what a good friend.....better keep him on your good side....lol

• Watchdog said thank you

#17 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Loader? Would have no travel I wouldn't think and looks pretty light with thin rod. Might work as a bucket dumper?  That pump/tank looks like what they used on early Economy's.  Would think whole system has more value to IH fellas and a shame to break it up.

Looking at the ram length, I was thinking bucket dumper as well, but not sure it has even enough travel for that application.

Jeff

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:01 AM

It may work for a 3pt hitch but probably not good for a loader. You could always change the cylinder but the pump GPM and reservoir size would be limiting factors in terms of how large you could go and the speed at which the cylinder moves.

#19 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:03 AM

too bad you are so far away; is this 63 Cub an "Original"?  My son could use a deck for his...

Yes, it's all original.  Even original paint and graphics.  My friend is only using the Cub 125 to pull a cart around his hobby farm.  He has a big Massey GT with PTO and 3 pth, that he does real work with.

Jeff

#20 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:07 AM

It may work for a 3pt hitch but probably not good for a loader. You could always change the cylinder but the pump GPM and reservoir size would be limiting factors in terms of how large you could go and the speed at which the cylinder moves.

I hadn't considered the 3 pth lift, because I have been researching those as well from a DIY build perspective.

Jeff

#21 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the great feed back fellas.

Jeff

#22 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:23 AM

The factory loaders usually say 400 or 500 lbs capacity. The tractors front axle is really the limiting factor in the long run. That CC hydraulic lift probably wont do well because of limited reservoir capacity and a very small displacement pump. You need to get a CC and put it on that for plowing, rototilling and a box scraper. PER is doing an outstanding job of home building a FEL in a thread that started 23OCT12 http://gardentractor...ect-is-started/

Good Luck

Per's FEL looks pretty slick; he's quite a craftsman. 

For my own project, I'm thinking more along the lines of a modified Johnny Bucket http://johnnyproducts.com/.  It shouldn't put me too much out of pocket by keeping it a little more light duty than building a true FEL

Like the snow plow I built, I don't have a need for a loader but I want to make my GT as useful as I can and I'll learn a few things along the way.

Jeff

• boyscout862 said thank you

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:07 AM

The hydraulic lift should work real good with a Johnny Bucket. Still best off finding a CC to put it on.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,345 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:15 AM

I've got a Cub it would be great to have on.

#25 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:23 AM

The hydraulic lift should work real good with a Johnny Bucket. Still best off finding a CC to put it on.

Sorry Dick, but I don't know what a CC is.  Can you help me out? 

Jeff

#26 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Cub Cadet......I think.

Well, it looks like you've got ample ideas to play with here.....in the end to have something you could put out on the market for $200 is pretty cool. Based on your plow thread my vote is another DIY fabrication thread...but that's me being selfish. :thumbs:

Edited by Moosetales, January 20, 2013 - 08:30 AM.

• boyscout862 and Watchdog have said thanks

#27 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:42 AM

I type slowly so I shortened Cub Cadet to CC. I like my tractors rebuilt to factory original specifications. The hydraulic lift is the holy grail of options. Some of the original engineering on these old tractors is very interesting. I think that homemade attachments are an expression of imagination and skill.

#28 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:05 AM

I type slowly so I shortened Cub Cadet to CC. I like my tractors rebuilt to factory original specifications. The hydraulic lift is the holy grail of options. Some of the original engineering on these old tractors is very interesting. I think that homemade attachments are an expression of imagination and skill.

I can relate to the typing thing and I'm feeling kind of dumb about the Cub Cadet thing.  Oh well, I learned a couple things already today.

Thanks

Jeff

#29 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Yes, it's all original.  Even original paint and graphics.  My friend is only using the Cub 125 to pull a cart around his hobby farm.  He has a big Massey GT with PTO and 3 pth, that he does real work with.

Jeff

that sounds cool;  but what I was meaning is that the 1st GT that IH came out with in late 1962 didn't have a model number, powered by a 7HP Kohler and now a days is referred to as a "Cub Original" it has a square deck with a cogged belt between spindles

#30 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:06 PM

that sounds cool;  but what I was meaning is that the 1st GT that IH came out with in late 1962 didn't have a model number, powered by a 7HP Kohler and now a days is referred to as a "Cub Original" it has a square deck with a cogged belt between spindles

Actually the Cub "ORIGINAL" was available in 1960 thru 1963. IH built 100 Proto-types in 1960 for testing. 1964 IH released the model "70" and "100" as their second generation GT. The model "125" was in production from 1967 to 1969.

This Hydraulic lift is from a "125", it is from a 67-69 year model tractor and not off an "ORIGINAL"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts