• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:23 AM

So I got this wizard a while back now. We had a warm day yesterday so I had a chance to get it all back together. New headlights and switch and they work, new voltage regulator, amp gauge shows a good charge when running...mower deck on and tested...problem I am down to is the electric lift. Is there a way to bench-test the lift? I messed with the wiring, checked all the connections and wiring against the manual( that i downloaded from this site, Thanks!!) and stll nothing. I would like to verify that the lift itself works, and I suspect that the switch is bad, has quite a bit of play in the toggle. Has a 6-terminal toggle switch. If I need to take the switch out to rewire the set-up, then I would really like to replace the switch too. Any Idea if MTD part#725-0175  (switch) is still available and if not, what a suitable replacement would be?DSCF5283.JPG

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Is there a solenoid between the switch and the lift motor? I'm not familiar with this setup at all. I would check for 12volts going into the switch and out of the switch to the load when it is activated. Make sure all the connections in the circuit are good. 

• pwombles said thank you

#3 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Bench test the actuator: one lead to battery +, the other lead to battery -. Switch leads to reverse the throw.

I don't think the switch is still available from MTD. You should probably replace with a double pole, double throw, center off, 20 amp, momentary toggle switch. You can get one at Radio Shack, auto parts stores, or online.

http://www.surplusce...atname=electric

• pwombles said thank you

#4 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:38 PM

Bench test the actuator: one lead to battery +, the other lead to battery -. Switch leads to reverse the throw.

I don't think the switch is still available from MTD. You should probably replace with a double pole, double throw, center off, 20 amp, momentary toggle switch. You can get one at Radio Shack, auto parts stores, or online.

http://www.surplusce...atname=electric

ok, so i tested it that way and it works....but i have what may seem to be a dumb question: when I tested it, it was off the tractor, and it spun instead of actuating in and out. is that normal with it being off the tractor? Due to my unfimiliarity to these, I feel like I need to ask.

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:58 PM

ok, so i tested it that way and it works....but i have what may seem to be a dumb question: when I tested it, it was off the tractor, and it spun instead of actuating in and out. is that normal with it being off the tractor? Due to my unfimiliarity to these, I feel like I need to ask.

It is most likely spinning because it is not mounted. If it is like a ball screw type deign then the rod will just spin until it is mounted in place.

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Chris answered your question.

#7 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:46 PM

gonna be getting a new switch and rewiring when it gets warmer. Thanks for all your responses!