9 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:29 PM

I built a bracket and bar for plate style weights for my CC 129. My welding setup is lacking so the welds look really sloppy.  I think this should help a bunch if we get any snow.

DSCN0922.JPG

DSCN0923.JPG

DSCN0926.JPG

DSCN0927.JPG

I am looking for comments and suggestions other than a better welding setup :wallbanging: . 

Edited by bgkid2966, January 20, 2013 - 03:35 PM.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:49 PM

I don't think the problem is going to be your welds, as such.  While they may not be as pretty as they could be, it looks like you did get penetration.  I'm more concerned about what looks like a big long crowbar that is going to crank on the whole assembly every time you hit a bump or change direction.  Could you redo that, hang the bar parrallel to the ground, support it in the middle and stack plates on from each side?  Or if you need to have the rods upright, cut them in half and copy your set-up on both sides of the tractor so that the leverage isn't so bad?  Your next welds will get better as you practice :) .   For my money, the best investment in an arc welding set up is an auto darkening viewshade.  Harbor freight often has a sale on some as low as $39.00

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:01 PM

I wouldn't worry bout the welds...its apparently strong enough to hold all that weight so your lookin good from my view!!

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:03 PM

I am not here to criticize the welds. I agree with Howard on everything! I would go shorter and have 2 instead of one bar if it were me. If you need to use it like that for awhile, I would try to attach something even if it were rope from the top of your weight bar to maybe the seat bracket? Just so it eliminates the swaying a bit while in use.

Good luck! And It's great that you are trying to fab something up! That's the best way to learn! :thumbs:

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 06:49 PM

.   For my money, the best investment in an arc welding set up is an auto darkening viewshade.  Harbor freight often has a sale on some as low as $39.00

I have one of those Harbor Freight auto helmets. I love it! I need to save some pennies to get a better welder. The Pep Boys Vaper brand 90 amp gasless mig welder is not real good with heavy steel.

As far as strength goes, I was bouncing my #300 on it with the #114 of weights. This is a temporary setup until I make the wheel weights in spring. 

Geno

• chris m said thank you

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think we have all been there Geno! Sometimes you just have to make things work to get a job done. I just figured I would throw a couple things out there. I would hate to see it break something. Good luck and I hope you get some snow to try it out :D

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:17 PM

If you need to use it like that for awhile, I would try to attach something even if it were rope from the top of your weight bar to maybe the seat bracket? Just so it eliminates the swaying a bit while in use.

I could make a strap of steel and run it to the pivot mount above the rear end. That is where the angle supports for the battery box are attached. 

Thank you for the idea. These are the type of suggestions and comments I hope for. 

Geno

• chris m said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Too Ugly for Me to want on My tractor!  :smilewink: I would go for more than one stack also, or maybe Horizontal with arms off sides of body like a 3pt might have, then upper link also, same as 3pt.  Kinda looks like you would run that into stuff, like your shed door or car parked in the drive or street, ha! :(

#9 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Only problem I see is how far out behind the tractor the weight is. Not sure but is it going to reduce traction on the front tires? As far as the welds, make sure your wire speed is high enough when welding heavy steel. If it sputters and arc stops occasionally your wire speed is too low. I'm still learning with my welder but I know if you can get an even 'sizzle' sound, like bacon frying, your wire speed is high enough and you'll get good penetration.

EDIT: Just remembered something. My cousin calls them 'gorilla welds', ugly as a gorilla but just as strong! I've made quite a few of them. Once you get the wire speed right your welds will smooth out a lot. If you lose the arc because the speed is to low the metal cools and won't flow smoothly. Go buy a few junks of steel at TSC, cut them into small pieces and practice.

Edited by HankS, January 21, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#10 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks to Hanks and Howard, I think the weight bar is going to change to a horizontal bar. Now, I need to design brackets for the bar. I will figure it out.  :hitting_self_roller: Why didn't I think of that in the first place, duh!! :hitting_self_roller:

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. :thumbs:

Geno

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weights, traction, fabrication, welding