What Is The Most A K301 Crankshaft

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 virginiacubfan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10791
  • 51 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I have a nice JD212 with I am getting going to use for cutting and plowing and I am rebuilding the engine and discovered the crankshaft is worn from the rod.  I am getting the block bored and was wondering if anyone knew what is the maximim the crankshaft can be machined down to.  I see some people offer a .020 rod, not sure how to go about this problem.  I would love any feedback on this topic.

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 2,113 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Most times it can be turned anywhere from .010 , .030 under. Have the machine shop mic it to see if it needs turned. Also once you know what size you need get the rod before it is turned so the shop can turn it to match the rod size.

Also if the crank don't need turned and the rod is rough a machine shop can rebore the rod and use it again.

Edited by bhts, January 19, 2013 - 11:19 PM.

• virginiacubfan said thank you

#3 virginiacubfan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10791
  • 51 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:38 PM

I can feel an edge on part of the connecting rod journal so i am pretty sure it needs machining also the rod is really sloppy once torqued down.  I would rather buy a rod than a used crank and rod to bo machined.  I just wasn't sure how much I could go one the machining.

#4 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,511 Thanks
  • 4,176 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:06 AM

I had a K181 crank cut .010 and put the undrsize rod in. It didn't last very long and it was knocking bad. When I pulled it back down the crank was worn bad. When I took it back to the machine shop I was told that they had run into instances where the crank wasn't hardened deep enough and it must have cut past the hardness. Basically it was sorry about your luck. Like they say, "Your mileage may vary!"

#5 Kyocum OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6171
  • 270 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 11:00 AM

I beleive on a 301 crank the most you can go is .020 under. I don't think anybody makes a rod smaller than that. If you have to go anymore than .020 a machine shop can put a 2 piece rod bearing in the rod to make up the differance. I had a 301 kohler  crank  that had to be taken -.040 and the machinist used a 2 piece rod insert just like in a car. After 10 years it's still running like a bear.