pushed it, either. As possibly SOME consolation.... If he so easily did that to you, I wonder what else might have been a surprise to you once you got home with it. Even though most people might think you got screwed, I'd most likely chose to believe that someone was saving you from some bigger headaches. Those kinds of things tend to come back to people. There will be other GOOD deals for you, I'm sure of it.

#10 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 11:14 PM

Ditto to the previous remarks. That is always my fear - someone else muddying up the deal especially when it seems I live at least an hour from any prospective CL deal. However, I would like to pop in and say that I have had 2 good experiences over the last couple of weeks both as a buyer and seller with people that hate the same CL idiots as we do. I was sure to introduce both of them to our great website group of friendly people. I sold my MF620 blower today to a gentleman who shares our hobby in his quest to restore his MF12. We had a good time chatting over how to mount it while peering under my MF10 and both tried convincingly to convince his girlfriend how this hobby eases the soul. She, however said today's purchase allows her to get another dog.

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,189 Thanks
  • 5,212 posts

Posted September 13, 2010 - 05:19 AM

Thats bull S#$%.
I dont know how peaple think that kind of stuff is right at all.

#12 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 13, 2010 - 05:56 AM

Sorry you had to deal with a scumbag of a seller. That guy's word isn't worth anything and he certainly isn't much of a man for going back on a deal he made. There will be good deals coming in the future, chalk this one up to experience.